Off pavement travel/dispersed camping Rothrock and Bald Eagle State Forest in Pennsylvania.

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Not going to be as spectacular as some, just a 2 day one night trip with my son.(age 7)

Starting in Rothrock and headed to Bald Eagle where we we will spend the night.

Vehicle will be a 2015 RAM 2500 Tradesman. Camping in a ground tent.

Can not wait to go.

Got the permit and the gas in the tank.

Just got to wait for morning.

Will update as we experience the Great Outdoors.

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Gathering the supplies. Just got to do the cooler and then arrange everything.

A pleasant surprise. Our middle daughter, who was to go with a friend, decided she would like to come along.

So we now have 3 on the adventure.

My son is getting super excited. He can not even contain himself.

I went over the maps with him. He helped decide the route.

Using the Purple lizard maps. Funny thing is...the Rothrock one we use all sections and both sides.
The Bald Eagle one we only use half if the one side.

Going to bike, hike and 4 wheel drive.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Finished packing the truck. Got the first aid box. Mt. Pie maker. Firewood and fire tool bag. Chairs and table. Two- 5 gallon water jugs. Recovery gear and tools. The tent and a bix with all the campsite stuff and a 5 gallon bucket toilet. A day cooler and the larger cooler.

Got to mount the bikes and I am done.

20200731_221543.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
A little slow updating the thread.

We headed out on our adventure a lil after 0900.

We first had to drive to the Forest. We took back roads but all were paved. Finally in the town of Spruce Creek at Colerain RD we crossed the concrete bridge to dirt.

This began the adventure. When you head into Rothrock you will be greated by Old Glory.
20200801_095927.jpg
My son always loves to see Old Glory and as we passed under had his hand over his heart. Then he asked me to play Johnny Cash Ragged ole flag.

We hit the first vista for a photo opp and began the first leg of off pavement travel.
20200801_100443.jpg
We took a slightly different route than usual as I wanted to hit a 4x4 high clearance road we haven't been on yet.

20200801_110713.jpg
We were the only ones on this road. It was a nice relaxing nature trail. Saw some deer and lots of birds.

Although it was definitely high clearance...there was no need for 4x4 on Leading Ridge Trail this weekend.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
20200818_153619~2.jpg
Did not use GPS this trip. In my other threads I used took maps...but this time we were going device free for the most part.

Purple Lizard map. This is the first section of the trip. The map has little purple lizards to show areas of interest. We must have picked one up at the first vista...20200818_153758.jpg
Lol.

So to follow along in the map find Spruce Creek in the upper right corner. Then follow 45 over to Colerain and Colerain RD. This is the set in for the Rothrock To Bald Eagle connection...which can be done 98% on dirt.

All of the motorized sites were booked here and we went past site 2 and verified. Interestingly...just a bit up the road before the 1st intersection someone made a site...pretty sure not legal...but they were set up.

We continued on Colerain road til we came to the T with tram rd and went right. This is where my daughter showed interest in the map and I showed her how to follow it (my son and I do orienteering, so he gets the map).

We then followed tram road to mule rd and saw site one vacant...but guessing they arrived later. We went right onto McGuire road and then left onto Diamond Valley road where we made the left onto Leading Ridge Trail.

This is the driveable trail and we took our time enjoying the remote nature. This would leads us back to pavement and my first inclination we were losing air in a tire...

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We came to a road closed sign. It was not listed on the park site as closed...so we had to change direction.

I had planned to do a bit more exploring in Rothrock, but the air leaving the tire was high on my mind. At the next sign of cell service I checked for the closest Sheetz. Located the closest one on our map...decided to explore in that direction.

I began taking a mental inventory of my recovery kit. I have an air pump and I have a tire repair kit. I also have a full size spare. Ok. Good.

I now have the TPMS on my EVIC screen and am watching it closely...losing about a pound every 3 miles. I have plenty of air...just hoping whatever is in the tire...stays there