Off Road Cargo Trailers

• HTML tutorial

Speedyoverlandbound

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fairfield, CA
Member #

As we gear up and plan, an off road trailer is in the mix. Any1 have experience/thoughts/advice on these types of trailers? This 1 is a 5'x10' from colorado trailers. Or should we go with a more compact trailer like RockBox/TurtleBack?hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Old Griz

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

It really depends on where you want to take it.

That trailer looks limited on belly and axle clearance and might be a bit wide and long for the tougher mountain trails.

That said, your pic is the exact spec I would want if I had a truck with the torque to pull it. I prefer the coastal areas so the only limitation on size is related to the power it takes to get it through deep sand and mud flats without bogging down or getting stuck.

Reactions: Speedyoverlandbound

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I built a a cargo trailer into an RV, and it takes a lot of work to do it right.

20150412_090913.jpg 20170804_151247.jpg

As others have noted, off road worthiness is the issue with a cargo trailer because of the low ground clearance, so I purchased as Smittybilt trailer and selling the one I built, as we want to drag the trailer on every trail, not setup a base camp to which we will return at the end of each day. Decide what kind of terrain you are going to drag your trailer through before you lay down any cash...