Overlanding Solo in January in Anza Borrego?

• HTML tutorial

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
I am planning an overland trip w my son for Jan 5-12, starting out of Las Vegas with a well built rental Taco. Looking at Mojave and or Anza Borrego and a bit unsure how common it is to overland solo on these trails/areas in the winter. We are from NC w rock crawling experience n camping experience but first time overlanders. Looking for suggested destinations, sights, routes and ideally, company to join us to help get us kicked off. Your help n suggestions are welcome. Thx, Bruce

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

January will have a lot of people in Anza - not crowded, but you'll never feel alone - solo is not a problem, just make sure you are prepared with recovery gear. My wife and I go there every January and explore the trails. I would suggest getting "Anza Borrego Desert Region" book before your trip

-

Reactions: terryg and srotier

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like our solo plan has legs to go forward. The rental Taco recovery gear includes a shovel , tow strap & Max Trax, but no winch. Any other items we should include for recovery? Any chance you & your wife will be there during that week of Jan 5-12? Thx again

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like our solo plan has legs to go forward. The rental Taco recovery gear includes a shovel , tow strap & Max Trax, but no winch. Any other items we should include for recovery? Any chance you & your wife will be there during that week of Jan 5-12? Thx again
Never needed any recovery gear there, but did have MaxTrax, shovel, tow straps, and winch. We are planning a trip out there in January - we just moved back to the east coast after 7 years in CA - really miss all the off-road opportunities out there. A lot depends on Covid and travel restrictions. If we do make it out there, I'll let you know.

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
Welcome to the East Coast. Do you think a week is too long in Anza Borrego or should we mix it up with a few days in Mojave or Death Valley? (we are starting in Las Vegas). Thx

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

we always did one week in Anza, 4 days in Joshua Tree and a hotel for a few days in between in Palm Springs. Anza is big and there is plenty to explore - we have a favorite camping spot that I'll let you know about - I'll send you the details. Also, nice to spend a day or two in town - good places to eat.

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
"January will have a lot of people in Anza - not crowded, but you'll never feel alone"

Haha, for somebody coming from the East Coast, I'm not quite sure that's entirely true ;).

The whole place is cool with a lot of camping anywhere. I personally like Jasper Trail as one of the first places to camp. Fish Creek is a cool place, but there'll be more people there - but it's undeniably cool (in a State Park, not National Park, kinda way). Nearby Valley of the Moon has really cool camping too, but it's on the Mexican border, so you'd have to be comfortable with that.

Coming from Las Vegas, you might also consider doing the Mojave Road - I personally love that place and the landscape is quite varied. It's a good three-day trip end-to-end if you want to get the most of it.

A somewhat different place to consider (but on the way) would be Idyllwild / Thomas Mountain area. It's going to be weather dependent, but a lot of really great camping around there (it's mountainous with trees and granite, so not the desert experience).

Oh, and finally - solo is totally fine - I do that all the time and as long as you're staying off the trails rated hard, you'll be totally fine in the Taco. The winch isn't of much use anyway, since there isn't a tree in sight... (unless you do Idyllwild / TM).

Reactions: srotier and Tetron

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

"January will have a lot of people in Anza - not crowded, but you'll never feel alone"

Haha, for somebody coming from the East Coast, I'm not quite sure that's entirely true ;).

The whole place is cool with a lot of camping anywhere. I personally like Jasper Trail as one of the first places to camp. Fish Creek is a cool place, but there'll be more people there - but it's undeniably cool (in a State Park, not National Park, kinda way). Nearby Valley of the Moon has really cool camping too, but it's on the Mexican border, so you'd have to be comfortable with that.

Coming from Las Vegas, you might also consider doing the Mojave Road - I personally love that place and the landscape is quite varied. It's a good three-day trip end-to-end if you want to get the most of it.

A somewhat different place to consider (but on the way) would be Idyllwild / Thomas Mountain area. It's going to be weather dependent, but a lot of really great camping around there (it's mountainous with trees and granite, so not the desert experience).

Oh, and finally - solo is totally fine - I do that all the time and as long as you're staying off the trails rated hard, you'll be totally fine in the Taco. The winch isn't of much use anyway, since there isn't a tree in sight... (unless you do Idyllwild / TM).
not coming from the east - lived out in CA for years, and visited Anza a lot, January always had lots of visitors.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

not coming from the east - lived out in CA for years, and visited Anza a lot, January always had lots of visitors.
I think it was more a reference to the fact that for much of the east coast, it's impossible to get away from everyone... at least that was my experience throughout most of the mid-atlantic.

Reactions: KrelleKryl

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I think it was more a reference to the fact that for much of the east coast, it's impossible to get away from everyone... at least that was my experience throughout most of the mid-atlantic.
I thought about that after I posted - makes sense, but after being in Anza during the 2019 Super-bloom, that was the most crowded camping I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Fall winter time is the desert "season" out there. You'll have the most traffic out there then. Maybe more so with COVID and everything being closed down. You'll still have plenty of room just watch for SxSs and dirt bikes.

Alertchief

Rank V

Advocate III

Henderson, Nevada, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
mountain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Alertchief
I am planning an overland trip w my son for Jan 5-12, starting out of Las Vegas with a well built rental Taco. Looking at Mojave and or Anza Borrego and a bit unsure how common it is to overland solo on these trails/areas in the winter. We are from NC w rock crawling experience n camping experience but first time overlanders. Looking for suggested destinations, sights, routes and ideally, company to join us to help get us kicked off. Your help n suggestions are welcome. Thx, Bruce
Hit me up for the Mohave part at least. I was just out there and am often. I am in town at my place in Vegas that week.

Attachments

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, great to have local knowledge. Is there a map or book that offers trail ratings? My map Anza doesnt show trail ratings just Jeep Trail vs hiking etc. I've got an Anza guide book on order and have not looked into a Mojave guide book yet. The only place I've seen ratings is on You Tube videos and I'd enjoy doing some of the canyon trails I've seen but not sure the Taco with a Khaya camper will squeeze thru. Any suggestions for rated maps etc?

And for Alert Chief - we could meet up for Mojave early in our Jan 5 -12 trip or at the end. We'll be spending our first night (Jan 5th) Mojave so maybe hitting that area first makes sense, but we are flexible.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, great to have local knowledge. Is there a map or book that offers trail ratings? My map Anza doesnt show trail ratings just Jeep Trail vs hiking etc. I've got an Anza guide book on order and have not looked into a Mojave guide book yet. The only place I've seen ratings is on You Tube videos and I'd enjoy doing some of the canyon trails I've seen but not sure the Taco with a Khaya camper will squeeze thru. Any suggestions for rated maps etc?

And for Alert Chief - we could meet up for Mojave early in our Jan 5 -12 trip or at the end. We'll be spending our first night (Jan 5th) Mojave so maybe hitting that area first makes sense, but we are flexible.
There is a good Anza Borrego App - I have it for the iPhone, not sure about android version. Really good, has a great map with hiking, camping, and off-road trails, with description and user ratings - some describe the trial difficulty. It's called "Anza-Borrego Region" - ‎Anza-Borrego Region

spazegun2213

Rank V

Advocate I

San Diego
First Name
ross
Last Name
miller
Member #

and subscribed :)
I'd love to know what you all plan and if you're looking for a partner in crime Jan 7-10ish...

Alertchief

Rank V

Advocate III

Henderson, Nevada, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
mountain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Alertchief

I am in town then and could do a night or two with you either on Mohave or Dv if you like. Titus canyon entering deaths valley is amazing. Let me know.

Reactions: srotier