• HTML tutorial

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

What is your opinion/experience with the various off road trailer hitches on the market? I am currently building a new trailer and it currently has a pintle hook on it. I'm building a new frame and am considering change over to a Lock-N-Load or a Max-Coupler or just to a 2" ball. Most of my exploring is done in the Mojave Desert, do I don't need crazy articulation.

pierceg

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missoula, MT
Member #

My m416 had a pintle setup. I changed it out for the HD max coupler. Its def quieter, as it doesn't bang around like the pintle setup.
I have pulled it over some great trails. Worked flawlessly. I cant comment on the lock n load. Never used one.

Reactions: hidesertwheelin

Ed B

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverside, Ca. 92506
Member #

I have the Max coupler on my trailer and it works great. I enjoy the Mojave too but take a wrong trail or encounter a washout and articulation may be an asset. Don't have any experience with the other hitches but think the clunking and noise from a pintle would bug me more on road than off.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

I love the max coupler. The lock and roll does have a tendency to fail if you ever have to reverse the trailer on a trail (I have personally seen this failure twice) for this reason I have max couplers and dont use pins but bolts with large washers and double nuts with the exception of the vehicle hitch which is a locking pin for easy removal of the max coupler.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Loup407

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fruita, CO, USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Patterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LHP
I had both the Max Coupler and the Lock n Roll on my Horizon. The Lock n Roll was a bit easier to connect, but I had heard of failures when under stress. The Max Coupler was quiet and easy to use, although connecting the trailer to the truck could be a bit finicky. In the end, I used the Max Coupler exclusively and sold the other.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I am perfectly happy with the pintle hitch on my CDN M101. Tracks like a champ on and off road, great articulation and the occasional banging noise reminds me the trailer is still there.

Reactions: Pierre C

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Having options is always a nice thing and having a trailer with a 2" receiver on the front give you just that. I personally prefer a standard 2" ball or Max-Coupler which is why they are the only options on the trailers I make. A 2" ball will articulate quite a bit and can be used on most trailers not planning on seeing real "trail use"..... but one washed out creek crossing and you will find the limit of a standard ball very quickly. A lot of times, "overlanding" means "over-prepared" and you dont want to cut your trip short due to a failure.

While there is NOTHING wrong with a pintle hitch, they do make more noise(especially on light offroad trailers).

As with anything, the more moving parts something has, the more maintenance it requires. Please check your equipment regularly and dont forget safety chains.