jeepstertim

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Doha, Qatar
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Jones
Hi all, currently working and living in Qatar but planning my overland return home (UK) has started already. I wanted to use an ACMAT VLRA for the trip but import restrictions here mean vehicles have to be less than 10 years old. Not a problem and as a long term Jeep owner (1942 Willys MB, CJ5, TJ, JK and GC) it was the perfect excuse to buy a Gladiator Rubicon.

I have looked at options including slide in campers but think I'll end up with a bed mounted RTT.

My previous overlanding is fairly limited, I drove from Bosnia to the UK in an old TAM 110 (most fabulous off-road vehicle) and have spent many years off-roading.

I'm struggling with my route currently and think I have 3 loose route options, 2 I think will be 'unsafe' and the 3rd is stalling as I can't find a way North from Egypt/ Israel into the lower Mediterranean. Questions to follow.......

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi all, currently working and living in Qatar but planning my overland return home (UK) has started already. I wanted to use an ACMAT VLRA for the trip but import restrictions here mean vehicles have to be less than 10 years old. Not a problem and as a long term Jeep owner (1942 Willys MB, CJ5, TJ, JK and GC) it was the perfect excuse to buy a Gladiator Rubicon.

I have looked at options including slide in campers but think I'll end up with a bed mounted RTT.

My previous overlanding is fairly limited, I drove from Bosnia to the UK in an old TAM 110 (most fabulous off-road vehicle) and have spent many years off-roading.

I'm struggling with my route currently and think I have 3 loose route options, 2 I think will be 'unsafe' and the 3rd is stalling as I can't find a way North from Egypt/ Israel into the lower Mediterranean. Questions to follow.......
Welcome to Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
“Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The Regional Director in the Middle East is @Get Out GO and when you return to the UK it will be Dave Spinks @Polaris Overland. Dave can probably help you with your upcoming adventure.
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran

Hi I’m Dave the West Europe Director including the U.K.
I’ve Overlander much of Asia and all of Europe so if I can help you out with your trip planning etc then let me know.

Once in the U.K. I can help you get settled and connected with the regional members and get you actively involved.
Any questions etc please do not hesitate to drop me a message.
Welcome to the group.

Reactions: jeepstertim

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Tim, welcome to the OB family.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

Welcome to the Overland Bound Community Tim. Glad to have you join us.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I studied the routes there a lot. The only viable rout right now that I know of since the ferry from Alexandria is done , is via Iran, which is a a very beautiful country and a lot to explore there , plus it gives you access to Armenia and Georgia, both worth a lot of time exploring if you will have the time.
The only issue I see for the the route trough Iran and Turkey is the "carnet de passges" thing for Iran, but you would need that in Egypt as well anyway.
Right now that would be the full land route I would take, From Quatar to UK, for accessibility, safety and interesting places to visit..

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT

Welcome to Overland Bound.

RJJK

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Dubai - United Arab Emirates
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Jenkins
I studied the routes there a lot. The only viable rout right now that I know of since the ferry from Alexandria is done , is via Iran, which is a a very beautiful country and a lot to explore there , plus it gives you access to Armenia and Georgia, both worth a lot of time exploring if you will have the time.
The only issue I see for the the route trough Iran and Turkey is the "carnet de passges" thing for Iran, but you would need that in Egypt as well anyway.
Right now that would be the full land route I would take, From Quatar to UK, for accessibility, safety and interesting places to visit..
If I am not mistaken, for a UK national it is very difficult for us to explore Iran as we are required to have a 'guide'

Any other nationality apart from Uk or US I believe it is ok to travelunaccompanied

jeepstertim

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Doha, Qatar
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Jones
Thanks for all the responses and welcomes. There have been some 'gentle' mods on the JTR; it's now running on 35" tyres and I have lifted the front by 1.5" and the rear by.75" which gets rid of the forward rake these things have from the factory. The Jeep is outstanding in the sand and rides really well off road. plans are afoot for the rear bed and a sleeping solution.

I have looked some more as to how to get into Turkey/ Europe/ Greece and I'm still battling to find a route. I am English, the Jeep will be on Qatari plates. I haven't found anything north out of Egypt, I'm not Israel will let me in with Qatari plates and Iran is difficult due to nationality. Going West into Libya I don't perceive 'safe' and East via Syria the same. Has anyone got out to the North?

Attachments

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I don't you will have a issue in Israel. They even give you the entry visa on a separate paper so it will not visible on your passport to avoid issue with other Arab countries.

jeepstertim

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Doha, Qatar
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Jones
So route is firming up (images attached). To break out of the Middle East, it's looking increasingly like I'll go Syria-Lebanon and then ferry to Tasucu in Turkey, has anyone done this route recently? If this doesn't work, it'll be Syria-Turkey.

If anyone has any must dos that my route doesn't seem to take in please shout.
Leg turkey_greece.png

Reactions: Dave Snyder