Oz Tent RV-4 on a modified Suzuki Jimny. First look.

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Ireland
My friend Tomasz has been wanting a roof top tent for ages after more and more of our group have bought roof tents. However as we pretty much all have Land Rovers and he has a Suzuki Jimny, he thought it was likely to look stupid trying to put a tent on the roof. So he decided to shell out and buy himself an Oz-Tent RV-4. I know they are very popular in Australia for obvious reasons, but they are still rather rare over here in Ireland.

So he decided to head over to my house so I could create an unboxing and first look and setup video to share with you all.

What other solutions do any other owners of small 4x4s come up with?

To help us achieve our subscription target of 1000, we would really appreciate if you took the time to sub to our channel. Youtube screwed over all of the small channels like mine with their recent changes, so its a battle to get to 1000. Thanks.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

not to divert from your topic, my wife had a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara she drove that vehicle up to 350,000 miles & still ran when we used it in a trade in for her Nissan Pathfinder. If they sold Suzuki's here in the states still she would of bought another. Hardly any problems, replaced a radiator, rear axle bearing, front & rear seal to the motor. Typical maintenance on the vehicle & tire rotation.

Nice tent, goes up quick too. Roomy.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've seen owners of small 4x4's do all sorts of things for sleeping solutions, including making a rooftop tent out of small tents made for the ground, but it usually looks quit silly. There's no real reason for most people to actually have a RTT, especially when you can get tents that go up so quickly and easily as the OZTents.

I have an RV-5 with front and side panels, aluminized rainfly and extended ground cloth, and absolutely love it. I hardly ever use the RTT on my trailer now, keeping it mostly for company. The OZTent RV series are serious expedition gear and really meant to last. Bulky package, but SO fast and easy to use. The way they are designed and engineered is amazing, and the way they are constructed, with HD velcroed flaps over the zippers, which themselves are super HD, is nothing short of legend.

Good to see you on here mate, hope you do a bunch more posts here. Subscribed to your youtube channel and look forward to seeing what else you produce!

Dry roads and open skies, @Donegal Overlanding - best o'luck to you and your mates.

Reactions: GHQ1

Enthusiast III

Ireland
Thanks very much for the sub to the channel, genuinely appreciate it.

I like joining forums outside of the UK/Ireland because I find it fascinating all of the different techniques and gear in places like USA, Australia, South Africa. Overlanding is a much more popular activity so you have the market to support and sustain new products etc in the market.

Reactions: Road

TacomaMarkIII

Rank 0

Traveler I

I decided against an RTT for the RV-4 and I love it. I throw the tent on top of my bedrack, get to the site and set up. Best tent I’ve ever owned.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I decided against an RTT for the RV-4 and I love it. I throw the tent on top of my bedrack, get to the site and set up. Best tent I’ve ever owned.
Yeah, aren't they just the best? I was lucky to get my RV-5 used at a very good price. Paid less for the tent, side panels, extended ground cloth, rain fly, two stretcher cots, sidekick table, connector, and two chairs than just the RV-5 itself usually costs.

I'm keeping my eyes out for another one, perhaps a RV-3 or RV-4 to use, too, either in conjunction with my RV-5, or on its own, or off another side of my trailer awning (see below), depending on need. I give workshops and want to be able to house up to 6-8 people comfortably.

They OZTents work so well together and look really cool, too, face-to-face with the connector and awnings. Very functional, very durable, wonderfully designed.

roaddude_cadescove_frmabove_3209.jpg

Reactions: TacomaMarkIII

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

LOvely setup you have there Road. Is that a Bunduawn you have too?
Yes, it is a Bunduawn; one of the few thing I bought new. I knew it was exactly what I wanted, going around three sides like it does, and so quick to set up and close back up. I have a BunduEl for my van, too, but am waiting to finalize my pop-top decision before I install that.

Here's more of a bird's eye view of the Bunduawn and how much it spreads out. It goes out almost 8' in each direction, with diagonals over 10' long. It was a smart choice for the way I like to set things up:

yscamp-birdseyeawning_IMG_1544.JPG

Enthusiast III

Ireland
I have the Bunduawn myself actually, I have the full wall set for it too. I also have a Bundutop tent. I love their stuff. If you fancy it, hit up the channel with a sub, chasing the 1000 subs so I can monetize it again.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have the Bunduawn myself actually, I have the full wall set for it too. I also have a Bundutop tent. I love their stuff. If you fancy it, hit up the channel with a sub, chasing the 1000 subs so I can monetize it again.
Already have subscribed, unless this is on a diff channel there; I’ll have to check later as on this iPad thru the OBTalk app it’s wonky.

Yeah, I picked up a bunch of wall pieces at Bundutec USA in Iowa when I was out there recently and am anxious now to try them out for bad cold weather as well as warmer. They have some they had made locally that seem quite rugged. We should compare notes as time goes on.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Enthusiast III

Ireland
Hi Road,

Thanks for the kind words.

I will be sure to post up new videos and stuff. I love to share as much as possible because I get so much out of watching so many youtube channels based around the world. I just wish wish wish we had even slightly better weather for it. There isnt the same huge level of interest because its so cold and wet and windy so often!