• HTML tutorial

b_boden

Rank 0

Traveler I

Renton, WA
Member #

Hello all!

About me:
My name is Brendan and I am a freelance graphic designer & photographer based in Seattle, WA. Really Renton, WA but people know Seattle more than Renton. I am a photoagrapher for the MLB/Mariners and I also have a part time job at Eddie Bauer (who doesn't love a discount?!). I grew up camping every other weekend with my parents exploring this great state and all it has to offer. I found Overland Bound through Instagram as I am always drooling over peoples rigs. Since a huge goal of mine this year is to get out and explore more I decided to join as a member so that way I can connect with more people near by to go out and have a good time with. I am a complete novice/noob to overlanding, so I am excited to learn a lot about making a capable vehicle as well as seeing some great places.

About the Rig:
My Fiance and I bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee last year after I totaled her Mazda Protoge heading to work one morning. We always wanted something larger than my single cab 2WD Ranger and more capable than the Ranger and her hatchback. So we decided to go with the Cherokee KL, so far we are loving it!

It is a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latatiude, 4x4, with a 2.4L 4 cyl. So far no modifications done, other than throwing on 245/65r17 BFG Ko2's to give it a little more capability off road and a more aggressive look. So far, can't ask for much more with these tires. They handled great during our snow season, and worked perfect going up to the mountains to get some laps in down the slopes. Aside from tire and a roof rack (basket, bike rack & ski/snowboard rack) the Jeep is bone stock.

Future Plans:
I would love to make the Jeep more capable, but right now there isn't a whole lot on the market for it. There are a couple companies that can give about a 2-3" lift and allow about a 32" tire to fit and I think eventually I would go that route. I would love to throw a GOBI rack on as well as a light bar, but those are all probably going to be late 2017/early-mid 2018 mods.

Overland Trailer:
I picked up a 1961 Ben Hur farm trailer a month back in plans to make an overland trailer with it (already have a ton of ideas based on reading through trailer build threads. Will post in there once the work starts). Since the rear cargo area of the jeep is limited and having two dogs I wanted some way to make the jeep more capable when camping. My plan for the trailer is to do a pretty simple restoration (rusted out pretty bad, but couldn't beat the $200 I paid for it), tongue box, rack and roof top tent. I want it to be simple right now so I can enjoy it for this summer and really get a feel for what I want'need out of it. I will build it overtime and make modifications as needed, but for my plans this summer it should do just fine.

Rig Photos:
Only got out once last summer to go camping after we picked it up, so I don't have a whole lot of photos. But below are a couple photos I have right now and some pulled off my Instagram page.

First day after buying it.
0A3_0532.jpg

New tires, checking out a wedding venue.
IMG_9662.JPG

Picked up the trailer.
IMG_8707.JPG

Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here and meeting some awesome people!

- Brendan

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

Welcome to the site. I am a little south of you and am a noob as well and am reading tons of stuff and learning how to plan routs and what not. The WA people have had a couple of meet ups since I have joined and it was a great time to meet some like minded people and ask many questions from some that have been doing it a while. Looking forward to the trailer build.

Reactions: b_boden

b_boden

Rank 0

Traveler I

Renton, WA
Member #

Welcome to the site. I am a little south of you and am a noob as well and am reading tons of stuff and learning how to plan routs and what not. The WA people have had a couple of meet ups since I have joined and it was a great time to meet some like minded people and ask many questions from some that have been doing it a while. Looking forward to the trailer build.
Yeah, not too far away at all!

Good to hear that there is a decent Washington based presence here. I figured there would be since there is so much to do, but you never know!

Once I get a build thread going on the trailer I'm going to post the link in here.

b_boden

Rank 0

Traveler I

Renton, WA
Member #

Hey Brendan. East Renton highlands here. We should hit a trail sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are SUPER close! I used to drive through the highlands to get to work in Bellevue before I got laid off in October. Used to take Coal Creek all the way into Factoria to avoid 405. haha

Would love to meetup sometime and hit some trails!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Welcome! I was just out your way all last week, visiting my daughter who attends SPU. I ran into @PoetryOverland there, and didn't even know it until after the fact!

b_boden

Rank 0

Traveler I

Renton, WA
Member #

Welcome! I was just out your way all last week, visiting my daughter who attends SPU. I ran into @PoetryOverland there, and didn't even know it until after the fact!
Nice! You got a good mixture of our weather! Last week was an interesting one.

Reactions: Steve

b_boden

Rank 0

Traveler I

Renton, WA
Member #

No doubt. You would think they are made of gold for some of the prices people are asking.
Even for some that are rust buckets! I can ALMOST see it being worth it for a pristine trailer with some modern upgrades, but not quite in my eyes. However, that's what makes everyone different and awesome!

Guy wanted $350 for this trailer, once we got there (my buddy who is going to help/"do most of the work" for me went with to pick it up) we realized it was in way worse shape than we though. Guy said we could have it for $200. I felt that was a fair price for the tailgate, wheels/tires, axle, leaf springs and most importantly the TITLE. Now I don't have to pay to get it inspected by state patrol and deal with any of that headache.

NW4XForester

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Federal Way WA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Bayer
Member #

Welcome, I'm in Federal Way.
Looks like a good start and I hope the trailer project turns out great for you!
I've always wanted a trailer set up but my rig is not meant to tow a base camp trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

b_boden

Rank 0

Traveler I

Renton, WA
Member #

Welcome, I'm in Federal Way.
Looks like a good start and I hope the trailer project turns out great for you!
I've always wanted a trailer set up but my rig is not meant to tow a base camp trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Thank you!

Lukily, these things (depending on how they are built) are super light! I don't know what it weighs now but I know I won't have any issues towing it. I don't have the factory tow package so once I add a hitch my towing capacity will only be about 2,000 lbs. Since this trailer is going to be so minimal I think I will be well under that weight limit, even loaded up.

Reactions: NW4XForester