Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Are you guys insinuating that you're not the food? I was talking about black bears.

Good luck to yall in grizz land.

And it doesn't matter how clean your camp site is. They have a foot long nose, and I can smell your Cheetoz from here. They can smell bugs a foot under ground.
Well, we just camped for 7 of the past 9 weeks is heavy grizzly bear territory and did not see a single one. A black bear wandered by our camp within about 50 yards one afternoon, but because he did not associate people with free food, he just kept on sauntering by. Friends of ours continually mention that a bear encounter is less likely than being struck by lightning, to which I always reply, there’s a good reason for that. No one stands out in the middle of a field during a lightning storm. Sporting events are postponed, golphers go to the clubhouse and wait it out. Farmers come in off the field. Imagine if no one took cover. There’d be a crap load of lighting strike deaths every month. Same with bears, if we don’t take proper precautions we’d be reading about several deaths per month. I’ll continue keeping a clean camp.

Reactions: ZombieCat

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Reactions: Ethan N

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Black bears are no joke, either…

Sheesh that happened right when I moved here. Never heard the story.

My brother is a Park Ranger, worked in VA, GA, UT, I think a couple more places. He carries a paintball gun on duty, and earned himself the name "Walks With Bears." Only time I've ever encountered a bear was driving through WI. Luckily I kept it moving, haha.