First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Overland Bound Community,

My name is Lucas and I am here to talk about Overlanding/Camping with a dog. While it is an easy decision to bring your 4-legged companion along, there are some things to consider before you do.

#1: Is your dog healthy enough for travel and the adventure? I.e. Up to date on vaccinations, no health issues, can handle the climate, can handle long hours on the road and going down the trail?
- This is key before you plan on bringing your pup along. Some dogs, unfortunately, are not suited for camping and Overland travel. You know your dog and your vet can ultimately tell you whether it's a good idea or not to take them. Beyond health, the travel to a destination or stops might also dictate whether they should come along or not. Climate/weather is also another factor since some dogs are built for certain conditions while others can handle varying conditions. My pup is younger and in great health, but I still do consult my vet whenever we're in for check-ups and vaccinations to be sure he's good to go.

#2: Can you bring your dog along everywhere you go? If no, what can you do about where you can't take them? Any restrictions with campsites, attractions, municipalities/countries staying in? Attractions sometimes do not allow dogs. Campsites usually have rules regarding dogs and the etiquette with them, certain municipalities have restrictions/regulations on dogs while countries have their own varying rules and regulations. Definitely research this!
- I have gone places where I could not take my dog everywhere. Sometimes I chose not to go to certain places. Other times I found arrangements for them so that I could go. Ultimately it is up to you and what you want to do/see, but don't think you can't take them places and do thing with them as there are plenty of places to go with dogs.

#3: Carrying enough food and water for them.
- I pack out enough food for my dog based on the days I plan on being gone, with maybe 1-2 extra meals in the event things don't go as planned. My dog is raw fed so I can easily find him more food if needed. I package his food out per meal and freeze all but 1 day worth, then stick it in the cooler with ice blocks, then move a meal A good rule of thumb for water is approximately 1oz per 1lb of body weight per day. You know your dogs drinking habits, but I usually expect a little more consumption based on increased stress and activity. I tend to carry extra water as often as I can just because I don't want to be without potable water at any point.

#4: Gear - bed, blankets, leash, lead, toys, treats, collar and tags, animal/vet records, towel, bowls, first aid kit to accommodate needs of dog, etc?
- This is just as difficult to plan for as it is to plan with your own stuff. I tend to over-plan in general, so that's the case when it comes to weather. Extra warm gear if it's even remote supposed to be cool, and vise versa for hotter conditions. First trip I took, the weather changed on the drive out. Temps dipped down around 15* or more at night. I picked up another blanket and a better dog bed that I still used today that has some sort of coating on the materiel to resist water and keeps relatively clean, but is also machine washable. We were more comfortable because he didn't have to share body heat with me unless he wanted to. Most organized campsites want your pup on some sort or leash/lead, so I always carry one. Bowls for food and water, but I have a collapsible bowl for water on the road as well. I'd recommend keeping one of these collapsible bowls in any vehicle you take the pup in since they're super pack-able and I would consider them a need when I travel with a dog, even for a short period of time. Toys...well they're gonna get bored in the rig. Tags on a collar is a must just in case something does happen and you both get separated. My girlfriend's dog, a blind basset hound, was somewhat famous at OXW this year because he figured out how to open the zipper on our tent and managed to escape in the middle of the night. Unfortunately he lost his tag along the way so the good folks that found him weren't able to just call us. Luckily we were able to get him back Towels are good for brushing off dirty/muddy feet and drying them off. If your pup is like mine, he finds any water or mud....oh well :pensive:. With his gear, I tend to go for something that is tough, pack-able, easily cleaned, but nothing too crazy expensive because it will get used and abused. Make sure your first aid/trama kit can accommodate your pup! This is key since they're needs are different from ours, but some stuff they can use. Make sure you have any meds they might need. Pepto chews are one I tend to carry all the time for me, but my pup can take them should he have some tummy troubles. Poop bags are a must! Bring plenty!

