Nomadic 270 degree awning form Overland Vehicle Systems

• HTML tutorial

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA
Hello
I bought mine through Campsaver. Ordered 6/28/20, email 'shipping soon' on 7/11/20, shipped 7/28/20, received 8/5/20. There was a rip in the bag that appeared to be from the factory (box showed no signs of distress at that location). Still waiting on a replacement bag (orig due in late Sept) but OVS said they received no bags in the recent container. Customer service was courteous and polite but net affect seems to be a lot of waiting both pre and post sales. Probably a sign that demand is high high high. There was a coupon at the time I bought it from Campsaver that saved 20% if I recall correctly. It's a nicely made unit, just hope yours shows up without blems!
Ken
I actually ended up getting a nice 270 free standing awning no poles. I passed on the Nomadic, not willing to wait for China shipment and hit or miss quality

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Hey all, does anybody know if there's a way to mount this to a tubular steel roof basket, or does it mount only directly to HD style racks? I have a generic roof basket on my camper shell that I kind of like, and I have Yakima tube style rack bars. The pics of the brackets I've seen don't look like they'd work with my setup, but I also really like the look of this awning, so I just want to be sure. Updating both my basket and or rack bars would add quite a bit of expense though.

Joe A W

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Hacienda Heights, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Wohlmuth
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF6OYR
I have the OVS Nomad 270 and the mounts come with U bolts that should go around a round bar like the Yakima. The awning come with 3 mounting brackets and 2 U bolts for each bracket. I mounted mine on Thule bars.image.jpg

Reactions: Aequitas1916

Robbarino

Rank 0

Contributor I

Florida, USA
First Name
R
Last Name
Martin
Is there a way to raise this awning up a bit with the mount, so a 4Runner can open the hatch underneath without hitting the aluminum bar? I am getting a green lane rack.

Last edited:

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have broken two outside covers on mine. They made them much too small and the covers can NOT easily contain the awning when closed up. I have tried a lot of different ways to pack it and none of them work worth a crap.

Last edited:

DBG

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kamuela, Hawaii County, Hawaii, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Ackerman
Member #

I never had any issues packing it up. It was a two person job. But always pa led up with room to spare. I am military freefall parachutists so I am use to stuffing shit into small spaces. If you know you know.

I have broken two outside covers on mine. They made them much too small and the covers can NOT easily contain the awning when closed up. I have tried a lot of different ways to pack it and none of them work worth a crap.

I NO LONGER RECOMMEND THIS AWNING. due to this faulty design...

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I never had any issues packing it up. It was a two person job. But always pa led up with room to spare. I am military freefall parachutists so I am use to stuffing shit into small spaces. If you know you know.
Keep in mind I started this thread in 2019 so I have plenty of experience using this awning. To bad you don't live near here I would be very happy to let you try mine... There are a lot of people who complain about this very same problem so I am not about to tell someone they all work just fine. Just because some people like yourself have not had a problem does not mean that all of them will work like yours just as not all of them fortunately will not work like mine.

Now if OVS wants to send me a new one that works I will be glad to endorse them for doing the right thing.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

I have the opposite experience. I had one on my Go Fast Campers and I used it all over the country without a problem. When I sold the GFC I immediately bought one for my new Super pacific camper. I have tried other awnings that friends have used and I can’t find anything better for the price. There are some good videos on how to roll the awning up leaving plenty of room for the zipper. I have rolled the awning up in every type of weather condition, used the walls in everything from sun to snow, from 10,000 feet in Colorado to stay warm, to the plains of South Dakota to ward off the wind. I’ve never had a problem.

Reactions: zgfiredude

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I just bought one as well. Only have a couple deployments on it and while I would not call it easy to pack up, it seem to be managable. The last time I put it up it went pretty smooth. I did add zipper pulls to it the first time I used it because I was struggling a little. But so far so good! And I found a screaming deal, I only paid $560 with the brackets and everything.
Sorry you are having trouble with yours! I hope mine continues to behave.

Reactions: ScenicCityOverland

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Mine worked ok for about the first year and even then it was still very hard to fit in there. I have tried all the different ways of packing it up and none of them work. Like I said my unit was one of the first ones sold and I wonder if they made some changes to make it easier. I really don't want to have a custom cover made but, that would cure the problem.

Last edited:

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA
Quit buying cheap chinese parts for your rig. The quality is hit or miss. Some will be okay, some will not. Pay once cry once. I bought an Alucab 270 and never looked back.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Same here.

However, I will admit I have the Nomadic LT 270, which has a smaller deployed size. It looks like the LT version has less one support rod. The LT awning fits so easily in the cover I purposefully roll up the awning loose to help fill out the bag to prevent the bag from flapping when driving down the highway. I wonder if OVS is using the same cover bag for the Nomadic and Nomadic LT awnings. The Nomadic LT is easy to roll up, strap down and zip the cover on with one person. I did it at least 30 times in 2021 (haven't used the awning yet in 2022).

It withstood A LOT of rain last year on my CDT trip and has held up fine to wind.
1648149409316.png

1648149544588.png

1648150053167.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ScenicCityOverland

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Yeah, I guess I have the OVS Nomadic LT. Maybe that is why I do not consider it to be especially difficult to pack up.

Enthusiast III

Mine worked ok for about the first year and even then it was still very hard to fit in there. I have tried all the different ways of packing it up and none of them work. Like I said my unit was one of the first ones sold and I wonder if they made some changes to make it easier. I really don't want to have a custom cover made but, that would cure the problem. I will be removing mine soon and not sure if I will get a new cover, toss it in the trash or just let it rot out in the corner. Right now I am pretty disgusted with it and feeling bad that I influenced so many people to buy one.
Don’t feel bad for anything. You shared your opinion, and one held by many of us since the awning came out. Like you I got onboard really early with mine. For most people it’s a great product. There is a bit of a trick to rolling it up, but once you get used to the process it’s fine.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I didn't use a lot but it's a little hard to fold and cover is a little too small but video on YouTube helped a lot to understand techniques. I don't see a big problem. It's big but because they are using heavy duty materials. Nothing perfect , even my iKamper is not I wish more space to keep sleeping bags and better mattress so you can alway to find a bad side of everything same trucks SuV .... you named .

RubiBluCru

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South Carolina
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Wellman
I have found that a mini fold before rolling helps. Also lubricating the zipper helps.
I wish the walls had windows/ventilation.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
UPDATE... I decided to give this one more chance... I told OVS I needed a new cover and mentioned my covers in the past did not fit.
They gladly shipped me a cover at no charge and to my delight it fit much looser and it easily zipped right up. I will enjoy being able to use this awning again.

Reactions: Dusther210