OB Overlanding Orientation Course

• HTML tutorial

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I had an Idea I want to put past you (Think Tank Moment)

I was thinking of ways of engaging people and having a way to teach important skills. I thought of an overland orientation course which could be used as a competition as well when needed.

Executive Summary
Orientation via GPS has caused the decline in the need to have map reading skills. GPS is here to say so we need to think of a way to use it as a tool. This suggestion will identify how we could use GPS, Map reading, Compass skills and a bit of physical exercise to get to the destination to obtain a result.

The concept
  • Pick an Area/Region like a national park, recreation area, city, province, state.
  • Have three levels of tools required, GPS (SUV, Car, Motorcycle), MAP/Compass (Motorcycle, ATV, HIking, Walking) & Visual recognition (Walking, Hiking)
  • Different transport possibility types for each stage.
    • Stage 1 Major road (metalled/paved/sealed road) (Highway/Motorway/Autobahn/snelweg) - Long distances - Cars, Trucks, Campers, SUV, Motorcycle
    • Stage 2 Minor roads (Gravel roads) (C-class/Range/ Forestry Trunk roads) - Last mile - Long distances - Cars, Trucks, Campers, SUV, Motorcycle
    • Stage 3 Tracks or trails ( NON gravel,metalled/paved/sealed road) Localised - ATV, Motorcycle, Mountain Bike, Horse, Hiking, walking
    • Stage 4 Visual acuity walking path ( mud, grass) - Personal Area - Walking, Hiking, Mountain bike, horse
  • Direction and Navigation
    • Stage 1 - GPS (Log and Lat)
    • Stage 2 - GPS and Trail maps (Long and Lat)
    • Stage 3 - Maps or GPS once converted to Long and Lat (4 figure map reading map grid scale)
    • Stage 4 - Map and Compass ( 8 figure map location with Compass Direction)
  • Once at destination you would need to identify your route number on the Pole marker (all Pole markers will be part of multiple routes so will have multiple routes and next destination long and lat numbers
  • This would be repeated for x amount of destinations before it is over
  • Routes would have 5, 10, 15, 20 destinations in the route until the last location,
  • The amount of stops in a route is determined by how many days or total distance you would like to do.
Now if OB wanted to sponsor this they could use the regions to develop, test and maintain the routes.
If OB sponsor this through the forestry/nature commission body of that area. It could be a tourist thing where funds could be obtained.

The Pole markers could be just a normal wooden pole with a metal engraved plate. each plate would be for a specific route which include the Route Number (NAME) Pole ID number, long and lat to the next location

The poles would be in the local area 3- 5 KM of something nice or special to be a tourist but, would not be at the location, that would make it too easy.

On the Pole on the opposite side from the long and lat directions would be a message that would need to be photographed with yourself to prove your completion of the task

Route types
  • Day Route - all poles are with in an area that could be done in a day
  • Weekend Route - All poles would be in an area which should only take 1 sleep over day
  • Long Weekend / Bank Holiday route - the area should large enough for 2 days sleep over
  • long Route - a route is a route that may be local or larger that could use specific poles in different local areas. single poles which are already being used in other routes could be used to build a route of much larger areas. e.g.
    • Pole 1 = Pole 3 from route CAN-AB-Banff route 15,
    • Pole 2 = Pole 5 from route CAN-AB-Jasper route 04
    • Pole 3 = Pole 12 from Route CAN-BC-Kimberly route 1
    • Pole 4 = Pole 5 from Route USA-WA-Tiger route 4
    • etc.
      This route would be filled with as many poles that would be determined to take upto a predetermined amount of days for that route
Routes would be predetermined routes and named/numbered changing of the routes would only be done of an areas was closed or determined that the pole would no longer be safe or viable for the route/s.

all routes would be kept restricted to the organisation body and route tracking and publishing the routes tacks is discouraged to keep the excitement of the mystery alive.

let me know what you think

Bluesman

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
Member #

I am very new to this, but it is a skill I want to develop. I've bought a good compass and the army field manual to learn to use it. I also have the InReach, GAIA premium, a new android tablet for navigation software, the new Garmin Instinct and a Garmin gps in my rig. Now the trick seems to be tying all this stuff together and learning how to use it. I've been using 4Xs to go out exploring and some overnight camping for years. The first real rig I had built out was an Old Iron 66 Bronco. Then I moved into 3rd Gen 4Runners and now I'm on my 5th one of those. I joined OB mostly to learn from you folks and start heading out with a plan instead of just wandering around in the desert looking to find something cool at the end of a coin toss road. Your program sounds great, but is probably beyond my current lannav skill set.

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
Fantastic idea any skill that can be added to ones resume is a big plus. And it won't hurt anyone to be able to use a compass and a topo map!

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

I was thinking of ways of engaging people and having a way to teach important skills. I thought of an overland orientation course which could be used as a competition as well when needed.

Executive Summary
Orientation via GPS has caused the decline in the need to have map reading skills. GPS is here to say so we need to think of a way to use it as a tool. This suggestion will identify how we could use GPS, Map reading, Compass skills and a bit of physical exercise to get to the destination to obtain a result.

The concept

I would add, How to Read a MAP, and USE a Compass. Sighting where you are, when your GPS dies. How to pin-point your location when the Laptop, cellphone has no service. etc. DCG

Last edited:

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
I agree knowing how to use a map and compass when the GPS fails can be a life saver. According to my son they still teach in the army today. So that is why I teach all my kids how to use a map and compass since they all like to boondock now and then.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I would add, How to Read a MAP, and USE a Compass. Sighting where you are, when your GPS dies. How to pin-point your location when the Laptop, cellphone has no service. etc. DCG
I would suggest that would be in the map reading lessons.

