Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Now, I know what you're gonna say.

"But Shakes, how is a gathering gaggle of Gambling goons in any way related to Overlanding?"

Fret not, friend. The answer is, well... It doesn't. But don't forget what OB is all about:

'Adventure is necessary and conservation is cool, yo.'
-Michael

Even if that is definitely not made up, the point remains. We like nature, so let's keep it worth liking. For those of you not familiar with the Gambler 500, it's the Nation's largest competitive trash grab, wrapped in a rally, and deep fried in cheap fun.

It may not be for everyone, but everyone is welcome that wants to pitch in. Free for most and pay-to-party, so to speak (GamblerTown is at an expo center this year- i.e: admission). You don't need a junk car. You don't need to dress down. Just show up, explore, and lend a hand.

For info and the like, see
www.gambler500.com
and check out Sons of smokey.

See you on the trails

Last edited:
Reactions: Crispy

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The weekend was a success! Current tally is roughly 1000 cu/yds (!) of junk/trash/abandoned stuffs pulled from public lands around Deschutes County. A new record!

To any of you in OB that came out, good on you. Considering the turnout, it's not a surprise I didn't knowingly run into any of you.

To anyone who didn't make it, Gambler founder Tate Morgan's Nonprofit, Sons of Smokey, developed a free app solely for the purpose of finding, marking, and removing dump sites and trash on public lands. It is now in use by BLM and the Oregon forest service workers. Since Overlanders care deeply about the public land we traverse, please consider downloading and spreading the word. With some luck we can make this app the standard nationwide.

Available for Android and iOS, visit www.sonsofsmokey.com for info and the download link.

Attachments

Reactions: Crispy and Ubiety