OB Gathering with all members invited? - possible?

• HTML tutorial

Grevlin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Carolina
Member #

Hello all,

This was mentioned in the "Off the Grid 2017" thread, and I thought I would create a separate thread for ideas and discussion.

Would it be possible to have an (Official) Overland Bound gathering in a location that would allow basically limitless attendees? So all members could buy tickets and attend?

I think about Burning Man for inspiration as far as logistics. They create a city in Black Rock Desert for a week and organize the layout of attendees in cars, campers, etc. They are hitting a bit of a maximum these days at around 60-65,000 tickets. They have an office building with full staff that work year-round on organizing the yearly event. ...this is sort of the maxed-out example. But it's easy to scale down.

What I imagine is a location, similar to desert conditions. Maybe BLM land in New Mexico or Texas. The location would be large enough to allow for an expanding layout of overland vehicles. Circular, x-shape, etc etc.

Extremely important rules for such a gathering are leave-no-trace, and bring what you need to survive. Overland considerations would be heat and dust on vehicles and people, water storage, dust and shade structures, proper clothing etc etc. The relatively flat desert setting would mean just about any and all vehicles could make it. And that fits nicely with "it doesn't matter what you drive."

Points to consider off the top of my head:

• Permits or permission if needed - BLM land?
  • Location - availability, weather, local population, centralized in US as much as possible?
  • Infrastructure - emergency supplies, emergency water, first aid, toilet solutions (if any)
  • Access - how does everyone get in, and then get out
  • Layout - structured layout with survey equipment? Or just random spread
  • Paying for infrastructure and staff - ticket sales should more then cover this
  • Planning - this would need an official project plan with deadlines on organization, location scouting, ticket sale schedule, etc etc
  • Notice - I can see 9 months to a year needed for planning and notice to members. This would allow maximum attendance of those wanting to go

I mention all this, because its an event I would love to attend if it existed.

*** As a personal note to Michael and Corrie, I've been doing project management for 12 years, mostly remote projects spanning multiple states and regions, and I volunteer my services if it would help organize such a gathering.

Thoughts and ideas?

Grevlin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Carolina
Member #

If it's like burning man with tripped out college kids half naked covered in glitter I'm in. If it's a sausage fest with beer, trucks, and trail rides I can't promise anything :)
I just look at Burning Man for logistics. The single thing I like about Burning Man is the environmental extremes folks must survive. I bet it would be a lot easier for Overlanders. Plus the logistics of it is very impressive.

No glitter...at least I can guarantee that in my camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuxuryOverland

Grevlin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Carolina
Member #

What's wrong with trees and.... pleasant locations?
If you have 1000 vehicles. 2, 3, 5,000 vehicles, it would be a nightmare to organize them in a densely wooded area. And you risk damage to the surroundings with thousand(s) of rigs moving in a concentrated area and then out again. If the location is 90% dirt/sand with slightly rolling hills or flat, you can organize the huge number of rigs, have less impact on the grounds, and you can easily take in the scope of the event.

I'm guessing there is somewhere between 6500 and 7000 OB members at the moment. By mid-2018, what...10,000? With enough notice, you could get a large percentage of that who will plan the road trips to attend. I'm in South Carolina, and I would drive to Texas or New Mexico, or pretty much wherever. There is a good possibility to could have 5,000 to 10,000 rigs to plan for.

..just my thoughts on it.

Plus, you need some extreme locations to help get the blood flowing. :grimacing:

Reactions: SinCityOverland

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I guess the closest thing now is Overland Expo West?

I look forward to meeting lots of OB members, and I am willing to drive quite far for that, but I am not sure what that event would be for (in that format).

I'll have a 7 hour drive to get to the midwest ob meet here in a couple weeks.

Maybe I am just low on extravert energy at the moment to think about this. HA.

Reactions: brien and Grevlin

Grevlin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Carolina
Member #

I guess the closest thing now is Overland Expo West?

I look forward to meeting lots of OB members, and I am willing to drive quite far for that, but I am not sure what that event would be for (in that format).

I'll have a 7 hour drive to get to the midwest ob meet here in a couple weeks.

Maybe I am just low on extravert energy at the moment to think about this. HA.
I hear ya man. I drive to locations for work. It's been a long year.

My thought is to be able to have all OB members, or the ones that can make it, be able to see and interact with the whole group. Sure, there can be the usual events and workshops etc. but mainly a gathering of the majority of the Overland Bound community. The setting should allow for most vehicles. I did not buy tickets a few hours ago for OTG because I'm pretty sure my Ford Escape cant make it up the mountain. It does not bother me because I chose the Escape a couple of years ago for different goals. My next vehicle will be a bit more...capable.

