Nomadic 270 degree awning form Overland Vehicle Systems

• HTML tutorial

lugee3

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Hi folks, wanted to drop in and say thank you to all the contributors here. PULLED THE TRIGGER yesterday on a passenger side 270 and full wall set. I thought I would try and add some of my thoughts and research along the way.

First off, all the photos and videos here are invaluable. I ran across the following article that I found really useful for understanding the different designs and footprints in the market. Though OVS is not listed, it mirrors the Darche.

I was very interested in the Darche but as an Australian import, it’s just more expensive. I also considered the Overland Pros models but their footprint is smaller. That said, they have an excellent price point, decent reviews, and the walls have multiple sides with mesh for more ventilation, which I really liked.

What really made the difference for me is good customer service. I’ll pay more for decent support, period. After talking with Sean yesterday, that was enough to close the deal.

I plan to use this awning primarily on a Hiker trailer. I have a square CVT awning today which is great, but doesn’t offer near the coverage or enclosed space (family of 7, we roll pretty deep). As I understand it, Hiker is switching to OVS, from Batwing due to quality issues, and Darche due to cost.

Cheers and thanks!
You will love it. It is identical if not the same as the Darche Eclipse Gen 1.

Reactions: DBG

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Hi folks, wanted to drop in and say thank you to all the contributors here. PULLED THE TRIGGER yesterday on a passenger side 270 and full wall set. I thought I would try and add some of my thoughts and research along the way.

First off, all the photos and videos here are invaluable. I ran across the following article that I found really useful for understanding the different designs and footprints in the market. Though OVS is not listed, it mirrors the Darche.

I was very interested in the Darche but as an Australian import, it’s just more expensive. I also considered the Overland Pros models but their footprint is smaller. That said, they have an excellent price point, decent reviews, and the walls have multiple sides with mesh for more ventilation, which I really liked.

What really made the difference for me is good customer service. I’ll pay more for decent support, period. After talking with Sean yesterday, that was enough to close the deal.

I plan to use this awning primarily on a Hiker trailer. I have a square CVT awning today which is great, but doesn’t offer near the coverage or enclosed space (family of 7, we roll pretty deep). As I understand it, Hiker is switching to OVS, from Batwing due to quality issues, and Darche due to cost.

Cheers and thanks!
Nice! Let us know how the full wall set work out for you. If I am going on a trip and will be stationary for a couple of days, that may be something i would be interested in.

lugee3

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Also, fyi for those looking for this awning. Campsaver currently has 25% off full priced items with code FLASH25. Takes $225 off the price of this awning.
I have been watching the campsaver deals. I really wish they had the passenger side walls. Their customer service rep said they do not know if they will be getting those.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

So just another update on my awning. I just spend a day doing some moderate off roading. We got to a nice little viewpoint so I decided to set up the awning while we relaxed. Opened it up and a bolt from the pivot joint fell out. It was an easy fix as I just need to line everything up and re-insert. Tomorrow, Im probably going to add a little blue loctite just to prevent it from slipping out.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
So just another update on my awning. I just spend a day doing some moderate off roading. We got to a nice little viewpoint so I decided to set up the awning while we relaxed. Opened it up and a bolt from the pivot joint fell out. It was an easy fix as I just need to line everything up and re-insert. Tomorrow, Im probably going to add a little blue loctite just to prevent it from slipping out.
Thanks for the reminder that happened to mine too...

Enthusiast III

Sounds like something I need to check! Thank you.

lugee3

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Did you order from Campsaver, and have you used them before?
I have, they are associated with opticsplanet and other webstores. I use to order camping supplies from them as their prices were often more competitive than REI.

Thanks for the heads up. I ended up taking all the swing arm bolts off to check. All but that rear pivot joint were loctited from the factory.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I have, they are associated with opticsplanet and other webstores. I use to order camping supplies from them as their prices were often more competitive than REI.

Thanks for the heads up. I ended up taking all the swing arm bolts off to check. All but that rear pivot joint were loctited from the factory.
That is interesting. I wonder if there was a specific reason that they did that.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM

The rear bolt is the one that came loose on mine and since the awning was deployed it was a real pain in the butt to reinstall.

RubiBluCru

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South Carolina
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Wellman

I did order the awning and all 3 walls from Campsaver with the 25% discount. Couldn’t pass up that deal!

NewTxJL

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

UPDATE:

First time ordering from campsaver.com.
Order date: May 2nd
Campsaver placed PO with OVS: May 12th
Shipping: May 14th. (after I called OVS and they promised to expedite)

Over 2 weeks to deliver is somewhat unacceptable to me, but i'll attribute some of that covid.

I saved $225 on this awning (25% off at campsaver), putting it in the same price range as Rhino rack awning, which to me isn't as tough and definitely not close to being freestanding. I'll call this a win for now.

• Love
Reactions: halfmacgas and DBG

DBG

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kamuela, Hawaii County, Hawaii, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Ackerman
Member #

UPDATE:

First time ordering from campsaver.com.
Order date: May 2nd
Campsaver placed PO with OVS: May 12th
Shipping: May 14th. (after I called OVS and they promised to expedite)

Over 2 weeks to deliver is somewhat unacceptable to me, but i'll attribute some of that covid.

I saved $225 on this awning (25% off at campsaver), putting it in the same price range as Rhino rack awning, which to me isn't as tough and definitely not close to being freestanding. I'll call this a win for now.
Well worth the wait!!