This is more of a route /track course not a educational series of classes

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Hey

Executive Summary

The concept
  • Pick an Area/Region like a national park, recreation area, city, province, state.
  • Have three levels of tools required, GPS (SUV, Car, Motorcycle), MAP/Compass (Motorcycle, ATV, HIking, Walking) & Visual recognition (Walking, Hiking)
  • Different transport possibility types for each stage.
    • Stage 1 Major road (metalled/paved/sealed road) (Highway/Motorway/Autobahn/snelweg) - Long distances - Cars, Trucks, Campers, SUV, Motorcycle
    • Stage 2 Minor roads (Gravel roads) (C-class/Range/ Forestry Trunk roads) - Last mile - Long distances - Cars, Trucks, Campers, SUV, Motorcycle
    • Stage 3 Tracks or trails ( NON gravel,metalled/paved/sealed road) Localised - ATV, Motorcycle, Mountain Bike, Horse, Hiking, walking
    • Stage 4 Visual acuity walking path ( mud, grass) - Personal Area - Walking, Hiking, Mountain bike, horse
  • Direction and Navigation
    • Stage 1 - GPS (Log and Lat)
    • Stage 2 - GPS and Trail maps (Long and Lat)
    • Stage 3 - Maps or GPS once converted to Long and Lat (4 figure map reading map grid scale)
    • Stage 4 - Map and Compass ( 8 figure map location with Compass Direction)
  • Once at destination you would need to identify your route number on the Pole marker (all Pole markers will be part of multiple routes so will have multiple routes and next destination long and lat numbers
  • This would be repeated for x amount of destinations before it is over
  • Routes would have 5, 10, 15, 20 destinations in the route until the last location,
  • The amount of stops in a route is determined by how many days or total distance you would like to do.
Now if OB wanted to sponsor this they could use the regions to develop, test and maintain the routes.
If OB sponsor this through the forestry/nature commission body of that area. It could be a tourist thing where funds could be obtained.

The Pole markers could be just a normal wooden pole with a metal engraved plate. each plate would be for a specific route which include the Route Number (NAME) Pole ID number, long and lat to the next location

The poles would be in the local area 3- 5 KM of something nice or special to be a tourist but, would not be at the location, that would make it too easy.

On the Pole on the opposite side from the long and lat directions would be a message that would need to be photographed with yourself to prove your completion of the task

Route types
  • Day Route - all poles are with in an area that could be done in a day
  • Weekend Route - All poles would be in an area which should only take 1 sleep over day
  • Long Weekend / Bank Holiday route - the area should large enough for 2 days sleep over
  • long Route - a route is a route that may be local or larger that could use specific poles in different local areas. single poles which are already being used in other routes could be used to build a route of much larger areas. e.g.
    • Pole 1 = Pole 3 from route CAN-AB-Banff route 15,
    • Pole 2 = Pole 5 from route CAN-AB-Jasper route 04
    • Pole 3 = Pole 12 from Route CAN-BC-Kimberly route 1
    • Pole 4 = Pole 5 from Route USA-WA-Tiger route 4
    • etc.
      This route would be filled with as many poles that would be determined to take upto a predetermined amount of days for that route
Routes would be predetermined routes and named/numbered changing of the routes would only be done of an areas was closed or determined that the pole would no longer be safe or viable for the route/s.

all routes would be kept restricted to the organisation body and route tracking and publishing the routes tacks is discouraged to keep the excitement of the mystery alive.

Hey Fozzy ... You may want to start the course with Basic Land Navigation first... Identifying Terrain features, hilltop, ridge, draws, spurs, cuts, cliffs, fills, depressions, valley, vegetation, elevation, contour lines, legend, scales, grids, but, use a topographical map with a lensatic compass military grade preferably. Orienting your map to your direction or terrain. Then dive into the 2 holding methods of a compass. Whats the differences between True North, Magnetic North and Grid North. How to determine the 2 known points then figure all your other points in between. Also include other methods such as the Shadow Tip Method or Watch Method, improvised compass building which can be used as field expedient uses. Learning & knowing your pace count is very important as well. How to move at night finding North using the North Star as a guide. Sounds like an awesome idea but, I think it should be said its not as easy as just picking up a map & compass then taking off in the woods.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Hey

Hey Fozzy ... You may want to start the course with Basic Land Navigation first... Identifying Terrain features, hilltop, ridge, draws, spurs, cuts, cliffs, fills, depressions, valley, vegetation, elevation, contour lines, legend, scales, grids, but, use a topographical map with a lensatic compass military grade preferably. Orienting your map to your direction or terrain. Then dive into the 2 holding methods of a compass. Whats the differences between True North, Magnetic North and Grid North. How to determine the 2 known points then figure all your other points in between. Also include other methods such as the Shadow Tip Method or Watch Method, improvised compass building which can be used as field expedient uses. Learning & knowing your pace count is very important as well. How to move at night finding North using the North Star as a guide. Sounds like an awesome idea but, I think it should be said its not as easy as just picking up a map & compass then taking off in the woods.
I totally agree, I think I should remove or change the word course from the title as it’s not intended to mean a training course, but a event like a racecourse.

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

This sounds like a great idea! I think one of the best ways to implement it would be either a podcast or webinar. That way people could review and do it at their own pace, along with being able to ask the instructor questions via Conversations or in real time depending on what route you went.

Reactions: PatriotT4R

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
In the house, up the stairs. I think everyone should know the basics- they serve as the foundation for nav. I can make the difference between a good day, and a really bad day.

Also dont forget the vertical navigation bit. Shiny side up, rubber side down as much as possible. XD

Reactions: PatriotT4R