#5: Safety - secured animal and gear while traveling, food secure for any other critters looking for a meal, muzzle if needed, commands dog knows to stop/return immediately? Like all passengers, your pup should be secured while riding.
- There are many methods, but I find my pup doesn't move unless it's time to get out at a stop. On the trail or on the road, he sits on his bed or in a seat. I have looked into a restraint and have a way to restrain him if needed while driving, but haven't had to do so yet. Better to have this option as things change constantly depending on many factors. Like all other gear, keep it secured. Food being secured is just as important with dogs. I clean up after mine once he's done just because raw is a little more enticing over kibble. This means it's in its container and inside my secured RTIC cooler. Muzzle might be required dependent on many different factors, but that will be apparent in your research for each stop/destination, as well as the needs of your dog. Commands are key! I constantly work with my dog on his commands but still rely on a leash/lead since he'll be in uncommon areas and can spook.

Be sure to take more breaks on the road! While most dogs can go 4+ hours without a break, it's best to get them out so they can stretch since they're cooped up in the rig. It's convenient that I need to fill up every 3-4 hours on the road so we fill up and walk around a bit.

The key thing is to enjoy the adventure with your pup, because they will love going with you and experiencing new things. There will be a learning curve for both of you, as well as added stress, but you both will learn by doing and will be more comfortable each time. Some of this might be overkill, but it is good to be over-prepared for them.

**RuffWear is a good company to get some quality gear for your pup, but anything will work initially. Use what you have and get what you don't have but will need.

*For reference, I have a mini Australian Shepherd named Roscoe*
albumPhoto (2).jpgRoscoe.jpghootch and roscoe.jpg

Last edited:

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Took my 2 year old German Shepherd camping for the first time this year. I personally had never took a dog camping before and wasn’t sure how she would handle the situation. There is a campground I frequent in Virginia that is relatively small but usually not very crowded. I get so frustrated when I go camping and people bring a dog that does nothing but bark the entire time they’re there, so I was worried my dog might do the same. This was not an issue at all with Izzy (my dog’s name).

The other concern I had was the drive up there. It takes about 3 hours to get there and the longest car ride she had ever been on was only about 1 hour. I with held food the morning we left to decrease the risk of car sickness since we were going to be driving down some very curvy roads. Only had to stop once because nature calls. I have a plastic bin that I kept her food, bowls, and medication she has to take daily in. I keep them in the cab of the truck at camp to keep the critters away.

Sleeping arrangements were the next concern. Unlike some people me and Izzy do not sleep together. She’s a big dog and sheds so bad that it was just something we never did. She likes her space when she sleeps and so do I. She sleeps in her crate at home and will not go to sleep until I close the door (I think it’s a security thing). I drive a double cab Tacoma with a camper shell and a rooftop tent on top of the shell. I put her crate in the bed with the windows open. I kept the tail gate closed when we went to bed and left the hatch open so she could get plenty of air flow without having to worry about something climbing in the bed of the truck.

So far this year we’ve went on 3 trips, all to the same area. Every trip went extremely well, better than anticipated actually. Looking forward to many more together.

Attachments

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Took my 2 year old German Shepherd camping for the first time this year. I personally had never took a dog camping before and wasn’t sure how she would handle the situation. There is a campground I frequent in Virginia that is relatively small but usually not very crowded. I get so frustrated when I go camping and people bring a dog that does nothing but bark the entire time they’re there, so I was worried my dog might do the same. This was not an issue at all with Izzy (my dog’s name).

The other concern I had was the drive up there. It takes about 3 hours to get there and the longest car ride she had ever been on was only about 1 hour. I with held food the morning we left to decrease the risk of car sickness since we were going to be driving down some very curvy roads. Only had to stop once because nature calls. I have a plastic bin that I kept her food, bowls, and medication she has to take daily in. I keep them in the cab of the truck at camp to keep the critters away.

Sleeping arrangements were the next concern. Unlike some people me and Izzy do not sleep together. She’s a big dog and sheds so bad that it was just something we never did. She likes her space when she sleeps and so do I. She sleeps in her crate at home and will not go to sleep until I close the door (I think it’s a security thing). I drive a double cab Tacoma with a camper shell and a rooftop tent on top of the shell. I put her crate in the bed with the windows open. I kept the tail gate closed when we went to bed and left the hatch open so she could get plenty of air flow without having to worry about something climbing in the bed of the truck.

So far this year we’ve went on 3 trips, all to the same area. Every trip went extremely well, better than anticipated actually. Looking forward to many more together.
You sparked an addition to my post. Thanks!

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

This is a great idea for a post!

