Influencer I

Redbank Queensland, Australia
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jappe
Member #

Hey all,

If you have an idea or nit or something about the app to talk about - this is the place. Please keep in mind, the BEST way to actually get a feature upvoted and developed is to use our upvote feature.

however - if you would like to discuss a potential feature, get some feedback, or just let me know how to make the app better for your use - post away.

-Michael
@Michael This original post of yours mate ? I searched "nits" to find it and notice it's not pinned. Again I would never have known it was there.
Can it be added to the home page of the app? That would be easy enough to find just by pressing on an icon?
Or its own item in the menu bar? That would be easy to find. I know I for one always check the menu items for updates on messages or notifications etc.
It sure can! I’ll add it to the menu bar. That’s a great suggestion. The trade off with both app and forums is that something gets taken away. What do we lose/replace? Menu add is straightforward and easy enough to do. But Nits is buried precisely because it’s a forum. Many users of the app don’t use the forums. Fundamentally I would love to get feedback on the roadmap and what’s important. It helps keep us honest on our assumptions.
Many users of the forum don't use the app? Really!. Wow I couldn't tell you the last time I turned my laptop on. I use my mobile device exclusively. Everything is available to me in the palm of my hand. Only time I use the web based forum is when I can't find/do a task in the app.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Many users of the forum don't use the app? Really!. Wow I couldn't tell you the last time I turned my laptop on. I use my mobile device exclusively. Everything is available to me in the palm of my hand. Only time I use the web based forum is when I can't find/do a task in the app.
OK @Steve_ohhhhh that is in the menu now. It is "App Roadmap" (open to suggestions) under "What's New".

Steve_ohhhhh

Local Expert, QLD Australia

Influencer I

Redbank Queensland, Australia
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jappe
Member #

OK @Steve_ohhhhh that is in the menu now. It is "App Roadmap" (open to suggestions) under "What's New".
G'day @Michael
Not sure where this is? Is this in the app menu or the forum menu?
Cheers.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
G'day @Michael
Not sure where this is? Is this in the app menu or the forum menu?
Cheers.
Great question. Web.

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Hey everyone - Thought I'd jump in with a quick update on the latest releases and what's in the pipeline.

1. Importing GPX files is now streamlined. You can preview the track before saving it to make sure it's one you want. We found a couple of hiccups in the previous process that we've smoothed out.

2. We did an overhaul to public/private POIs and GPX tracks and how they are saved. The amount of detail needed to save a private POI is minimal so you can quickly add a location to your map and have it for your record. Or you can save it to come back later and add more details. If you would like to make a POI public, you will need to fill in all major details before saving. This is to ensure quality and accuracy when sharing out to the community. But so long as you're using it for yourself, you can add as much or as little as needed.

3. We no longer have a 'draft' and 'pending' system for your locations. They are either synced or un-synced. Locations and notes made offline will stay un-synced until a connection to the internet is established. Once your locations and GPX tracks are synced, they will be in the proverbial cloud.

4. We spent time going through the map to improve user experience with the Points of Interest pop up and display cards. It's subtle but you might pick up that the movement animations to open, close and clear the cards is now smoother when you swipe. The map is now caching the featured image for a POI so it's not loading every single time you navigate to and from the POI. Again, it's subtle but gives the app a more coherent 'feel', if that makes sense.

5. 3D Preview - When you tap into a GPX trail in the map you can select '3D Preview' in the pop up card. The app will throw you into 3D mode and launch you to the trailhead. You can scan through the trail and terrain by hand to inspect the area and get to 'know' it in advance. Perfect for going into unknown regions.

We're currently working on more improvements for map functionality... saving multiple images when creating a POI, improvements to the ruler tools (a favorite of mine) and the map will remember its placement if you toggle off to other features in Overland Bound One. Previously if you were looking at a region and then you went to the forums to read up on a detail about the region, when you went back to the map it would load on your current location and not the place you were researching. Super frustrating.

The team is also working on getting real time weather and fire layers for members. (!!) That should be in the release after this upcoming one.

