Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
SALEM, OR-On January 1, Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) will begin charging out-of-state residents 25% more for RV sites for stays beginning January 1, as directed by the Oregon Legislature. Oregon residents with RVs pay an RV license plate fee, with some proceeds going to state park operations. The surcharge is designed to achieve parity, and the revenue it generates will pay for day-to-day operations and repairs to state parks, which are not funded by taxes.

The increase applies to all sites with hookups for recreational vehicles. Including lodging tax, a typical RV site with sewer and electrical hookups will cost $30-$50 per night for non-residents, compared to $24-$40 for Oregon residents. The increase does not affect existing reservations.

Residents and non-residents will pay the same rate for all other site types, including tent sites, cabins and yurts.

The surcharge carries out Senate Bill 794, and its implementation follows a public comment period with opportunity for people to weigh in on how the proposed rule change would go into effect. Information on the process is posted on OPRD’s rulemaking web page.

Rate ranges for all site types are posted at stateparks.oregon.gov; exact rates are calculated when visitors make a reservation. Reservations can be booked at oregonstateparks.reserveamerica.com and by phone at 800-452-5687, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (closed holidays).

Original story copy and pasted from Elkhorn Media Group

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Sound's like Oregon doesn't like RV travellers (or overlanders). I've stayed quite a few nights at Oregon State Parks, at the sites with the electrical hookup, not that I needed the hookup, but it was the only type of site that you can sleep near/in/on your vehicle.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

If it means there is a place to land for a hot shower and shore power, the difference of $6 isn’t going to kill my 4,000+ mile road trip in a vehicle that gets around 14-15 mpg fully loaded at highway speed. I will have probably spent close to $500 just in gas to get there.

The alternative is that the less financially stable parks get auctioned off to a developer that turns it into a private $80+ a night resort park or a KOA campground with motor homes packed in like sardines. I have seen this happen before so if that’s what it takes to keep the system stable, I’m ok with that.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I'm not happy with the increase but Oregon State Parks are the gold standard I compare all other state parks too. So far none have come close. As long as the funds are actually used for the Oregon State Parks and not siphoned off by politicians I'm ok with it.

Reactions: 200LC

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm not happy with the increase but Oregon State Parks are the gold standard I compare all other state parks too. So far none have come close. As long as the funds are actually used for the Oregon State Parks and not siphoned off by politicians I'm ok with it.
From my understanding the new rates go directly to the Oregon State Parks Department, just as they have done in the past. 75% of Oregon’s Recreational Vehicle and Travel Trailer registration fees go to the Park and Forestry Departments. The out of state park fee is to compensate for not registering with the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles.