Planning my longest trip yet. Colorado to Canada then Mexico and back to Colorado

• HTML tutorial

Qaz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Qaz
Last Name
Mon
Member #

In two months I am running from Colorado up north and then across the top of the states to Seattle. Going to Canada near Seattle and then down the coast to visit a friend in LA. I'm gonna try and get all the way into Mexico. After all that headed back to Colorado. I am going to be geocaching along the way so the trip is gonna take a good amount of fun time. I have about 3 weeks set aside for the whole trip. Just got a tent for the truck so the nights should be easier to setup and sleep. No more sleeping in the cab for me!
I am currently trying to plan the whole trip and looking for places to camp along the way.

2022-06-13 20_58_17-Colorado Springs, Colorado to Colorado Springs, CO - Google Maps.jpg

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
This looks outstanding, but if you’re going into BC, why not hit Vancouver Island for some camping?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Where is it you plan to take a left and head west from in North Dakota? You may want to tool down the 191 in Montana through Big Sky to Gallatain Gateway. Gorgeous river

Qaz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Qaz
Last Name
Mon
Member #

Where is it you plan to take a left and head west from in North Dakota? You may want to tool down the 191 in Montana through Big Sky to Gallatain Gateway. Gorgeous river
I don't have any plans right now as to when. I'm just following a trail of geocaches around the states. Sounds like a great place to make a destination. Thanks!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I don't have any plans right now as to when. I'm just following a trail of geocaches around the states. Sounds like a great place to make a destination. Thanks!
Not sure by your map but that hard left towards to the west looks to be in the Badlands/Black Hills/Deadwood area. All great spots leading into Montana. In South Dakota you have the stunning Badlands and then the old west town of Deadwood where Wild Bill Hickock was shot and killed. And of course, Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monuments in the Black Hills. If you want to take a more southerly route you could hit Devil's Tower.

Once you are in Montana, be sure to hit Stella's in Billings for Breakfast and The Corral in Big Sky (Gallatin Gateway) for just about any meal or drinks as well. If you trout fish, you wont want to miss that Gallatin River.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
This looks outstanding, but if you’re going into BC, why not hit Vancouver Island for some camping?
That's a great idea! I will be in the area for a solid week, tons of time to explore. Any recommendations ?
I personally haven’t been, but The Story til Now on YouTube has spent a lot of time there. It’s on my list of places to hit when I make my way to the PNW

Reactions: Qaz and PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

A detour off Hwy 93 in Neveda, is to hit Great Basin N.P., plan in advanced to camp there and tour Lehman Cave, and the drive up to Wheeler peak... The are State Parks near Ely, NV as well.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If you are up that far in Montana, it would be a shame to not visit Glacier National Park.