I'm used to travel with Chata, my 3.5 Border Collie. She's been travelling with me since 3 months old. It is very important to get you pup used to travel as much as you can when you plan to have them as travel buddies!

Some of the tips I can give to all of you:
  1. Have an individual bag with all of their needs when travelling, blankets, toys, "bed", food bags, collapsible plates, dog boots, etc. Always keep that bag full, and when you travel only choose whatever is going to be needed on that rip, this way you will never loose or forget stuff.
  2. Always carry an extra leash on the vehicle: this is Very Important... I carry it because of two reasons: if I find a lost dog, I can help... but when I go camping is very easy to lose your leash, or if you need to have your pup on a leash during camp, you can have an "extended" leash.
  3. Poo bags: I carry many rolls on the truck, always one roll with me and another on Chata's packpack...
  4. Where to sleep? Due to the medium size of chata, she usually sleeps with me in the ground tent. Some hotels and hostals do not allow pets, and she is used to sleep inside the truck, never had any problem... just take them to pee & poo before going to bed and let them run for a while so they are out of energy...
  5. Don't get angry at them if they do not attend at the first time: remember that some dogs are not used to go out to the campsites and most of the dogs are very curious... your dog and you must have a great time, so bring treats to keep "training" them during camping... I've seen a lot of dogs that are out and do not enjoy the trip because when they can be "free" they are afraid because their owners are always yelling because they are "looking around".
  6. Understand your dog and always keep an eye on it: there are sometimes that our pups can be stressed due to several facts: long travel, strange noises or odors (that we do not perceive) and can react in an agressive way or run away...
  7. ALWAYS HAVE A DOG TAG on them.
Old picture:
IMG_1853.jpg

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

This is a great idea for a post!

I'm used to travel with Chata, my 3.5 Border Collie. She's been travelling with me since 3 months old. It is very important to get you pup used to travel as much as you can when you plan to have them as travel buddies!

Some of the tips I can give to all of you:
  1. Have an individual bag with all of their needs when travelling, blankets, toys, "bed", food bags, collapsible plates, dog boots, etc. Always keep that bag full, and when you travel only choose whatever is going to be needed on that rip, this way you will never loose or forget stuff.
  2. Always carry an extra leash on the vehicle: this is Very Important... I carry it because of two reasons: if I find a lost dog, I can help... but when I go camping is very easy to lose your leash, or if you need to have your pup on a leash during camp, you can have an "extended" leash.
  3. Poo bags: I carry many rolls on the truck, always one roll with me and another on Chata's packpack...
  4. Where to sleep? Due to the medium size of chata, she usually sleeps with me in the ground tent. Some hotels and hostals do not allow pets, and she is used to sleep inside the truck, never had any problem... just take them to pee & poo before going to bed and let them run for a while so they are out of energy...
  5. Don't get angry at them if they do not attend at the first time: remember that some dogs are not used to go out to the campsites and most of the dogs are very curious... your dog and you must have a great time, so bring treats to keep "training" them during camping... I've seen a lot of dogs that are out and do not enjoy the trip because when they can be "free" they are afraid because their owners are always yelling because they are "looking around".
  6. Understand your dog and always keep an eye on it: there are sometimes that our pups can be stressed due to several facts: long travel, strange noises or odors (that we do not perceive) and can react in an agressive way or run away...
  7. ALWAYS HAVE A DOG TAG on them.
Old picture:
View attachment 110195
Oh yeah the poop bags and leashes stay in the back of the taco. The only time I ever need them is if I take her somewhere. She just roams free in the yard at home. She Just stays beside me where ever I go around the campsight or campground

16E2F529-0AED-4A19-A2B3-6620A352EFC1.jpeg

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

Yeah, here in Mexico some campsites ask you to have the dog on a leash until certain hours, then you can set them free...

Oh yeah the poop bags and leashes stay in the back of the taco. The only time I ever need them is if I take her somewhere. She just roams free in the yard at home. She Just stays beside me where ever I go around the campsight or campground

View attachment 110199

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
We travel with two German Shepherds. I wouldn’t leave without them and we’ve never felt limited by their presence — quite the opposite as they give us a good excuse to pull over and explore the occasional trail or scenic area on foot. Even on our “urban” destinations like California we had the dog (just one at the time) and we were able to go to Disney and do all the stuff the dog-less people did.

