Rank I

Contributor III

Southeastern US
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Weber
Hi, I'm Danny but you can call me Importman
Locaiton: Eastern SC for now but in about 4 months I'll be retiring and moving to Western NC
Rig: 05 4Runner SR5. Ironman 3/2 lift sitting on TRD Pro Black Matte rims and 275/70/17 General Grabber ATx tires.
I guess my story is I love the outdoors and used to do a fair amount of rv camping. About 12 years ago I got into hiking and backpacking and loved it. That lasted for several years (hiked about 75 miles of the AT in GA, NC and Tn,), but my body had other plans. Between my age, (now 64) and rheumatoid arthritis my hiking days are pretty much over other than some really short day hikes. So in the last few years my outdoor fun has been mostly just cruising the FS roads in Western NC and Eastern Tn. And I do enjoying kayaking flat water in the mountains. And occasional car camping in the GSMNP. So I'd like to take the next step and do some overlanding.
My experience level I would say is above beginner but below expert. Between backpacking, camping, hiking and being a lifelong auto technician (now I'm a high school auto tech teacher), I feel fairly confident in my ability to stay safe in the wilderness. I think the only thing I would worry about would be that if I needed to walk out more than 5 miles or so it could be a bit of a problem.
I'm looking forward to conversing with you all and learning how much I really don't know.

Report Edit Delete

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hi, I'm Danny but you can call me Importman
Locaiton: Eastern SC for now but in about 4 months I'll be retiring and moving to Western NC
Rig: 05 4Runner SR5. Ironman 3/2 lift sitting on TRD Pro Black Matte rims and 275/70/17 General Grabber ATx tires.
I guess my story is I love the outdoors and used to do a fair amount of rv camping. About 12 years ago I got into hiking and backpacking and loved it. That lasted for several years (hiked about 75 miles of the AT in GA, NC and Tn,), but my body had other plans. Between my age, (now 64) and rheumatoid arthritis my hiking days are pretty much over other than some really short day hikes. So in the last few years my outdoor fun has been mostly just cruising the FS roads in Western NC and Eastern Tn. And I do enjoying kayaking flat water in the mountains. And occasional car camping in the GSMNP. So I'd like to take the next step and do some overlanding.
My experience level I would say is above beginner but below expert. Between backpacking, camping, hiking and being a lifelong auto technician (now I'm a high school auto tech teacher), I feel fairly confident in my ability to stay safe in the wilderness. I think the only thing I would worry about would be that if I needed to walk out more than 5 miles or so it could be a bit of a problem.
I'm looking forward to conversing with you all and learning how much I really don't know.

Report Edit Delete
Welcome, Danny!

Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Importman I'm a bit late to this game, but welcome to OB1! Western NC is a great spot, there's no shortage of good wheeling out there, plus the Uwharries if you ever feel like some thing more hardcore. Tellico is a bit out of my region, but if you fancy a challenge, may be check it out some time.

Reactions: FishinCrzy