Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Do you guys leave them plugged in when not in use at home? I thought I read someplace that is the thing to do......

Also Yeti used to sell a 12 volt inline regulator it works GREAT! anyone know of one anyplace? Or a comp cord? Pic:
1627556783229.png

Last anyone have a costway 53(?) qt fride cover? WHere did you get it, I need 2......

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Ours stays in the vehicle full time & as the cruzer is not a daily driver, stays in the barn full time, until it is trip time. The fridge stays off, with the lid open, as recommended by ARB.
We handle it very similarly with our Engel box. It lives always in the rig, plugged into the socket and remains switched off and the lid open when not in use for a longer period of time.

Reactions: MOAK

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
My fridge comes in the house when it's not in use.

As far as voltage regulation, I actually use one of these to stabilize my voltage:

Since I'm currently using an unregulated 540Wh lithium pack to run my fridge. This allows me to use the full capacity of the battery pack.

Reactions: Jim SoG and M Rose

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Do you guys leave them plugged in when not in use at home? I thought I read someplace that is the thing to do......

Also Yeti used to sell a 12 volt inline regulator it works GREAT! anyone know of one anyplace? Or a comp cord? Pic:
View attachment 205661

Last anyone have a costway 53(?) qt fride cover? WHere did you get it, I need 2......
Ebay has a few left for sale:

Never bought from this site, but they might have one left in stock:

Found this also, possibly make it yourself:

Reactions: Jim SoG and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've done it both ways, Jim, as far as keeping my ARB 50 powered up (whether 12v or 110) or not, even after using it 24/7 for months on end. And both ways as far as keeping the lid open or not if not powered. Even left food in there too long un-powered and had some serious science projects growing. Cleaned up nice-n-easy. Nothing has phased it.

If it's sat unused and un-powered a long time, I always give it and the wire racks a good sanitizing job with a bleach solution, then take the cover off and hose and spray out the fridge, keeping the condenser vents from getting wet.

I'll tell ya, treating like I have for four years in all sorts of environments and extremes, it takes a licking and just keeps on ticking. One of the best investments in adventuring I've made.

vannery-int_6042-900.jpeg

Last edited:

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
Our truck is a dedicated trail rig so we don't daily drive it. As such, we leave the fridge in it full time and just turn off the switch when not in use. We leave the lid open and just wipe it out come next trip time. My wife has a small 23l in her daily driver for ice cream and stuff when she goes to the store. We leave that one on all the time and so far after about 6 months, no issues. She does drive at least every other day give or take and our garage has climate control so not necessarily the harshest of conditions to work against it.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I leave mine on as much as I can (I have 3). My 1st fridge is an Engle MT45 which I bought in 2005 and It has been on most of its life and still works fine, it has also been in 2 car accidents where the vehicle it was in was totaled (and no fault of mine). The times it was off was after each accident and about once a year to do a deep cleaning for a day. My Engle MT 80 (4 YO) and Alpicool T60 (7 MO) have only been turned off to either move to another vehicle or to be cleaned.

Last edited:

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

If mine is going to sit unused for a while it is turned off with a rag propping it open a bit. For the last year it has been on full time- either 12V in one of the trucks or 120V in the garage.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
How about insulated bags for the fridge?

Reactions: M Rose

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I think that such a thermo protecttion cover helps, especially at high outdoor temperatures and can also reduce the energy demand. How much that makes in exact figurs, I do not like to quantify. It offers protection from dirt and scratches. It is important that the cover fits exactly and that the openings for the handles, feet, lid, etc. and - very important - for the airflow grids are in the right place and that these are not covered, so that the correct airflow is still provided.

Reactions: 9Mike2