My wife is a vet technician (like a Registered Nurse, but for critters) and she is a genius about this stuff so I might get her to chime in. I’m sure she’d be happy to answer any questions anyone has, just post ‘em up!

A few things to mention:

1) Do you have snakes or venomous spiders in your area? What about the places you are travelling to? If so, train your dogs to be wary of snakes. You can and should condition a Dog’s snake response because if he’s never seen one before, it could cause problems due to curiosity. Snakes are not fun sticks and a bite can be fatal. Spiders less of an issue in North America but same principle applies.

2) Make sure your vet knows exactly where you will be travelling and ask about non-vaccine meds like a heart worm or flea/tick treatment.

3) Make time for exercise. All dogs need to move every day, or that energy becomes nerves nd they behave in ways to get that energy out — sometimes destructively.

I’ve found that dogs are incredibly adaptable. People spend so much time worrying about whether the dog will be OK or not that they get stressed and your dog will feel that and get stressed too. That’s where the car sickness, barking, etc. come in. Dogs are rarely worried about the situation they are in — they are usually worried about their owners feelings and stress levels. My experience tells me that if you are able to manage yourself, you’ll manage your dog far more easily.

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

The latest of your post is so true!

If you are stressed about your dog, you will stress it! So keep calm, and remember that they can adapt almost to any weather/situation!

I’ve found that dogs are incredibly adaptable. People spend so much time worrying about whether the dog will be OK or not that they get stressed and your dog will feel that and get stressed too. That’s where the car sickness, barking, etc. come in. Dogs are rarely worried about the situation they are in — they are usually worried about their owners feelings and stress levels. My experience tells me that if you are able to manage yourself, you’ll manage your dog far more easily.

Uncensored

Rank 0

Contributor I

North East, PA, USA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Stewart
Your Aussie Shepard looks just like mine! Except mine is a Aussie Shepard / Huskie Mix so he has short hair instead of long. We are planning on taking him on his first campping trip in a couple weeks, Thank you for all the tips!

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

This is a great thread! Lots of good info. I’d like to add being somewhat of devils advocate and since my property borders a rural Park. Please keep in mind that not all people love your dog as much as you do. Over the years off leash dogs have frequently approach my children in our yard, chased, attacked, and killed our chickens. Five in just the last year. We have also on two separate occasions had people’s dogs chase our cats into and around our house.

Not once have I ever been upset with the dogs themselves but I have had some raging interactions with irresponsible dog owners that even though their dog was in my house or repeatedly smashing into my chicken coup. All while giving me the “oh don’t worry he doesn’t bite” or “sorry he’s just a pup”. Just be responsible and respectful of others. Even if that means having to keep them on a leash some times.

My Girl

E43C7275-C75C-4631-A0B7-7DF71532BEC3.jpeg

Last edited:

Supernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Heinze
Member #

I do almost all my camping in the desert. As I understand it, there’s no vaccination for the Mojave Green, but there is a canine vaccine for other more common rattlesnake venom. I gave it to my dog. One shot and a booster a month or so later.

My half lab, half border collie is insatiably curious and I worry about her and snakes. Anyone have an effective way to train a for a good snake response (as opposed to let’s sniff and bite this weird thing) as mentioned in the prior post?

I’ll add as an edit that canine rattlesnake vaccine does not snake-proof your dog. If bitten, the dog must get to a vet immediately. The vaccine only tempers the damage and may save the dog’s life IF you get to a vet ASAP. I suppose this goes without saying but just want to be clear.

This is my girl, Mendocino.

5636EEA9-26A2-47ED-8FEA-61743828A06C.jpegA9F36496-D02B-46E5-BC86-BD4A546D1EDB.jpeg

Last edited:

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Very good posts above. There are a lot of people who will NOT like your dog or pet and you must stay vigilante on controlling them for their safety and to be polite to others.. There are actually a LOT of people who do not want a dog sniffing, licking, or jumping on them or having their personal space invaded by you or your dog... If you think it's inappropriate to sniff or grope someone then it is also inappropriate for your dog to do the same. I have found when I have my dog with me most people will NEVER tell me this because they are trying to be polite.

