freddils

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Asheville, NC
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Jones
Morning all. New guy from Western NC here. New to off-roading in general. Always loved the outdoors and been backpacking and camping for over a decade. Always had a passing interest in Overlanding, but have decided to dive in. No rig yet, but looking to pick one up in the next six months or so. Excited to be here!

Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

freddils

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Asheville, NC
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Jones
Looking towards something with some room. Nothing large, but I've been poking the listings here for Cherokee XJs and 3rd Gen 4runners. The wife and I are expecting our first, and I want to impart that sense of wonder and awe that I have felt in the wild while backpacking. So something with enough room for the three of us a gear is key. Something with enough capability to get me wherever I want to go, but no interest in any serious rock crawling.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Morning all. New guy from Western NC here. New to off-roading in general. Always loved the outdoors and been backpacking and camping for over a decade. Always had a passing interest in Overlanding, but have decided to dive in. No rig yet, but looking to pick one up in the next six months or so. Excited to be here!
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @JRElaxED & @Zombie
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Looking towards something with some room. Nothing large, but I've been poking the listings here for Cherokee XJs and 3rd Gen 4runners. The wife and I are expecting our first, and I want to impart that sense of wonder and awe that I have felt in the wild while backpacking. So something with enough room for the three of us a gear is key. Something with enough capability to get me wherever I want to go, but no interest in any serious rock crawling.
Don't think you can go wrong with either of those options plenty of aftermarket for both and roadmaps to build both out...i started with what was in the drive way...

Good luck I am pretty new to the forum so far found lots helpful people and information

freddils

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Asheville, NC
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Jones
Don't think you can go wrong with either of those options plenty of aftermarket for both and roadmaps to build both out...i started with what was in the drive way...

Good luck I am pretty new to the forum so far found lots helpful people and information
For sure. I've seen lots of options while looking around for builds and way to modify those. And can find them pretty darn cheap too.

If I could use my current truck I would. It's an 06 Tundra with 220k miles and some light mods that were done before we got it. We snagged it from the in laws for 5k. Would make a killer full size rig, but alas, it's 2wd. It's almost gotten stuck in a wet grass field before. It's been down plenty of well maintained forest service and gravel roads, but I'm looking towards wilder places.

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

For sure. I've seen lots of options while looking around for builds and way to modify those. And can find them pretty darn cheap too.

If I could use my current truck I would. It's an 06 Tundra with 220k miles and some light mods that were done before we got it. We snagged it from the in laws for 5k. Would make a killer full size rig, but alas, it's 2wd. It's almost gotten stuck in a wet grass field before. It's been down plenty of well maintained forest service and gravel roads, but I'm looking towards wilder places.
There is a 2WD Thread in the RIGs forum you would prob be fine on most mild trails but with a little one and wife i am with you on playing it safe ensuring where you can you dont get strabded

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Welcome Fred!