Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
May be worth flagging at least 10m SSB as Techs have that.

I also think 10FM and maybe 40/60m SSB May be worth having something flagged. For those out west you can get help outside of Repeater range.
10m SSB isn’t reliable… and as General or Extra class you should know how to make contact outside of repeater range.

@Kent R chose 2m for trail coms because a person can purchase an HT a lot cheaper than a mobile unit, and 2m FM simplex works great for convoy use.

Ahoward2k

Rank VI

Advocate I

Helena, Alabama, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI5FK
Service Branch
Army retired
Is there an OB HF frequency?
No, for several reasons; 1) Technicians have very limited HF privileges. 2) Setting up a mobile HF station can become quite complex. 3) Not all bands are desirable for NVIS operations.
May be worth flagging at least 10m SSB as Techs have that.

I also think 10FM and maybe 40/60m SSB May be worth having something flagged. For those out west you can get help outside of Repeater range.
Problem is most techs won't have a radio that does 10m ssb, they'll have probably upgraded to general by then

Reactions: M Rose

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I just got my TECH license and my callsign, KN6TZY, I have a ICOM-5100 installed in my truck. I am now overwhelmed with figuring out what and how to set it up. I purchased programming software from RT-Systems but really have not a clue what to do next as far as what channels, and such.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I just got my TECH license and my callsign, KN6TZY, I have a ICOM-5100 installed in my truck. I am now overwhelmed with figuring out what and how to set it up. I purchased programming software from RT-Systems but really have not a clue what to do next as far as what channels, and such.
Congrats on getting your Tech license. I think the first thing I did was check for any firmware updates, then I programmed my unit with stations/repeaters I think/thought I might need. Where ever you think you might travel, just plug those in and the rest just put on a piece of paper. I put a handful in Excel and printed them out assuming I'd be in a place with little to no cell coverage.

I also bought a SW meter to tweak/improve/optimize my antenna signal.

Of course with the recent pandemic and not going out, my gear is currently collecting dust lol.

Reactions: Kozysnack

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
As a starting point for programming, you can use an app called RepeaterBook to find repeaters in your area. It uses your location to find them based on distance. You can also pick which bands to search.
If there is a local ham club, the website will almost always have a list of the club repeaters too.
Find an active repeater and listen a lot. Before long you’ll be ready to jump in and talk.

donj51

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Garner, IA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0WND
Service Branch
Navy
Consider programming the national calling frequencies (146.52 & 446.000) They may come in handy in an area where no repeaters are

Congrats on your ticket. The FCC was-is backlogged due to the fee changes.

Padre Richard

Rank II

Enthusiast II

VA, USA
First Name
FrRichard
Last Name
Reed
Ham/GMRS Callsign
yes
Service Branch
USN
great suggestions, and don't forget about 146.52 national simplex freq also, many monitor this freq daily.
However, always, know before hand where to be. So the standard freqs mentioned at the beginning of these posts are excellent, thank you.
Some Chinese and other radios are a decent price these days, just research and research some more.

I used to call them 'tail end charlie' for the rear person, one of my esteemed positions.