Newbie w/ Subie Outback. RTT on Thule Evo Wingbars w/ Hideaway Awning. Thoughts?

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Chino, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Barr
Hello,
I'm excited and new to this overland community, and to learn as much as I can. My wife and I have done a little ground camping a coupe of times, but have decided we absolutely want to get more into overlanding and follow our adventurous spirit! However, we are brand new at this, and have a lot to learn.

We're driving a new 2020 Subaru Outback, and we are excitingly awaiting arrival late spring of our new Go Fast Campers SUPERLITE RTT!! Meanwhile, we're collecting camping gear, and I'm ready to purchase a roof rack. From doing my homework, it seems like the Thule Evo Wingbar rack system is perhaps the preferred Subaru way to go, which will clamp to my raised factory rails. My tent is 50" w /90"l, weighing only 80lbs. My questions are the following:
- (Forgive my ignorance) The Thule Rack supports 220lbs dynamic...does this cancel out/supercede the factory crossbar 150lbs weight limit?

- I want to purchase the Thule Hideaway Awning, and have room to attach future accessories (weight considered)...would a 53" Wingbar be enough, or should I go the max 60"??

I do plan on leaving the rack on at all times, just removing the tent, since it's only 80lbs, I don't want my vehicle to look silly with perhaps too much overhang when not carrying anything?

I welcome all suggestions!! I'll post this under the gear thread as well.
Looking forward to learning from you all!
Thank you,

Jesse

Lawtonfire233

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Fletcher, OK
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Woodall
Member #

Sounds like a sweet ride. I don’t have a roof rack yet. Working on it though. Those weight limits are just a suggestion. They don’t really mean anything (wink wink). LOL!!! Let us know how it turns out. Welcome to the community!

photosubieoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I almost went the bar route with my 2016 outback but didn't want the gap between the rack or basket and the roof. I had a Yakima basket for a while but eventually ditched it for a Prinsu rack. I dont use a RTT (Gazelle user) but it would have no problem with a RTT.

Attachments

Reactions: Lawtonfire233

Traveler I

Chino, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Barr
I almost went the bar route with my 2016 outback but didn't want the gap between the rack or basket and the roof. I had a Yakima basket for a while but eventually ditched it for a Prinsu rack. I dont use a RTT (Gazelle user) but it would have no problem with a RTT.
Thanks. Welll, I've learned a lot more in the last couple weeks. I went to a rack dealer to inquire about the Thule bars. He convinced me that that wasn't the best option, since they attach to the flimsy factory rails, and wouldn't be much more support. He suggested Yakima jetstream because they attach more firmly to a bulkier part of the rail. However, he looked into parts for the 2020 Outback, and there has been nothing made yet! Subaru changed the bars in 2020.

I began looking at other options, but they're harder to find now for the 2020 rails. The Primary does look really great and is definitely a solution. I've watched some videos on installation though, and it's pretty gnarly tearing down the headliner. I feel like it's just never going to fit the same again.

I saw a frontrunner slimline II somehow attached to Subie rails, though not sure of the model year. I really like the look of this platform being so low profile to the roof, similar to the Prinsu. Also, lots of attachment accessory capabilities.

Anyway, I found another rack dealer that does custom tailor-fit racks, and explained my problem to them. They assured me they could help me out and do something similar to the frontrunner, but will likely remove the factory rails altogether. Sounds good to me at this point. I'm waiting on a call back to schedule an appointment.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Again, nice Prinsu! Looks real clean.

Jesse

Jonnymac

Rank 0

Contributor I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McWhorter
Thanks. Welll, I've learned a lot more in the last couple weeks. I went to a rack dealer to inquire about the Thule bars. He convinced me that that wasn't the best option, since they attach to the flimsy factory rails, and wouldn't be much more support. He suggested Yakima jetstream because they attach more firmly to a bulkier part of the rail. However, he looked into parts for the 2020 Outback, and there has been nothing made yet! Subaru changed the bars in 2020.

I began looking at other options, but they're harder to find now for the 2020 rails. The Primary does look really great and is definitely a solution. I've watched some videos on installation though, and it's pretty gnarly tearing down the headliner. I feel like it's just never going to fit the same again.

I saw a frontrunner slimline II somehow attached to Subie rails, though not sure of the model year. I really like the look of this platform being so low profile to the roof, similar to the Prinsu. Also, lots of attachment accessory capabilities.

Anyway, I found another rack dealer that does custom tailor-fit racks, and explained my problem to them. They assured me they could help me out and do something similar to the frontrunner, but will likely remove the factory rails altogether. Sounds good to me at this point. I'm waiting on a call back to schedule an appointment.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Again, nice Prinsu! Looks real clean.

Jesse
Keep us posted. Getting my 2019 OB tomorrow and would love to see what you end up with.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Please be sure to start a "Build" thread for your Subie, there are a few out there and could benefit from your build.....You can start now with a "before" pic and your rough plans......
Build threads: Overland Vehicle Build Threads

Jim

JStowe2

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Keller, Texas, United States
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Stowe
Member #

Hello,
I'm excited and new to this overland community, and to learn as much as I can. My wife and I have done a little ground camping a coupe of times, but have decided we absolutely want to get more into overlanding and follow our adventurous spirit! However, we are brand new at this, and have a lot to learn.

We're driving a new 2020 Subaru Outback, and we are excitingly awaiting arrival late spring of our new Go Fast Campers SUPERLITE RTT!! Meanwhile, we're collecting camping gear, and I'm ready to purchase a roof rack. From doing my homework, it seems like the Thule Evo Wingbar rack system is perhaps the preferred Subaru way to go, which will clamp to my raised factory rails. My tent is 50" w /90"l, weighing only 80lbs. My questions are the following:
- (Forgive my ignorance) The Thule Rack supports 220lbs dynamic...does this cancel out/supercede the factory crossbar 150lbs weight limit?

- I want to purchase the Thule Hideaway Awning, and have room to attach future accessories (weight considered)...would a 53" Wingbar be enough, or should I go the max 60"??

I do plan on leaving the rack on at all times, just removing the tent, since it's only 80lbs, I don't want my vehicle to look silly with perhaps too much overhang when not carrying anything?

I welcome all suggestions!! I'll post this under the gear thread as well.
Looking forward to learning from you all!
Thank you,

Jesse
Great questions! I had a lot of questions as I started my journey with my 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx. The factory rails were very limiting when it came to accessories. As I understand it (and anyone is welcome to correct me), the rack capacity does not negate the rail limits. I attempted to go with a Front Runner rack system and RTT but quickly ran into limitations with the factory rail system. I had to alter course and unfortunately move away from the RTT. I’m currently running a Yakima LockNLoad rack with a 23Zero awning. For sleeping, I alternate between car camping and tent camping depending on the situation. It’s been a fun journey for us! Enjoy the ride! And I’ll be interested to see how things develop for you! Keep us posted!