Rank 0

Contributor I

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Suz
Last Name
Murch
Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I just purchased an iKamper (he works for Mainline Overlanding in Pennsylvania) and we have had the HARDEST time trying to find non-campsite places to get off-grid and away. We live in Philadelphia, have a lifted, off-road equip Jeep Gladiator. I'm from the PNW and would love to take him out in the thick to enjoy what it means to be truly AWAY.

~Any suggestions are welcome especially around locations and permits~

Reactions: Michael and TSO_NJ

Contributor I

Haddon Heights, NJ, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Egloff
Member #

I'm new to the area (North East) based in a suburb of Philly (Haddon Heights, NJ) also using an iKamper. I'd love to know what you discover! My wife and I are looking to do some campling this fall and we are completely unfamiliar with the NE (spent a ton of time in Colorado). Please share what you learn! Warmest regards.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

The link above shows the motorized camping sites in PA.

Search my screen name. I have a few threads showcasing primitive camping in Pennsylvania.

Any specific questions after you check out what we already have posted I would be glad to try to help.
Where do you find this info? I'm in Va. and would love to find info like that but for Va.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Where do you find this info? I'm in Va. and would love to find info like that but for Va.
Well.

Start here.

Then follow other links from those sites and research, plan, explore.

Purplelizard.com had maps for your area. They are about to finish one up for Shenedohah also

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

I do not know how close you are to those areas, but if close, driver over to the office, introduce yourself and what you are looking to do. At least in PA the foresters, Rangers and office personnel are eager to help
I'm in RIC, rangers down here in Va. also seem to wanna help you out to be safe and have fun. Makes their day easier!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Grunni I hate how OB sometimes does links.

The first link is easy to see. Click on the word George also
Don’t want to hijack thread but which link didn’t work correctly? Mind sending in a PM? I’ll see if we can handle it better. Are you in the OB1 app? Thanks.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I just purchased an iKamper (he works for Mainline Overlanding in Pennsylvania) and we have had the HARDEST time trying to find non-campsite places to get off-grid and away. We live in Philadelphia, have a lifted, off-road equip Jeep Gladiator. I'm from the PNW and would love to take him out in the thick to enjoy what it means to be truly AWAY.

~Any suggestions are welcome especially around locations and permits~
As an additional resource spot-check the Overland Bound app since locations are continually added.

If you have it installed this will open the map in your area:
39.9527, -75.1635

Attachments

Reactions: El-Dracho