Winchester, Indiana, United States
First Name
Bryon
Last Name
thomas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
I'm trying to validate the membership fee. Is it worth it?
My main reason for joining would be to find some semi local people to hit trails with. I don't know anyone else personally that likes offroading /overlanding.

Reactions: Kent R and markCHI

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
My main reason for joining would be to find some semi local people to hit trails with. I don't know anyone else personally that likes offroading /overlanding.
I'd say it is in the sense you're supporting the site and all the hard work that is done to keep it going and the benefits it offers, e.g. resource map, member deals and discounts, etc. But if you just want to meet like minds in your region, you don't need a membership for that, well unless you want to create a Rally Point in order to create a get together. My .02.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Is a membership needed to be able to get together with like-minded people in your area? No.

Is a membership worth it to support an extremely valuable collection of resources such as the forums, rally point, maps, discounts, videos, and articles? Yes. At the end of the day, the one-time membership cost is money that pays for an ad free site, ongoing OB1 application development, and so much more behind the scenes.

markCHI

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMW384 (GMRS)
I'm in same boat. Not a lot of activity in Illinois

ROUGEONE

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

First Name
Bryon
Last Name
thomas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
I sprung for the membership. It unlocks a few more features with the app. I really like the map of trails and resources.

ROUGEONE

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

First Name
Bryon
Last Name
thomas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Is a membership needed to be able to get together with like-minded people in your area? No.

Is a membership worth it to support an extremely valuable collection of resources such as the forums, rally point, maps, discounts, videos, and articles? Yes. At the end of the day, the one-time membership cost is money that pays for an ad free site, ongoing OB1 application development, and so much more behind the scenes.
It's a one time fee? When I looked it appeared to be an annual fee

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

They switched to yearly membership not too long ago. If you purchased a membership before then your supposed to be grandfathered in for life.

Reactions: Jedi

jgivens

Rank I

Traveler I

Fortville, IN
First Name
John
Last Name
Givens
Member #

I was debating the same thing, but having sprung for the membership, the cost per year is low, imo, and it opens up valuable resources. The forums are great, but the moneys from membership fees goes towards a lot more. Like was pointed out, it helps to keep the website up and going as well as app development, you get resources that you won't get otherwise.

In the end, its a personal decision, and if it just isn't in the budget, I doubt anyone would think any less of you for paying for the membership. You don't have to get the pricier memberships either, you can get just the basic to get the access, that is what I did (aside from the store saying my address wasn't an address...that's a whole different issue that I'm having addressed)...anyway. It's all personal choice. Do the pros/benefits to you out weigh the cons/detriments to you?

Reactions: Jedi and ROUGEONE

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

The subscription is $2.50 per month to support the site and its development. How many of us had $30 in subscriptions to some glossy paged magazine that was 50% ads, 25% glowing reviews of obviously crap products, and a 2 page article we actually found interesting? The rest were mailers for renewing the subscription at a discount if you referred a friend. If you read one good thread each month, you benefit more from this site than you did from the magazine.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
If you are looking for members in your area to go on trips with just use the member map and send a message. You can also contact our local Member Representatives @James.Laidlaw & @Ohio Valley Overland who organize trips in your area.

Our Mid West Regional Director @Mike W is a wealth of regional knowledge and can help you make contacts.

In general the yearly membership fee is how the new Overland Bound 1 app is developed and improved upon.

If you need more information about the fee contact support@overlandbound.com or you can email me anytime Kent@OverlandBound.com

renol

Rank I

Traveler I

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Lynn
Member #

That's the biggest downside to being in the Chicagoland area. All the good trails and places to explore are either out west or way east. Nothing really happening around here.

Reactions: markCHI

markCHI

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMW384 (GMRS)
That's the biggest downside to being in the Chicagoland area. All the good trails and places to explore are either out west or way east. Nothing really happening around here.
Indeed. Kinda sucks. Looking forward to getting to Hoosier and Shawnee forest when I can get 3-4 days weekends

I like door county (esp in Winter), but I'm not sure of any dispersed camping or even paid camp[grounds that are open in Winter

I do want to do the WI Adventure Trail

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

I am out of mid MO, not to fare I suppose by "Overlanding" standards. I am sure more opportunities will open up next year to get out. This time of year and given the state of things its difficult to get groups together. OB also does Rigs and Rides through out the year, that would be a good opportunity to meet others. I am using this time to buy toys for my rig for next year. Plan on getting back to Moab and Colorado next year, lots of places to explore and full sized friendly for us full sized guys.