I'd just like to brainstorm the possibility of gathering everyone that wants to attend.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

If you need planning assistance on water capacity and quality logistics, feel free to give me a holler. That's the field I work in and I'm pretty good at problem solving.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have to chime in here and say that while I agree the desert can be easier place to arrange such a large gathering and be an easier environment in which to take in the entire scope, the desert is every bit as much a fragile environment. Takes a hell of a lot longer to recover, too, from the sudden onslaught of thousands of vehicles in a concentrated space.

I've seen tracks from a single vehicle last for years in the Chihuahaun desert of the Big Bend area when someone decides to go off-track. Many desert landscapes have a fragile skin, rich with more life than most are aware.

Big is not always better.

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

I've had some of the best experiences in the AZ desert, hot and dry on the valley floor, great trail system in the Mountains. I'm up for planning a New Mexico meet up, but as "Road" posted we would have to tread really carefully due to lasting impact on the ecosystems. Not sure if the desert could handle a large group all at once without causing a lasting affect.

Reactions: Road

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

This is the type of event I would probably avoid. The thing is that you really don't benefit from doing events that large. Individually you're still only going to be able to interact with a limited number of people, trail runs will have to be limited to the number of vehicles, and really it's just a lot more of a headache than it is worth.

I like the idea of more frequent regional events. Then there is opportunity for one to visit multiple events in a year, in very geographically diverse areas. You also get the opportunity to meet members from all around the country, but on a more intimate scale. For example, I may choose to attend a SW regional event, in my neck of the woods in October, but may also decide to run up to the Rocky Mountain region who could be hosting theirs at Moab in January.

Just for the sake of discussion / conversation.. Please don't think I am trying ot be negative or shoot down any ideas but I think it's worth considering..

And the point of planning things well in advance is definitely something we should strive for, since most of us are somewhat tied to work schedules and routines. The more notice the easier it will be for people to make arrangements to attend.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

As much as I like this idea I have to agree with @Road "Bigger is not always better".

Sorry @Grevlin not trying to rain on your parade :P

Another thing to take into consideration is that alot of people outside the US (like me) might not have the time or money for it.

Although I would like to try and attent more european OB meets at some point.

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

This is the type of event I would probably avoid. The thing is that you really don't benefit from doing events that large. Individually you're still only going to be able to interact with a limited number of people, trail runs will have to be limited to the number of vehicles, and really it's just a lot more of a headache than it is worth.

I like the idea of more frequent regional events. Then there is opportunity for one to visit multiple events in a year, in very geographically diverse areas. You also get the opportunity to meet members from all around the country, but on a more intimate scale. For example, I may choose to attend a SW regional event, in my neck of the woods in October, but may also decide to run up to the Rocky Mountain region who could be hosting theirs at Moab in January.

Just for the sake of discussion / conversation.. Please don't think I am trying ot be negative or shoot down any ideas but I think it's worth considering..

And the point of planning things well in advance is definitely something we should strive for, since most of us are somewhat tied to work schedules and routines. The more notice the easier it will be for people to make arrangements to attend.
I like that idea. Multiple events in different locations.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

This is basically already happening with regional events.

I wanted to discuss a specific space-for-all event.
It IS already happening. But in my opinion, all it does is create individual little "sects" of overlanders. Turns us into a bunch of tiny communities, instead of one large one....in the event a SW region meets NE region, there would be NOTHING but diversity and people hanging out in nothing but the groups of people they know. It's how we as humans are socially.

With a bigger annually held event where every OB member is welcome, from every corner of the world, and it's up to your own discretion to come or not, you will have less division and more of a melting pot of Overlanders. At least, thats the way I see it happening, based on past events and things I've been to.

For those worried about the impact to the environment, only locations have been mentioned where it's accepted for large numbers of off road vehicles to congregate. Nobody is mentioning going to the chihuahuan desert to tear it up..... nobody is mentioning tearing up ANY sort of environment. If you're really so damn worried about it, stop off roading because every time you take those oversized tires on any sort of trail, you're responsible for tearing shit up....kind of hypocritical thinking you're okay for driving a forest trail inhabited by thousands of critters per sq mile, but it's wrong to hit a desert sand trail with little to no life per sq mile depending on location....

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Regardless, when you talk about an event of any sort someone is going to say how the environment will be harmed. The idea that 5 or 6 thousand folks from the overlanding community would show up at an event is not realistic. I would dare say that it's never happened. That people will show up at an 0xpo, yes. That's not what we're talking about here. I think the more realistic approach would be for local area folks to organize local events and put up posts about their success. Every event starts small and grows. Other than rock concerts.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Moab Utah would make a good destination.

Almost centrally located in the US.

Easter Jeep Safari and several other large organized runs go there every year, so logistics with large groups shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

Moab also has a variety of trails and levels of difficulty.

PLUS- it's an area that will be a first time, or even a once-in-a-lifetime for some folks.

T

The Raven

does this not already happen with OEX E&W.

It may not be OB but it is an overland gathering in the honest sense