New Storage Solution (Prototype) and Lithium Dual Battery System - Thoughts?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Encinitas, CA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Morton

Hey Guys - Overlander enthusiast out of San Diego here. Just recently switched from a Tacoma to a 4Runner and have been working on getting it kitted out for the trail. One thing I have been spending a lot of time on is storage and the dual battery system. From everything I have read, lithiums don't do well in heat (ie. engine bay). So through some CAD and 3D printing magic I think I came up with a solution for both. My thought was this takes advantage of the awkward wheel well area and still works with the classic drawer systems and ragu panels. I am using it to house my battery, inverter, etc. - but I figured it might be a good place for recovery gear, camping gear, tools etc.

Wheels/Shocks:

Toytec 3" Lift w/Old Man EMU BP-51 Bypass shocks.
TRD Wheels w/Cooper SST Pro Muds (295/70R18)

Exterior:

C4Fab low profile front bumper w/9.5 warn winch
Custom Costal Offroad Kit rear bumper w/tire swing out and rounded the corners which gave it a better look imo
Cali-Raised 20 degree rock sliders w/ kickout
LFD offroad skids
Prinsu Design Full Roof Rack (drill option)

Lighting:

all-around LED rock lights (blanking on manufacturer)
Cali-Raised 32inch light bar (inside front bumper)

Engine:
Hard Mounted Viair Air Compressor which feeds into 3 gallon tank mounted near stock spare tire location
AFB Cold Air Intake

Dual Battery System:
Lion Energy UT 1300 - 100AH
Renogy 100W Flexible Monocrystalline Panel
Renogy 50A DC-DC Charger/MPPT
Giandel 1200W Pure Sign Wave Inverter

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Nice install but I'd like to see a little stronger battery bracket then just the plastic box. Remember at 75mph, the battery is traveling at 75mph. If you hit a wall on the driver side you'll have a missile traveling at, you guessed it, 75mph inside the truck.
Very nice video and thanks for sharing.
Zim

Enthusiast I

Encinitas, CA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Morton
Nice install but I'd like to see a little stronger battery bracket then just the plastic box. Remember at 75mph, the battery is traveling at 75mph. If you hit a wall on the driver side you'll have a missile traveling at, you guessed it, 75mph inside the truck.
Very nice video and thanks for sharing.
Zim
Yessir, great point. Working on fixed attachment points within box or atleast a better solution for permanent mounting. Thanks much!

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have no experience with printed plastic and question it's strength. I do have some experience with zip ties and would suggest on the final product you use hose clamps, UV is a killer to zip ties. Otherwise nice design and execution!