I'm excited for the map improvements, and holy moly, it's just the start. Be on the look out for v11.20 soon! We'll be smoke testing in the next day or so.

Feedback always welcome! Cheers everyone!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thank you for the update. This is great news. I like especially point 2, which allows us to quickly save the position of a POI on the road and later edit it when there is time and peace of mind. Awesome. Thanks for the great work!

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

I've started adding European POI night stops specifically in the Alps into the App. These are all I use or have used in the past.

I'm missing a couple of options that I think really should be on the POI.

Max Rigs
Open/Closed Dates
How sensitive they are, i.e 1-10 of annoying people, based on wild camp rules, this is quite prudent in Europe.
Max recommend how long before returning.

Also these are not Camp Sites, there needs either a wild camp or night stop category I suppose a bit like park4night.

Also as we are adding value to the app, should we not get points or something for the POI's we add a n return.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I've started adding European POI night stops specifically in the Alps into the App. These are all I use or have used in the past.

I'm missing a couple of options that I think really should be on the POI.

Max Rigs
Open/Closed Dates
How sensitive they are, i.e 1-10 of annoying people, based on wild camp rules, this is quite prudent in Europe.
Max recommend how long before returning.

Also these are not Camp Sites, there needs either a wild camp or night stop category I suppose a bit like park4night.

Also as we are adding value to the app, should we not get points or something for the POI's we add a n return.
Thank you for adding POIs to the map. That's great, because this project thrives on participation. It is also great when members make suggestions for improvement. By the way, you can submit them on the app roadmap. You will find it here: App Roadmap

By the way, there is a type of "wild camp category" that you will find when entering POIs, which is dispersed camping. This is what is called camping on public land outside of campgrounds in the US, so very similar to what is sometimes called wild camping in Europe.

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

Thank you for adding POIs to the map. That's great, because this project thrives on participation. It is also great when members make suggestions for improvement. By the way, you can submit them on the app roadmap. You will find it here: App Roadmap

By the way, there is a type of "wild camp category" that you will find when entering POIs, which is dispersed camping. This is what is called camping on public land outside of campgrounds in the US, so very similar to what is sometimes called wild camping in Europe.
I understand that, but dispersed camping is where none organised campsites are designated in area's.. Here Wild Camping is not car camping in some countries and we actually have to be careful about how something is promoted. For example park 4 night has had to remove 100's of POI's recently.

A good example is in the UK you can park and sleep in your car (in many areas) but as soon as you put out the chair, you can be classed as camping, which can be prohibited. This also applies outside of the UK to. Also it is not good to assume that Americanism's are fully understood world wide.. Certain things are very different.

Steph_ Adventures

Rank IX

Influencer I

Quebec, Canada
First Name
Steph
Last Name
Adventures
just wondering , if mabe there could me in the map layers section a crown land overlay (i know in canada you can use crown land to camp up to 21 days . etc ) mabe there is already this in the app but didn find/see it ?? as an exemple the app ihunter does it . just a suggestion .

Steph_ Adventures

Rank IX

Influencer I

Quebec, Canada
First Name
Steph
Last Name
Adventures
suggestion mabe , i dunno you know wen you do poi`s you can put them private or public (then you have main map =saved=events tabs) wen you put them private could be easier to find your private ones in a tab (wen you have alot of poi`S) if you ever want to put them public . mabe there is a way but didn see it or put private ones on a spacial color ? just a suggestion ,

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
suggestion mabe , i dunno you know wen you do poi`s you can put them private or public (then you have main map =saved=events tabs) wen you put them private could be easier to find your private ones in a tab (wen you have alot of poi`S) if you ever want to put them public . mabe there is a way but didn see it or put private ones on a spacial color ? just a suggestion ,
Don´t know if I got it, but you have the possibility to show your POIs on the map and decide if you want to see "All", "Private Only" and "Public Only". You will find this at the "map filters" and then go to the tab "rescources":

OB_Map_POIs.jpg

Reactions: Steph_ Adventures