Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

What kind do you use gun holster ? Just wonder what is really comfortable . I like metal guns, like Berretta or Taurus, all 9 mm guns. I feel no reason to shoot or not time to shoot, but use hammer weapon.

Reactions: Ubiety

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I carry a 92g or 1911 in 9mm in a TacX belly band. It is very comfortable, very adjustable. I've had shoulder rigs, IWB, OWB and this low cost TacX is much more comfortable.

Reactions: Ubiety and phlfly

bucksandbrews

Rank III

Advocate I

St. Louis, Missouri, United States
First Name
Trent
Last Name
Lunsford
Member #

I like Aliengear's stuff for the guns that I don't mind a bit of wear on. Very comfortable and very versatile. If your looking for something for a nicer gun that you don't want rubbing around in a plastic holster wright leather works make some fantastic holsters. They have a bit of a lead time usually but it's well worth the wait. They're all handmade and once broken in are probably one of the most comfortable holsters I've ever had.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Thanks for idea I will look at this . Does it not sweat you ? Just just sure if it's enogjt breathable material

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I like steel guns, too, and carry big heavy S&W N-frame revolvers. I wear either a Clark Fork Leather chest rig or an OWB R Grizzle Leather Georgia Snap 2. Both work very well and look great.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Are you concealing or open-carrying? Do you want to be able to wear it while driving for hours? Does the holster need to be compatible with other gear like a backpack or a large coat?

I have tried a lot of holsters over the years, but won't be able to provide much value to you without a little more context :).

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I carry 1911, 92F or Glock 20 when on trail or camping. All larger frames. IMO it is Kind of depends on the activity and personal preference. Because of my options, I use Alien Gear holsters because I can interchange the shell and type of holster. I either use my hip or ISW holster. Recently I used a chest holster on a trail. I actually really liked it, especially under my coat. Again it depends on preference. Just make sure you know the laws if you decide to wear it under a coat or wear something covering your firearm. Here is California they are very strict.

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
I like steel guns, too, and carry big heavy S&W N-frame revolvers. I wear either a Clark Fork Leather chest rig or an OWB R Grizzle Leather Georgia Snap 2. Both work very well and look great.
I to have a Clark Fork chest rig for my S&W 4 inch 44mag Mountain gun, Chris did really nice work, shame he sold the business.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I prefer leather pancake holsters. For me, they conform a little better and are less obtrusive to snag on stuff when hiking, hunting, around camp or getting in and out of vehicles. I use a Galco Fletch (strap retention) when carrying my Kimber Ultra Carry and recently went to an Urban Carry Lockleather for my Springfield XDE (my EDC).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy9610

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
I did mention woods carry already, like I said there, a chest rig seems, for me at least, to be most useful. A properly fit one will be out of the way of things like a slung rifle, regular back pack straps and such. But for regular daily carry, I usually have the same three slot, thumb break Desantis on that I have been using for three decades now. I think the model is called the clearance thumb break scabbarb. It is secure, very well made, completly cover the entire trigger guard and hold my pistol in tight to my 4'oclock hip. I can draw from it very easily and more importantly reholster without having to search for the hole. The thumb break has not opened unless I wanted it too in 30+ years, so I'd say the quality is there. I own three different ones because I sometimes want to carry a Glock 26 or 30 instead of my usual 19. But honestly the 19 holster doesn't show it's age, I have never done anything to it except wear it and dry it off if it gets wet. Well, enough said, I have droned on long enough, suffice to say although I own many holsters, I almost always wear my Desantis for "social work". It just works. And they don't cost a small fortune either.

Reactions: SgtMac

Contributor II

East Tennessee
First Name
James
Last Name
vvvvv
I go total old school on holsters while out in the woods:

I use this to carry my G17 or G19. Even thought they were made for the thinner (and outdated:smilingimp:) 1911, the Glocks will fit. What I did was took a wash cloth and soaked it in very hot water. I then rolled it up and put it in the holster like you would the completly antiquated 1911. I did this a few times so the leather would open up. Then I took my much more superior G17 Gen 5 made out of high tech plastic and porcelain and let the leather reform and dry. I let this dry like this over night. Just keep the 1911 away from the damp leather, as it will probably rust in an unusable mess.

Afterwards it's a very tight fit. I just slid the G17 in and out a ton until it became easier. We did similar with the M9s, also better than the 1911, when I was in the Marines.

All kidding aside, it makes a good trail holster since it is not riding on your hip. Soon as you hop out, it's right there and very comfortable. You can also wear a back back with it or throw on a vest and about the only thing someone will see is a leather strap.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lindenwood

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
Been using the Kenai chest holder for my glock 20 for couple years backwoods carry. Last year swapped out the holster piece for one that will work w/ the glock 20 and mounted streamlight TLR-1.

Reactions: Tommy9610

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
What kind do you use gun holster ? Just wonder what is really comfortable . I like metal guns, like Berretta or Taurus, all 9 mm guns. I feel no reason to shoot or not time to shoot, but use hammer weapon.
Alien Gear holsters are very comfortable. I would start there.

Contributor III

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Ludwig
CrossBreed is a great holster for sure, started with them, then switched to stealth gear. Same style holster just breaths on those hot summer days. I EDC 14+ hrs and you forget it’s their

Cold_Front

Rank III

Contributor III

Dublin, Ohio, United States
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I’ve had good luck with cook’s holsters. Their velcro holsters can be adapted to packs or chest rigs or a vehicle. They also make iwb holsters with utiliclips which help when wearing thinner clothing or switching carry position on the fly. I can switch from a appendix to the 5 o clock sitting in my truck.

HKLover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

Been using G-Code for years. HK VP9, VP9sk, P30, P2000sk. All real comfortable holsters for IWB. All Kydex covered in what they call "Tactical Fuzz" that is very soft on the skin and doesn't become sticky or hold odors when sweat on.