• HTML tutorial

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

After several years of having to learn how to eat and drink well backpacking/kayaking, I wanted to start a thread on overland cooking/bartending! Like our host we like beer and other beverages in camp as well as good food. If you got a good recipe for food or drink please share!

One of our favorites is chorizo tacos, this one is fast and easy with some eggs, pre-sliced peppers and cheese, best washed down with Tecate beers. Wash the top of the can and pack some limes, (also good for the Patron you packed,right?) Squeeze the limes on top of unopened cans and then sprinkle with kosher salt. Picked up the beer trick from a Anthony Bourdain "No Reservations" episode and have found it to be a very satisfying post trail/river trip.

Cheers...

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Wilson Dude this is GOLD! I love the beer can idea! That is just perfect! I'll add a recipe here:

Campfire Potatoes:

[*]15 small red potatoes, cut in half.
[*]4 Garlic cloves
[*]1 can of Beer
[*]One can 15oz Spicy Diced tomatoes
[*]Whole basil leaves, or a sprig of rosemary

Make a large aluminum foil bowl that is enough to fit the potatoes. Put in chopped , cover with the tomatoes, pour in half the beer (drink the rest), throw in garlic, and toss on the sprigs or basil. Cover with aluminum foil making a water tight pouch. Throw directly on your campfire coals, or on a close grill, for about 40 minutes, turning once. You need all that liquid to keep the potatoes from burning, and the result is awesome!

Get creative with this one. It's very flexible, and you can toss just about anything into that foil pouch!

M

drumber

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orlando, Orange County, Florida, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Healy
Member #

I'm heading to Prewitt Ridge this weekend and will get some photos of my Hangover Hash and post up when we get home. You can all thank me for the rain we'll be getting, it seems to be a thing when I start packing for adventure.

Reactions: SonOfNeptune

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Ok, will have a recepy or two here as well.
Problem, one is asian and indonesian. That is were my father came from.
So, it is called Saté, Sateh.

Well, take a good deal of sambal. this is like chilis, but in different tastes. Garlic, Ginger, and then we have a problem. Ketoumbar, Satéherbs, sugar and sojasauce.
Pork meat and scewers.
Anyway, it looks like this

I make it a lot, but out of my wrist, no real recepy.
Together with the Satésauce, which is made from the same ingredients but with peanutbutter. It is absolutely great.

Another dish is Fish very hot, Vis bedis.
Take alu foil. take garlich, chili (a lot) some small chopped onion, some herbs you just like. Close the foil and put it on the bbq.
It tast great.

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

CARNE ASADA.. ( BEEF RIBEYE Steak Butcher Shop Beef Rib)

I love this cut. meat is juicy and tender. Every time i go fishing/camping, I bring one or two pcs. this time I had after a lonnnnnnng day of fishing. It came out delicious.
I gave it like 3-4 minutes on each side. and that was it. I put a little bit of sea salt and pepper. some tortillas, scallions some chopped onions and cilantro and Bam!
for the scallions, all I did was , I put them in a zip lock bag and add some olive oil, salt and lemon. them put them on the grill almost same time as the meat. not long, you know , they cook fast, but I also like some burn marks on them.
Enjoy
Frisly

Reactions: Justinwrains

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

3787 said:
CARNE ASADA.. ( BEEF RIBEYE Steak Butcher Shop Beef Rib)

I love this cut. meat is juicy and tender. Every time i go fishing/camping, I bring one or two pcs. this time I had after a lonnnnnnng day of fishing. It came out delicious.
I gave it like 3-4 minutes on each side. and that was it. I put a little bit of sea salt and pepper. some tortillas, scallions some chopped onions and cilantro and Bam!
for the scallions, all I did was , I put them in a zip lock bag and add some olive oil, salt and lemon. them put them on the grill almost same time as the meat. not long, you know , they cook fast, but I also like some burn marks on them.
Enjoy
Frisly
The end!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Frisly I'm diein! I love your scallion suggestion. Looks great! Are those home made tortillas? My grandma used to make them with lard. So good!

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Big piece of meat. Always a good thing. Love that much.
Only thing is, I dont love rare meat. So a bit of well done is better for me. But hey, it looks very nice.

In April we will have a big tour. With some friends. Will have the Saté and the Fish. And probarly some veggie things for the grill as well.
For that we use a Grill wok pan.

And we also have a COBB. With that it is so easy to grill veggies, shrimps, fish and of course meat. And with all the accesoiries you can do so much. Even making pizza.

So, our camp kitchen is basicly grilling, but, we can and do much more. Just with the grills we have.

Will make some pictures next time as we grill a bit.

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

Hi guys, nothing like cooking a great meal on the outdoors.
Michael, those are not homemade tortillas. My wife makes the best corn tortillas. this trip, i was lucky to find a good corn tortilla at the store. We also cooked Eggs with chorizo, together with corn tortillas....just like a wrap... :astonished:

Hey Robert; Nice looking tools you have there. interested coob, would like to see it in action.

Great...Now I am hungry!!!

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Frisly,

I think the Cobb is available in the states as well. See if you see it on a 4x4 expo. It works fine, and as it is a bit slower it is easier to grill on it. Not being afraid your food will burn easely.
You can even smoke with it. making smoke salmon or such works perfectly.

Iam busy at the moment changing the interior of the Van and working on the camp capabileties of the Frontera plus trailer. But when ready I will put some pictures up here.
I hope both will have a great kitchen area.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Cookbook. Yes, I like that idea.

And tips and tricks for the outdoor. Like your one match fire. Good one. Those kind of things we can learn from eachother.

Greetings from Robert

Cameron

Rank 0

Contributor I

Do hotdogs count? I have yet to do an overnight trip, so the quick and easy hotdogs is the most I would need so far.

But at home, we are all about sweet grilled meals. The best place I have found for quick, (not always the quickest), simple, delicious meals is

http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes

They have great how to, step by step videos.

Reactions: graybaker

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Yes! In fact, one of my go-tos:

One thing you learn early in life as a rugged outdoorsman (who picks his teeth with old nails and shaves with the sharp end of a brick), is that not all perfect camping meals are the same. It depends on many things. Let me explain. Behold! The PERFECT camping meal:

The recipe:

Allow 30 seconds to prepare for eating.

[*]1 Cold flower tortilla
[*]1 Cold hot dog
[*]1 block-o-cheese
[*]4 Dashes Hotsauce

Preperation – Put all in tortilla. Eat.

When is this recipe perfect? When you are out on the trail, hungry as hell, and all you want to do is get back on the trail. If you have your less seasoned Overland friends alond with you, you will be amazed at what they think of your gormet cooking if they are hungry enough. You get comments like, “The heavens”!, and “This has got to be the most succulent combination of flavors ever devised for human consumption”. It’s true.

drumber

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orlando, Orange County, Florida, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Healy
Member #

Traditional first nights meal. We've been doing this as our first meal after a long evening drive for many years. Can of chili (straight, no beans), good quality dogs, shredded cheese, cheap buns or tortillas, tortilla chips and salsa or guacamole on the side.