Richmond, Chesterfield County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps Retired
Hello OB’ers! I’m stoked about breaking into the overland scene, but I’ve got some questions regarding a rig to buy. I’ve got a family of 5 (6 actually, but she’s in college). So, I obviously need something with a third row. I want to keep a tight budget (so I can put more into upgrades), so I’m looking at 2000-2010 year range. I’ve seen 2005-2011 Nissan Pathfinders with less than 200k miles, early 2000’s Toyota Sequoias with less than 150k miles, a lot of Tahoes and Yukons, and some Expeditions. My question is, what should I be leaning more towards? I want something that has good aftermarket support, as I’m not a welder and don’t want to pay for custom. If a similar thread is already on here, please feel free to point me to it. I just want to make sure that I make a wise choice with what’s available. Thanks!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The Toyota is the only one you listed that will likely have the type of aftermarket your looking for.

By aftermarket I'm not sure if you mean maintenance and repair parts or performance enhancing parts, not all aftermarket performance parts fit correctly and may need modifications.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Personally, I would stay with the bigger vehicles. As soon as you said 3rd row seat, that changed things. As @Boostpowered said, Toyota has the best aftermarket followed by GM on your list. If taken care of, Toyota will live the longest and GM will be less costly. The support for Nissan always has been poor for off-road but, they've gotten better on somethings in the last couple of years.

Go look at what you like, sit in the 3rd row or have your child sit there and see the fit. Now imagine how your going to pack for a weekend. That will tell you everything. On my TJ, I started bringing an old, modded M-100 trailer for my gear on trips if it was more than my wife and I.

Support wise, start researching specific web sites. I use IH8MUD for all my Cruiser questions. Not sure of the others. Once you find one to match what your looking at, you will learn about whatever quirks that vehicle has.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Having been a diesel and van guy for ages, I'm biased, though would have to say with a fam of that size, you might want to look at vans, especially a diesel van.

I have used mine (GMC Savana 3/4 ton, long wheelbase, 6.6 Duramax, RWD) extensively all over North America. I go absolutely everywhere I want with mine, even way back country, and tow a trailer most of the time. Needs less routine engine or exhaust maintenance than a gasser, known for lasting extremely long times (412,340 mi on mine currently), and are overall easier to repair than imports because you can get parts everywhere, and every mechanic worth his salt has worked on and is familiar with GM products.

I know several families who now use vans for extended adventures after trying smaller vehicles; one who used a retired shuttle bus van with more of a cube body and more windows. They were full-timers and hit every national park.

Last edited:

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

If you can fill in some information, like exactly haw you plan to use this vehicle, we can help guide you more. Are you towing? Going into remote areas? Type of terrain you will encounter? Duration of trips? Distance to be travelled in a trip? How much gear are you carrying?

From experience I will say a Tahoe or Yukon will have zero storage behind the third seat. I'd be thinking Suburban or Yukon XL. As stated the GM trucks will be the cheapest. I purchased a 2003 Tahoe brand new. My wife drove it for 12 years and now my father is still driving it today. Drivetrain is pretty bulletproof if you’re not doing wild wheeling or heavy towing with it. Like any vehicle those GM vehicles have their known issues, which I mostly fixed on my Tahoe myself. If you can find a 1999-2006 GMT800 SUV that lived outside the rust belt and has under 200,000 miles it might make for a great buy.

I've never been a Ford Expedition fan. They're not popular in the overlanding world for a reason. A sequoia may be nice but make sure the frame has been replaced or is in good condition if it's still original.

A full size van could work too. Only problem is any decent van that's had a quality 4x4 conversion will be fetching top dollar at the moment.

Reactions: DieselDave1064

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Find a V10 or 7.3 PSD Ford Excursion. Whatever you do, do NOT even consider a 6.0 PSD. Beyond that I'd say a full size van (preferably diesel, if it's not a 6.0 or 6.4 PSD) is actually your best bet. Most of the rigs you mentioned have very little storage space behind the 3rd row. Getting 6 people and all of their gear for a few days in (and on) a smaller 3-row SUV sounds like a nightmare.

-TJ

DieselDave1064

Rank II

Member I

Richmond, Chesterfield County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps Retired
Thanks for all the insight. It did appear that I left out some information, primarily what I intend to use it for. Well, I’m looking for something that can handle something for a weekend trip, yet also be my semi-daily (I work from home, so I don’t drive daily) driver..

I understand with the third row that I’m losing interior cargo space, but I’m not opposed to towing something or using every bit of the roof of the vehicle. As far as terrain, I’m not really sure. I am not looking to go rock crawling or on some crazy off-road experiences, but I’d like to not have to rely on a winch for every trip. The word that pops in my head is “capable”.

As far as what I mean by aftermarket support…I want to be able to find skid plates, bumpers, roof rack items, etc. online that are designed specifically for my vehicle (understanding that not everything is “bolt-on”).

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
You can also look around for an 80-Series Landcruiser. They can be a bit expensive and are all a bit older than you specified, but you can shop around for a good price on a later year model one. They did come with 3rd row seats (some model years have seat belts for 8, others for 7, I don't recall what years for that though) and in stock form will have all the capability that you could need starting out, with aftermarket support for later if you want. They're legendarily reliable and there's a ton of information here and in other forums on maintenance and such. Not to mention, being an older vehicle, they're going to be simpler to work on than a newer rig. Only real downside is the MPG :grimacing:

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

You can also look around for an 80-Series Landcruiser. They can be a bit expensive and are all a bit older than you specified, but you can shop around for a good price on a later year model one. They did come with 3rd row seats (some model years have seat belts for 8, others for 7, I don't recall what years for that though) and in stock form will have all the capability that you could need starting out, with aftermarket support for later if you want. They're legendarily reliable and there's a ton of information here and in other forums on maintenance and such. Not to mention, being an older vehicle, they're going to be simpler to work on than a newer rig. Only real downside is the MPG :grimacing:
Exactly what I was going to suggest! The newer ones depreciate in value at a decent rate so depending on your budget you could score a deal.

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
Exactly what I was going to suggest! The newer ones depreciate in value at a decent rate so depending on your budget you could score a deal.
I honestly hadn't even thought of the newer Land Cruisers, but you're absolutely right. The 100 series ones are much newer than the 80 series and would have more niceties (and be within the year range you're looking at). They'll still be more than capable enough for almost anything, and there is aftermarket support for them--probably not as good as for the 80 series, but it's still a Land Cruiser... The 100 series is also IFS, so it will have better on-road driving characteristics than the 80 and will generally be more comfortable.

Reactions: DieselDave1064

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

4Runner with 3rd row, Lexus GX or LX, Land Cruiser, or Tahoe/Suburban. Those are probably the only ones I'd consider.