Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Peterborough, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Bonathan
Member #

My friend is trying to start a small off grid setup. Only thing she needs power for is a 1500watt pressure canner. I have already found an 1800 watt inverter to use but what is stumping me is I cannot figure out what battery to use, everything I keep finding says that she will need a massive battery.

The pressure canner only runs for 75min, she would be fine with it running once a day and the rest of the day is on solar charge.

any one have any ideas

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
1500 * 1.25 = 1875Wh / 12 = 156Ah, not including efficiency loss from the inverter itself. So plan on 200Ah. If she thinks she's going to recharge 200Ah via solar in a day then she's going to need a lot of solar.

That seems like a HUGE investment just to power a pressure canner for 75 minutes. She'd be better off picking up a 2000w LPG-powered inverter generator.

Logoris

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Peterborough, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Bonathan
Member #

ok thats what I was coming up with, so its just very power hungry, thank you very much, I will let her know about the generator

D4R4x4

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Sumner County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Timmons
Member #

ok thats what I was coming up with, so its just very power hungry, thank you very much, I will let her know about the generator
I agree with @DRAX numbers. Based on the 5 hours of full sun per day, you would need 400 watts of solar minimum to recharge.

Not too huge of a solar panel system, but wouldn't be able to run much more than the canner. Over paneling is easy for faster charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: firemen7

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Not sure the circumstances but if it is all about the pressure cooker and she is not wanting to start it and run off to do other things perhaps a stove and the GSI pressure cooker would work for her and ditch the electrics-I think there are a few folks here that use and recommend the GSI cooker.

Reactions: velo47

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I just got back from a trip with someone who has the GSI. It works great on the camp stove.