Overland Trailer - Lowe’s 3x5 Carry On - Kevin

• HTML tutorial

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Step 1: Locate a 3x5 trailer that has been sitting at Lowe’s for a while, then talk the Lowe’s manager down from $479 to $350 by using cash and pointing out as many scratches and dents as possible. Buying in winter also helps.

Step 2: Cut and grind off all the expanded sheet metal, and the fenders, and most of the angle iron uprights.

Step 3: Cut off the tongue.

Step 4: Weld on a Curt 36” 2x2 receiver tube.

*Wheel adapters/spacers are on the way. I aready have matching Mitsubishi Montero wheels, and new matching Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires in the same size as the Montero.

Plans are to use 1.5” angle iron, 1”x2” uprights, and 1” crossbars to make a perch for our 2 Road Showers, 4’ Lifetime table, 42”x48” Tepui roof top tent, and 4 X-Bull traction mats. Inside the trailer will be 3 XL Plano cases. On the tongue will be an aluminum diamond plate tongue box I just scored on Ebay for $90 shipped, which will hold the toolbag, compressor bag, and recovery equipment. This will leave the back of our Montero for our cooler, and the dog. In theory we could double stack the Plano cases and fit the cooler inside the trailer if needed. Will likely weld up some Jeep style fenders that we can step on, and will probably weld in a floor and sides. The more dirt we can keep out the better (hence the expanded sheet metal going bye-bye).

I’ve been working with my middle child on this one. She is 14 and getting a grinding internship. More pics to come.

Oh yeah... My 8 year old helped name it Kevin... (I don’t name vehicles, but it doesn’t have an engine, so I let it slide)

James

2F0FECFB-FBCC-466A-B7C5-A27E8F35C6C4.jpeg

94AA5F4A-DA4D-4A4B-911F-7CB27F92DEF8.jpeg

3EA94F36-A057-44B0-BF56-5BB486C67181.jpeg

AAF5924C-B3EA-4A5B-A9DC-260C6B0C2B08.jpeg

F4BD0563-BAD7-42E0-B56C-5F55161AAFCE.jpeg

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I am diggin' this and look forward to seeing progress pics.

Kudos to you for having the kiddos are involved.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Moving right along...

Found one corner was out of square (height-wise). Cut the old weld off, ground it down, adjusted the height, re-welded.

Welded the tailgate in for rear support.

Removed a stripped hex bolt from a wheel adapter...

Ordering steel this week for the “super structure”...

James

E476EAF1-0803-4EB7-BCEA-65F96009935A.jpeg

D99D3E74-611E-4682-ABBF-7895775BBBC9.jpeg

7F7D578A-85EA-4BA4-A87D-66D55769E418.jpeg

8D7C4ECE-470F-49BF-8DE5-E7866CD04EA2.jpeg

B115BCE1-7365-4703-ABB2-23DE7EC01999.jpeg

Reactions: Jimmy P and bumpo83

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Got some more done over the last couple days.

1. Axle flip
2. Removed the small leaf from the leaf spring pack
3. Welded in 2” center sleeve
4. Welded in rear hitch receiver
5. Welded up some parts of the underside that had not been welded from the manufacturer

I’m probably not building this the same way as others, and that’s okay... The key thing to remember is that this will be an ultralight 3x5 trailer with an extra long tongue for jack-knifing ability. No batteries, no solar, no fridge... just a very simple setup with roof top tent, 3 Plano cases, some toolbags, and a set of 4 X-Bulls.

James

AB497D33-F8E8-472E-AB99-663962AE0740.jpeg

99C06AEE-DFF1-44C3-B08A-BA37F930A160.jpeg

Reactions: Jimmy P

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

More progress... got the sides trimmed and spot welded in. Got a lot of the paint stripped off on the inside. For the grand finale: Found out the Mitsubishi Montero wheels are not going to fit... here are the specs:

15x8
6x139.7
+48 offset

I ordered 4” of adapters and spacers to move the wheels out, but I’m kinda over it. The cons are quickly outweighing the pros here.

Pros (for using Mitsu wheels):
-I already have the 2 spare Montero wheels
-Having all the same wheels would allow the use of the full size spare anywhere it’s needed.

Cons (for using Mitsu wheels)
-Adapters
-Spacers
-Wheels are hubcentric (Adapters are lugcentric)

At this point I’m seriously considering sending the spacers and adapters back, and instead buying 0 offset or negative offset (trailer offset) wheels that go right onto the trailer hubs (5x4.5).

I’m gonna think on it a couple more days. Goal is to have this up and running before a February 23 overlanding trip with some friends...

James

BECAA8EC-C7A1-4FDD-903F-DE7F06E29DBD.jpeg

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Made a decision today. Ordered a Lippert 3500# straight axle (no camber) in a 59" width with a 6x5.5 (139.7) pattern on the hubs. Should be in about 3 days before the first trip... LOL... sounds about right... LOL

This will allow me to use the Montero wheels like I originally planned, with no spacers or adapters.

James

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Mine was originally a 4x6 Carry on trailer. After nearly 10 years of building, modifying, and learning some very tough lessons, I'll offer some free advice. The slipper springs will pop out of the slipper while rolling over washboard or any technical terrain and/or the slippers will break. The axle is way too small. The first two trips equalled two new axles, because when the bearings fail at 75mph plus, they seem to take the spindle with them. After 3 trips, and 3 failures, I replaced the toothpick with a 3,500 lb EZlube Dexter axle and replaced the springs with 3,500 lb double eyes. Dexter builds to your specs and are not expensive, considering how long it will last.

I sure wish I knew how to weld then I could have done a really nice job on it like you are doing. You are to be congratulated on your build.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Thank you! What did you do on trail when your slipper springs fell out? How did you recover from that?

James
I was able to ratchet strap the loose spring to the other frame side to keep it somewhat square.. when we got to camp we Jacked it up high enough to remove the axle, then remove the spring, reinsert in the slipper and bolt everything back together. Thankfully we only had to tear down one side..

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Purchased double-eye leaf springs today to avoid what was mentioned above... the saga never ends apparently... in another few days the only thing left of the original trailer will be some angle iron...

James

jenren81

Rank I

Contributor III

Colorado
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Renshaw
I'm loving this build...I have a 4x6 trailer of the same brand that I've had for like 13 years and am wanting to do pretty much the same that you are doing here, I've been brainstorming forever and it's nice to actually see you do what I've been trying to visualize! What gauge steel did you use for skinning the sides and bottom?

Keep posting pics please as you finish :)