Overlanding with instruments?

• HTML tutorial

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Who else likes to drag along the old acoustic guitar out to the middle of no where. Bongos, harmonica, noisemakers of any sort?
Has anyone else ever wanted to bring an electric and an amp out, hooked to the backup battery and solar, and play a sold out show to the birds and critters.
But i was wondering who brings what and any niftty packing ideas so your instrument isnt bouncing around.

Reactions: Road

cbonito

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Michigan
Member #

With the right inverter nothing's wrong with bringing an electric and some gear.
Just bear in mind, no guitars don't like humidity.

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Acoustic guitar is about all I have ever brought camping. I am more of a bassist, and like a drummer, a little harder hauling the equipment along.
Though my Jeep has been known for hauling my gear to gigs (barely any room for a passenger). but like the idea of a private concert for the wildlife ;)

cbonito

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Michigan
Member #

Acoustic guitar is about all I have ever brought camping. I am more of a bassist, and like a drummer, a little harder hauling the equipment along.
Though my Jeep has been known for hauling my gear to gigs (barely any room for a passenger). but like the idea of a private concert for the wildlife ;)
I really like the idea of bringing an electric and an amp. I miss my guitars badly when I'm away. I grow bored quickly with my acoustic.
Just another good argument for an inverter.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I rarely bring a guitar, just don't have room with the wife, kid, and gear. I have thought about grabbing my cheapo tele, and may bring that when we start doing longer trips. Don't need an amp, I'm a tube snob and there isn't anything small enough that would sound decent, I can play unplugged and be satisfied. I've been trying to learn harmonica, just to have an instrument around in the truck, but so far it's beating me.

I suppose I could pack my upright bass on the roof, but rain would be a killer...

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I’ve been thinking about a ceiling net of some sort for the back seat of my Tacoma to carry my beater acoustic in a soft case.
I’d still have room for the dogs and it would be out of harms way.

Reactions: chuckoverland

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

This brings back a bad memory of a night in Yosemite, on the Valley floor Camping. A motorhome in the same campground has a Pink Floyd, Darkside of the Moon, in the CD player. Turned up loud, with a window open. It played all night long, until the motorhomes battery when dead. We got up early made breakfast and went off on a hike. When we returned there was a note on the Windshield, asking for a Battery Jump. My response was only if you're leaving the Park. The Mrs. & I bought earplugs. The next trip to the Yosemite Valley floor brought MONO Winds, sounded like a freight train coming through camp.
DCG

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Last long road trip, after hearing a couple people play some great bluegrass and mountain ballads around camp in east Tennessee, I got to missing my old American-made Epiphone.

It is the first guitar I ever bought, used, way back in the 70's. I still have it, but it was back at one of the places I keep stuff. Narrow rosewood neck, nice inlay, great wood, terrific sound. Made in America before Gibson bought Epiphone and started making them in Japan. Anyway, I was itching to have a guitar in my hands.

When I went into town the next day, low and behold, I ran across one quite by accident. Left-handed too. Looked like it had never been played and had a good straight neck, so I bought it. Pretty decent acoustic for the money; a Fender cutaway with a built-in pre-amp and tuner. They go for only around $400 new. I got it for less than half of that, got a great hard shell case for fifty, and a couple sets of strings and a Kyser capo, so was tickled. Now it's my road guitar.

I plan on doing some outdoor recording this summer. I'm really looking forward to the challenge of setting up both video and sound and trying to do a quality recording.

I've hauled guitars around with me for ages without problem, including flown with them cross-country. Far as I'm concerned, the best thing you can do for an acoustic guitar when going in and out of different climates is to keep it in a good hard shell case with a tight cover. Then, well before using it, just undo the clasps without opening the lid. Making sure your kid or partner doesn't move it and potentially dump it out, of course, thinking it's clasped shut.

That'll let it more slowly acclimate to the different temp and humidity from where it was last out in the open. Then don't leave it out hanging around near the campfire, or leaning against some tree or on the floor of your tent 'til morning. Wipe it down and get it back in it's case.

In my van, it has a dedicated spot out of the way, which changes from time to time but is generally upright behind the driver's seat, as it's about the same height as my seat back and seems a natural fit. I don't do crazy wheeling or rock climbing, but I do bounce around a bit on back country and desert trails and have never had a problem yet.

Last edited:

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
I've taken an acoustic along to group camp destinations and raft trips but never really think about it when it is solo or the family...maybe I will

Reactions: Road

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

I've invested in a Martin LXME super durable and laminate not wood so it doesn't warp as bad. Also it's a mini Martin so easily packable and the sound is amazing.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Back in the day, I never traveled without my Yamaha FG-180. Fast forward 40 or so years, I never take a guitar along anymore. Need the room for other stuff. I bought a Baby Taylor some years back but I don't like it enough to play much and my younger son has swiped it anyway.