darkland

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Chula Vista, California, United States
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hite
What is everyone's mileage on their Overland Rig? I just picked up a 2008 FJ with 130k and this will also be my daily driver but i'm luckly enought to work from home. I have some plans to put some miles on this rig and got me wondering about everyone's average mileage.

Let's see them Odometers!

Attachments

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
It might be a bit hard to see but my overlanding vehicle is currently at 104394 miles. I bought this one new back in 2013.

1667924681242.png

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I'm currently sitting at 88k on my truck, if my wife's Jeep ends up getting into the mix for some of our travels then that has 110k currently.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
120,000 on the X Trail (still in the family but not ours now), 71,000 km on the Montero (ours in Colombia), 107,000 km on the Wrangler (ours in Canada). We had 202,000 km on our LC80 at the end of our "big trip" with it, then around 210,000 km when we sold it in Kenya. We drove an LC70 in Zambia with 535,000 km on the clock (which didn't work, we asked when it had stopped working and the answer was "It wasn't working when we bought the vehicle 6 years ago". We met a guy in Argentina who had over 1 million km on his LC70.

With good care and maintenance I'd expect at least 300,000 km on an LC70 0r LC80. We are unlikely to reach more than 200,000 on the MOntero baseed on current plans (so it'll last another decade or two), and we will probably sell the Wrangler at the end of 2023 or 2024 with 150,000 or 200,000 km on it (unless we set up base in Canada, in which case we may just keep it).

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

My primary Overlander is my '11 Silverado 2500. I forget the exact mileage, and I'm in the Bay Area for work and the truck is home in Vegas so I can't pull the exact mileage, but IIRC it's just under 140k miles. Some might think that's high for something you're trusting for your life-support "off-grid" but I've had enough new vehicles to know that anything can let you down and you need to be prepared for a vehicle breakdown even if you just drove your rig off the dealership lot. To me being prepared for a breakdown means Sat Comms (like an inReach), enough food/water to last the longest you could reasonably expect a rescue crew to make it to your most remoted location planned on a trip, the right clothes/gear to survive for that same time in the most extreme weather you could possibly face in areas your going, etc. Also, I'm over-the-top with maintenance. My truck got switched to all Amsoil synthetics a few thousand miles into its life (after a reasonable break in). I'm talking engine, trans, t-case, both axles, power steering, coolant, etc. I change the oil ahead of schedule, even though the Amsoil should allow longer intervals. I change the trans fluid every 2nd oil change which is WAY ahead of schedule and every trans fluid change I do the spin-on filter, ever second trans fluid change I also do the in-pan filter. The axles I've changed every 20-30k which is way ahead of schedule, but with the SAS the front is obviously now non-stock and the rear got fully rebuilt so I now plan to change them annually (which will prob only be ~10k miles). I'll prob just do PS annually from now on with the big tires to turn. Fuel filters I do way more often, but more on that...

I also pay attention to known potential issues on my specific vehicle. In the case of the '11+ LML Duramax that is the CP4.2 high-pressure fuel pump. It's semi-common for them to go out sometime after 100k miles. Generally it happens to poorly maintained trucks, especially ones that pushed fuel filter changes until the dash warning comes on. On the D'max trucks there isn't a factory lift pump, so the high-pressure pump has to pull the fuel all the way up to the engine from the tank which they are not particularly good at. As soon as it's fighting a clogged up filter it becomes really hard on the CP4.2. On my truck I added a lift pump with additional filtration and did a CAT fuel filter adapter on the factory filter location so I have 3 total fuel filters (one of which is a water separator) and I change them often. Anyway, when my truck hit 100k miles I had the CP4.2 changed out (for another new OEM unit, yes you can buy modded ones but I've had poor luck with non-stock parts too many times). While the front of the engine bay was ripped apart I had the water pump, every rubber hose/line/belt, every clamp, every pulley or idler/tensioner, etc. etc. etc. changed. None of them were "bad" or showed signs of failing soon but it was just "worth it." IIRC the whole job was somewhere $2-3k, if I have to do that every ~10 years or ~100k miles I'm a-okay with that vs. having the CP4.2 fail and take out my whole fuel system (a $4-5k DIY job, $10k dealership job).

My other two Overlanders are 100k+ too, my Xterra has ~145k and my WJ has ~110k (but is getting a new motor, rebuilt/upgraded trans, just got new axles, the t-case was just rebuilt, etc. etc. etc.).

-TJ

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Primary rig is a Jeep JK with 110,000
Secondary / local rig is a Jeep WJ with 210,000
Ram 3500 with 130,000
Not an overlander, but have an old F250 with close to 400,000

Would take any of them across country without any worries, In my opinion preventive maintenance and owning a vehicle long enough to know when something is out of whack before a failure point is far more important than the total number of miles.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Our 80!series has 356,000: I’m reasonably expecting to get 450 to 500,000 at an average of 12,000 miles a year that’s a ways off. It’s not a daily driver, it is for touring only.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
bought the Tundra new in 2018 and the wife and i put on the first 35K miles in a year and half...then covid hit and we slowed down a bit and are currently close to 80K now.

P1000451 (3).JPG

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
bought the Tundra new in 2018 and the wife and i put on the first 35K miles in a year and half...then covid hit and we slowed down a bit and are currently close to 80K now.

View attachment 244764
We had 60,818 km on the Montero clock in December 2019, we were locked down from 2020 March 20th with 60,950 km on it. Currently at 71,428 km. So, we've driven 10,610 km in our primary vehicle, at home, in 35 months - 303 km per month.

To be fair, last year we put 5788 Km on a rental in Iceland, this year we also put 21,632 km on our Wrangler in Western Canada on a "big trip" as well as 1435 km on a family car in Nova Scotia, 557 km on a rental in Québec, and 5788 Km on a rental in Central Europe in the same period.

So, 54,801 km in 35 months - 1566 km a month on average.

Reactions: grubworm