Member I

Columbus, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
McLain
Member #

Hello,

I just joined OB today and think it will be a great resource for my upcoming 12 months living overland. Beginning on my 55 birthday at the end of August, I plan a three phase journey.
  1. August 27-October 30 travel from Columbus Ohio around the Great Lakes eastward accross Canada to St. John’s Newfoundland. I will then work my way back to Columbus via Nova Scotia, New England to arrive back in Columbus for the October 30 OSU Penn State Game.
  2. I will depart Columbus the first of November taking four weeks to arrive in Jacksonville Florida for Thanksgiving with Family. Those weeks will be spent in the mountains of West Virginia, Virginia and North Carlolina and then some out banks beach camping. After Thanksgiving in Jacksonville I will head down to Key West and then spend four weeks working my way to Death Valley California.
  3. Phase three will begin January 1 when I take advantage of my IKON pass to ski the mountain west. During this time I will pick up my new Bernese Mountain Dog puppy in Boise and he will travel with me
I plan on documenting my journey on YouTube. Stay Tuned

Scott

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello,

I just joined OB today and think it will be a great resource for my upcoming 12 months living overland. Beginning on my 55 birthday at the end of August, I plan a three phase journey.
  1. August 27-October 30 travel from Columbus Ohio around the Great Lakes eastward accross Canada to St. John’s Newfoundland. I will then work my way back to Columbus via Nova Scotia, New England to arrive back in Columbus for the October 30 OSU Penn State Game.
  2. I will depart Columbus the first of November taking four weeks to arrive in Jacksonville Florida for Thanksgiving with Family. Those weeks will be spent in the mountains of West Virginia, Virginia and North Carlolina and then some out banks beach camping. After Thanksgiving in Jacksonville I will head down to Key West and then spend four weeks working my way to Death Valley California.
  3. Phase three will begin January 1 when I take advantage of my IKON pass to ski the mountain west. During this time I will pick up my new Bernese Mountain Dog puppy in Boise and he will travel with me
I plan on documenting my journey on YouTube. Stay Tuned

Scott
Welcome to Overland Bound Scott
Sounds like an exciting adventure, to help you with planing and when on the trip you can use the resources available on the forum.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Ohio Valley Overland @James.Laidlaw
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Sounds like a great plan. I assume that your plans for part 1 include the required quarantine periods? We've been holding off on a long trip in Canada for a while now, and at present it looks as if it's not going to make sense for us, in terms of initial and inter-provincial quarantine periods until some time next year...

Member I

Columbus, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
McLain
Member #

Sounds like a great plan. I assume that your plans for part 1 include the required quarantine periods? We've been holding off on a long trip in Canada for a while now, and at present it looks as if it's not going to make sense for us, in terms of initial and inter-provincial quarantine periods until some time next year...
I am assuming that Canada will be open by September. If not, I will crawl up the US side of the US-Canadian Border to Northern Maine and then work down the coast through Rhode Island and then back to Columbus.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF