Poll: I approach trip planning by...

• HTML tutorial

I approach trip planning by...

• What is this "planning" thing that you mention?

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I reach out to others for their planning data (GPX, camp spots, etc.) and rely solely on that.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I reach out for planning data (GPX, camp spots, etc.) and use that as a basis for my own planning.

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • I pore over maps in order to blaze my own trail.

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Planning schmanning

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Interested in how folks approach trip planning (and making a poll) ;)
Comments welcome!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
For me it depends upon the trip. Mainly "I pore over maps in order to blaze my own trail." and sometimes "I reach out for planning data (GPX, camp spots, etc.) and use that as a basis for my own planning."
Did I miss a mode of planning? Let me know!

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I tend to carefully plan and rely a lot on past experience from seasoned overlanders and websites like Trails Offroad. Pulling a trailer changes the calculus of what I'm willing to risk and what is reasonably doable.

Reactions: Ubiety

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I am more of a pour over maps kinda guy. But I do quite a bit of researching of spots and routes on the internet as well.
We did a 30 day trip last summer from TN to MT and back. We had A LOT of things we wanted to do and had people we were meeting along the way so it had to be planned well to fit it all in. We deviated from my 30 day plan only once out of the 30 days.
NOW! You do set yourself up for disappointment when you plan so rigidly. If you have a plan you need to have the ability to go with the flow and realize that it might not work out perfectly.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Since much of my planning is related to fishing and places I want to see, I do a lot of online research far ahead of my trip. I love to look at satellite views of of the areas I want to explore. I have nearly memorized large areas of several states that I plan to tour. That said, I have found some really good spots by chance just talking to the locals. Planning is a fun part of the trip but being open and flexible is very satisfying to an even greater extent to me. It's usually just me so I can change plans on a whim. Following my nose/instincts has worked well for me and it is a great feeling when you know you hit things right. Sometimes scrambling for a good campsite late in the day is a little stressful but it hones my skills and instincts for recognizing interesting spots. Sometimes the fishing is better or not as good as expected. Being flexible to spend more or less time in a spot is a big advantage.

Going cross-country I like to figure how far I want to drive and then search for good areas to stop. Eight hours/400 miles is a reasonable haul. I like secluded, quiet areas away from highway noise. Using a RTT I don't want a bunch of traffic noise. I have found some very nice places a mile or twenty off the interstate by just scanning the google maps. Then I print a page or two marking what I want to look at. I have a notebook and GAIA but I have not used it much. I know I'm too old school but I like paper maps. I have some factory gps navigation in my truck and while the mapping only shows the major roads out in the boonies I can back out and get my relative position so getting truly lost is not too much concern. I like getting a little lost but it's a good idea to remember your last several turns!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Great comments!

Totally agree with @FishinCrzy that the planning is part of the fun. And agree with @OcoeeG and @FishinCrzy that flexibility is huge - otherwise you will make yourself and others miserable. I find that the more prepared that I am the easier it is to be flexible; at least I have an idea of what lies ahead, to the sides and behind. I can make better choices with some situational awareness.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Great comments!
I find that the more prepared that I am the easier it is to be flexible; at least I have an idea of what lies ahead, to the sides and behind. I can make better choices with some situational awareness.
Never thought about it that way but it is so true. Preparation facilitates flexibility!! I like it!

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
It depends somewhat on the trip, however we generally follow a process:

1) Using fora, guides, internet sites, and information from others we pick the places we would like to include in the base plan (the dots)
2) We pick a sensible route (join the dots)
3) Using online information - google maps, guides, 'bus timetables, and our own experience to calibrate, we estimate the time between the dots. If the time required from one dot to another is more than a sensible day's travel time (2-8 hours depending on what there is to see and do en route, with time to explore the destination, once again based on what's there) we add an intermediate dot as a night stop
4) we then estimate the overall time for the trip as a base case
5) we then add in some additional time for a day's break every so often, and for contingencies (repairs, maintenance, etc.)

This gives us a route and an estimated time. We then review against any factors which may affect the plan (e.g., we cannot take our own vehicle out of the country more than 12 months). We then adjust the plan if necessary.

Once on the road, the plan is a guide, not a straitjacket - if we see somewhere we want to explore, we go there; if we learn that a part of route no longer makes sense we leave it out.

Reactions: Boort and Ubiety

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I set the area where I want to go and then check available trails and campsites, sometimes ask others about the area I want to go

Reactions: loper and Ubiety

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I’m a planner. Maybe too much so.. I’m actually starting to plan for a trip to Co/Ut for next summer (2023). I’ve done this just today. I typically scour the web for tid bits for POI, trail info, etc… I even create YT Playlists for trails I’m worried that could be too much.

Attachments

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I’m a planner. Maybe too much so.. I’m actually starting to plan for a trip to Co/Ut for next summer (2023). I’ve done this just today. I typically scour the web for tid bits for POI, trail info, etc… I even create YT Playlists for trails I’m worried that could be too much.
I actually really enjoy the planning - keeps it alive for me during the slow winter season when I plan the bigger trips of the summer.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I actually really enjoy the planning - keeps it alive for me during the slow winter season when I plan the bigger trips of the summer.
Lol I actually prefer the winter, no one out there with me and I can go pretty much anywhere that’s open. I only recently realized this after the past warming lol.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Depends on the trip… some times my planning only consists of how to get to a general area with out a clue as of where exactly in that area I want to go. Other times it’s pouring over maps and satellite imagery to determine the best possible route to fallow.

Reactions: loper and Ubiety

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I love maps. I can generally tell what sort of trail or road will be by looking at maps. However, maps are only as good as the cartographer that put them together... Since maps can be wrong, I will also try to look at local data regarding accessibility and recommendations. I also try to find some POI's in the area from magazines, books or online sources.

I have tried blinding following somebody else's map data (.gpx) on a whim. This is not my style and was very uneasy about the integrity of the data. I have serious doubts and questions about the level of research that went into the development of some data sets. Plus, tracks that are public and popular are ALWAYS busy. If you are somebody who likes to follow other peoples line on a screen, just know that give me severe anxiety...
Is the road really legal?​
Are you sure this isn't private property?​
Why is the file missing critical details?​
What road are we supposed to go down?​
Is that a hillbilly chasing us?​
Where is the gas station supposed to be?​

Since I haven't figured out how to get away for months at a time for exploring, I try to make my trips as efficient and fulfilling as possible. Even with the insane amount of research I do, there are always problems :laughing:
1651700700272.png

• Love
Reactions: P8trit and Ubiety