Rank IV

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Sol
Member #

I'm sure this has been discussed but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for in Search. If there is a thread that covers this, please direct me to it.

I recently read that you can take the exam online now for a license, and I really wanna take that route. What sites are best? Is it region specific, or good across the U.S.?
What kind of license do I need to get to use radio's out on trails?
And is GMRS a separate License, or is there one that covers both?

I've got a couple of handheld radios that me and a buddy used when we would go on fishing trips in separate kayaks/pond boats and didn't know they required a license until recently.
I'm looking to get legal, and eventually have one installed in my rig.

I appreciate the info! Sorry if this topic has been beat to death :/

Reactions: Ubiety

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm sure this has been discussed but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for in Search. If there is a thread that covers this, please direct me to it.

I recently read that you can take the exam online now for a license, and I really wanna take that route. What sites are best? Is it region specific, or good across the U.S.?

I've got a couple of handheld radios that me and a buddy used when we would go on fishing trips in separate kayaks/pond boats and didn't know they required a license until recently.

Can't help you on the online testing front.

What kind of license you need depends on what bands you are using. CB and FRS requires no license. HAM requires an Amateur Radio License. GMRS requires a GMRS license.

There are no licenses that cover all the services. GMRS and Amateur Radio are two separate licenses.

What kind of handhelds are you using? I'm guessing Baofengs but if they're bubble pack FRS radios you won't need a license for those.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

1.I recently read that you can take the exam online now for a license, and I really wanna take that route. What sites are best? Is it region specific, or good across the U.S.?
2.What kind of license do I need to get to use radio's out on trails?
3.And is GMRS a separate License, or is there one that covers both?

4. I've got a couple of handheld radios that me and a buddy used when we would go on fishing trips in separate kayaks/pond boats and didn't know they required a license until recently.

1. Visit www.hamstudy.org/sessions to find a virtual test session.
2. Depends on the radio, ham radio you need a ham/amateur radio license. A Technician license is enough for trail comms via ham radio.
3. GMRS is a separate license, no license covers multiple radio services.
4. An FRS handheld is license free and can communicate with GMRS radios (licensed)

OutdoorTxs

Rank IV

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Sol
Member #

Can't help you on the online testing front.

What kind of license you need depends on what bands you are using. CB and FRS requires no license. HAM requires an Amateur Radio License. GMRS requires a GMRS license.

There are no licenses that cover all the services. GMRS and Amateur Radio are two separate licenses.

What kind of handhelds are you using? I'm guessing Baofengs but if they're bubble pack FRS radios you won't need a license for those.

They are Baofeng Radios. These to be exact - Capture.PNG

OutdoorTxs

Rank IV

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Sol
Member #

2. Depends on the radio, ham radio you need a ham/amateur radio license. A Technician license is enough for trail comms via ham radio.
4. An FRS handheld is license free and can communicate with GMRS radios (licensed)
Thanks for the link and info!

Reactions: Ubiety

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

For what it's worth and you may already know if you have read other GMRS threads the GMRS license covers your immediate family and will soon be dropping to $35.
The ham test will also soon be increasing to $35 plus any additional testing fee charged by the test administrators.
The radio you posted is a ham radio, though illegal it can be programmed for GMRS as well.
If you are planning on vehicle to vehicle comms I would suggest looking at adding an external antenna at a minimum and preferably a mobile radio.

RMCM

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bellevue, NE, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Esquibel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5FMF
Service Branch
USMC/USN
Thanks for the link and info!
If you’re active duty, retired military, or a vet GLAARG with let you take the online exam at no cost to you.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Yeah, need an amateur license to use that legally. On the upside it gives you an excuse to get your HAM license :D

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If you’re active duty, retired military, or a vet GLAARG with let you take the online exam at no cost to you.
Soon that won't be up to them to decide as the FCC is implementing a $35 licensing fee in addition to any fees the VEC group may or may not charge.

Reactions: Ubiety and Downs

RMCM

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bellevue, NE, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Esquibel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5FMF
Service Branch
USMC/USN
True, but a few dollars off is worth it.

Soon that won't be up to them to decide as the FCC is implementing a $35 licensing fee in addition to any fees the VEC group may or may not charge.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Contact me via DM... I have sources I can’t list publicly... also you mention both Ham and GMRS. Both require licenses, but GMRS doesn’t have a test associated with it.

Reactions: OutdoorTxs