I was about to bear spray a dog and his owner once because an off leash dog ran over and jumped all over some other people then made a bee line for me. Since the dog had just run through over a 100 feet of poison oak I was not too happy about him wanting to jump on me... Fortunately the inconsiderate owner called the dog back but, he was very upset I was willing to bear spray his beloved dog or him for being hostile too. I explained my last bout with poison oak landed me in the hospital and I prefered to not repeat that visit. After explaining his dog was covered in poison oak sap his girlfriend was not to happy either. It was her car and she told him he could walk home too.

Another point is, in the wilderness when off leash running free they are harming the environment by causing a lot of wildlife to be on alert and stressing out because dogs are predators. In many National parks dogs are not allowed on trails and are seldom if ever allowed to run free. I would guess it is because they may harm other wild animals or even bring an unwelcome guest back with them like a bear or mountain lion. There are cases where people have been killed or injured because of this. It's not fair to the dog or the wild animals when this happens in reality you should allow your dog to be killed or mauled before you take aggressive action towards a wild animal whose home you have invaded.

I consider all these things before I take my loved ones out in the wilderness yes, also including my relatives and family... I love my pets but, I must always be considerate of other people and the environment. Even if this means leaving them with relatives, friends or even home alone for a weekend.

Some days I like them with me other days I like the freedom of them being at home....

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
All good points. Our indoor dog barely meets the requirements lol. Anti social and very protective. Not a good mix for our travels.

• Haha
Reactions: ChepoCDT and Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Very good posts above. There are a lot of people who will NOT like your dog or pet and you must stay vigilante on controlling them for their safety and to be polite to others.. There are actually a LOT of people who do not want a dog sniffing, licking, or jumping on them or having their personal space invaded by you or your dog... If you think it's inappropriate to sniff or grope someone then it is also inappropriate for your dog to do the same. I have found when I have my dog with me most people will NEVER tell me this because they are trying to be polite.

I was about to bear spray a dog and his owner once because an off leash dog ran over and jumped all over some other people then made a bee line for me. Since the dog had just run through over a 100 feet of poison oak I was not too happy about him wanting to jump on me... Fortunately the inconsiderate owner called the dog back but, he was every upset I was willing to bear spray his beloved dog or him for being hostile too. I explained my last bout with poison oak landed me in the hospital and I prefered to not repeat that visit. After explaining his dog was covered in poison oak sap his girlfriend was not to happy either. It was her car and she told him he could walk home too.

Another point is, in the wilderness when off leash running free they are harming the environment by causing a lot of wildlife to be on alert and stressing out because dogs are predators. In many National parks dogs are not allowed on trails and are seldom if ever allowed to run free. I would guess it is because they may harm other wild animals or even bring an unwelcome guest back with them like a bear or mountain lion. There are cases where people have been killed or injured because of this. It's not fair to the dog or the wild animals when this happens in reality you should allow your dog to be killed or mauled before you take aggressive action towards a wild animal whose home you have invaded.

I consider all these things before I take my loved ones out in the wilderness yes, also including my relatives and family... I love my pets but, I must always be considerate of other people and the environment. Even if this means leaving them with relatives, friends or even home alone for a weekend.

Some days I like them with me other days I like the freedom of them being at home....
Cougar & coyotes do a pretty good job at keeping our local cat & small dog population in check.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

All good points. Our indoor dog barely meets the requirements lol. Anti social and very protective. Not a good mix for our travels.
But at least you know & understand that. No shame in that. Good for you, other travelers, and most of all your dog. Unfortunately some don’t understand it or just try to force it. Results are never good. Seen a lot of bird dogs that “just don’t hunt” much to the disappointment of their owners.
They turn out to be some of the best family dogs ever and at the end of the day that’s all that really matters to me.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
But at least you know & understand that. No shame in that. Good for you, other travelers, and most of all your dog. Unfortunately some don’t understand it or just try to force it. Results are never good. Seen a lot of bird dogs that “just don’t hunt” much to the disappointment of their owners.
They turn out to be some of the best family dogs ever and at the end of the day that’s all that really matters to me.
One of my best dogs was an un trainable old bird dog.

Reactions: Ghost

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yes after 15 years I know my dog very well lol. My dog has trained me well.

• Haha
Reactions: l_vandyke and Ghost