Overland EPIRB

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Williams
I spend a lot of time in the backcountry in very remote places. I am in the market for an overland EPIRB. Like Spot.

I want something I can drop in a backpack and either relay my location to family as an FYI and also to send an emergency request if I break a leg, etc.

What's out there other than Spot? Anything cheaer? Or better in some way?

TYIA. D

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

I use a Garmin InReach Mini, used to use a SPOT, but wanted to upgrade to two-way texting and in doing so, rather than upgrade my SPOT I switched to Garmin's sat network, which is better. There are other options and if you just want a emergency button, there are various PLB's on the market with no subscription required.

Contributor III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Williams
I use a Garmin InReach Mini, used to use a SPOT, but wanted to upgrade to two-way texting and in doing so, rather than upgrade my SPOT I switched to Garmin's sat network, which is better. There are other options and if you just want a emergency button, there are various PLB's on the market with no subscription required.
Thank you for the post. Who can you text with? Folks on a cellular network or do they need another Garmin device?

ESF 9

Rank V

Explorer I

Virginia, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Huddle
Im also using the Garmin Inreach network using a Garmin 66i.

To answer your question depending on your monthly plan you can text anyone with a cell phone. I pay for 10 texts or so a month with unlimited presets. I tend to use a preset to send a text to 2 people that im camping for the night and it sends my current location and a link to a password protected website that plots me. Depending on your plan you can have it live track you on the website and have it set that people can request your current location. I have been very happy with my decision to go with the inreach system.

I didnt look at any of the other brands when I bought mine since I was already familiar with garmins having owned several other devices.

Dirt-Merchant

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
First
Last Name
Last
Ham/GMRS Callsign
[Private]
I carry an ACR ResQLink PLB with me any time I'm on a trip / camping / overlanding / boating etc.. I think of it as an eject button. I dont needit for comm/checkins personally.

They have a product called the Bivy Stick that turns your cell phone in to a Satt phone/device as well as a emergency PLB (Global Rescue). Maybe that suits your needs?
"Use the Bivy Stick to turn your cell phone into a satellite communication device. With global satellite coverage via the Iridium satellite network, anywhere you have a view of the sky, you can communicate through the Bivy Stick."

https://www.acrartex.com/

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
If you want an EPIRB-like device then you want a PLB, places like REI have various models to choose from. These are emergency-only, no service/subscription required, SHTF and get you out type devices.

If you want to check-in and communicate with family then that's a satellite communicator, not a PLB or EPIRB. The Garmin inReach devices are popular (my wife has one), but I opted for the Zoleo satellite communicator (better battery, slightly different features, and better device and service pricing, IMO). With both the inReach and Zoleo you get a dedicated phone number to send/receive text messages with any other SMS-capable device with a phone number. The Zoleo device makes use of the Zoleo smartphone app for non-checkin and non-SOS messaging, the app is handy because it has a "follow me" function where it uses the cheapest communication method first. Meaning if someone sends an SMS or email to your Zoleo number or email address and you're connected to wifi then it will get delivered over wifi and not count against your satellite message allotment. If you have cell service but no wifi then it will use cell, and if you have nothing but satellite coverage then it will use that.

I've been very happy with the Zoleo unit and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for check-in and off-grid SMS/email and it's definitely better than nothing when it comes to SOS, however if you want to ensure redundancy and emergency locating then I would also invest in a PLB.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Sounds like you need a Sattelite Communicator. I use a Garmin In-reach which works well.

I also carry a personal locator beacon PLB. It's only for life and death situations, which includes situations that could develop into such.

By the way,
The difference between an EPIRB and a PLB is an EPIRB has a longer battery life and a tether to attach it to a boat.
The longer battery life is necessary because boats keep on moving with the current and winds.
The shorter battery life in a PLB on land is not an issue as once the unit is activated, the location is recorded.
Being on land the user should be staying in the same location until rescued.