Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Reading 2 of the threads here regarding night photography got me to wondering.
I have not done any long exposure work with my digital and so some of my work flow for long exposures is film driven. I thought I would start the question here. In film there is the issue of reciprocity failure during log term exposures, failure point can vary between different film. But basically it results in the need to have a longer exposure than the metered EV would require to get accurate colour exposure on the film.
Is there anything like this with digital sensors? Or is it just noise I need to worry about?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@XJinBC
Reading 2 of the threads here regarding night photography got me to wondering.
I have not done any long exposure work with my digital and so some of my work flow for long exposures is film driven. I thought I would start the question here. In film there is the issue of reciprocity failure during log term exposures, failure point can vary between different film. But basically it results in the need to have a longer exposure than the metered EV would require to get accurate colour exposure on the film. Is there anything like this with digital sensors? Or is it just noise I need to worry about?
On modern sensors reciprocity failure is not generally an issue. Even my old Nikon D700 is fairly linear. Meaning if you double the shutter open time you can close down or lower the ISO setting by 1 stop. This holds true for even my longest exposures. I've done many at ~30 Mins and the math holds true at least that long. Astro-photography is sooooo Much more fun with Digital than it was with film. Higher ISOs are still usable, 6400 and higher depending on Camera. Feedback is nearly instant so you don't lose a night of sleep and $50 on developing due to some bad math or trying out a new film.

Boort

SW_UT_FJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS
@XJinBC

On modern sensors reciprocity failure is not generally an issue. Even my old Nikon D700 is fairly linear. Meaning if you double the shutter open time you can close down or lower the ISO setting by 1 stop. This holds true for even my longest exposures. I've done many at ~30 Mins and the math holds true at least that long. Astro-photography is sooooo Much more fun with Digital than it was with film. Higher ISOs are still usable, 6400 and higher depending on Camera. Feedback is nearly instant so you don't lose a night of sleep and $50 on developing due to some bad math or trying out a new film.

Boort
Well put, great information!

Reactions: Boort

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Thanks. This is what I assumed but, you know where that can get you sometimes. Digital makes learning and testing a whole lot faster.

@XJinBC

Boort
@XJinBC

Boort

Reactions: Boort

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Night time Photography is awesome. I became so obsessed with it at one point it was all I did. Digital is the way to go with this, the ability to have the shutter stay open for an eternity and know you are not going to be burning through film and time (maybe time) due to a small settings error. As far as reciprocity failure, I agree with @XJinBC you won't have an issue with digital. Even in today's smaller compacts, the sensors are built well enough you won't have an issue. Post some of your photos as you get up and going. Good luck!

Reactions: JimInBC