OBD II diagnostic tool for multiple vehicles.

• HTML tutorial

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello fellow members.
I am looking for an OBD II diagnostic device. Above all, I would like to use it for our two vehicles (MB Sprinter 906 2016 and Volvo XC70 P26 2007) to scan and delete error codes. More in-depth programming or setting values is not planned.

Therefore, it should focus on deleting and reading fault codes.

In my research, I keep coming across devices from Ancel VD500 or Ancel VD700. Also (especially for the Sprinter) the device from iCarsoft MB V. 3.0)

Do you have any experience with these devices or other device recommendations?

What do you primarily use your diagnostic devices for?
Which device did you decide on? Have you made first experiences with it? I think it would be especially interesting for many people to learn something about the Sprinter, which is very popular with overlanders.

And @Oligetorix , is your BT OBD II dongle working now?

Maybe we can gather a bit more knowledge about these devices here that can help others?
Hi Björn,

I haven’t tried to use the dongle since I installed two different apps. Maybe we can try together at spring meetup.
Awesome idea. We will do so!

Reactions: Oligetorix

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
On the trail or road I use an OBDLink LX Bluetooth dongle and the Torque app on my phone. It works fine for simple things and reading and clearing codes. It also doesn't take up any room in the toolbox.
1706033111562.png

At home, I use a TOPDON Phoenix Plus ECU Coding Scan Tool. It goes a good bit deeper and allows reading codes from the ECU, BCU, ABS, TCU, and SCS. It also allows the programming of keys and fobs and can read manufacturer codes. It is also handy for testing switches and sensors individually and activating solenoids, the ABS pump, and other systems. If you don't do your own repairs it's overkill but if you work on your own vehicles it's a handy tool to have.

1706033301209.png

Oligetorix

Rank IV

Influencer II

Worms, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
First Name
Oliver
Last Name
Rissler
Member #

Hello fellow members.
I am looking for an OBD II diagnostic device. Above all, I would like to use it for our two vehicles (MB Sprinter 906 2016 and Volvo XC70 P26 2007) to scan and delete error codes. More in-depth programming or setting values is not planned.

Therefore, it should focus on deleting and reading fault codes.

In my research, I keep coming across devices from Ancel VD500 or Ancel VD700. Also (especially for the Sprinter) the device from iCarsoft MB V. 3.0)

Do you have any experience with these devices or other device recommendations?

What do you primarily use your diagnostic devices for?
Which device did you decide on? Have you made first experiences with it? I think it would be especially interesting for many people to learn something about the Sprinter, which is very popular with overlanders.

And @Oligetorix , is your BT OBD II dongle working now?

Maybe we can gather a bit more knowledge about these devices here that can help others?
Hi Björn,

I haven’t tried to use the dongle since I installed two different apps. Maybe we can try together at spring meetup.
Awesome idea. We will do so!
Finally I got the VEEPEAK OBDCheck BLE+ dongle connected to the basic Car Scanner app. The data I can choose from is only basic and I’m not really happy with the layout. They want me to upgrade to the pro-app of course, but will it be worth it? Maybe I should find another working app on iOS. Björn, we will figure this out at the Spring Meetup

Reactions: El-Dracho

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Finally I got the VEEPEAK OBDCheck BLE+ dongle connected to the basic Car Scanner app. The data I can choose from is only basic and I’m not really happy with the layout. They want me to upgrade to the pro-app of course, but will it be worth it? Maybe I should find another working app on iOS. Björn, we will figure this out at the Spring Meetup
What do you want the dongle to tell you?
If your vehicle has a problem, and lights the "CEL or check engine light" it will point you in the direction of the problem.
If you want coolant temp numbers, or electrical status you need gages which you already have in most cases.
Zim

Oligetorix

Rank IV

Influencer II

Worms, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
First Name
Oliver
Last Name
Rissler
Member #

What do you want the dongle to tell you?
If your vehicle has a problem, and lights the "CEL or check engine light" it will point you in the direction of the problem.
If you want coolant temp numbers, or electrical status you need gages which you already have in most cases.
Zim
The basic version does not display any errors. It only shows that the engine light is on (But I know it’s EVAP). In addition, the selected widgets are displayed completely offset and overlapping.