• HTML tutorial

Keith Butler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orange County,CA
Member #

Hey Overland Bound members!
I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and I’m due for a new lift kit. My plans and style of off-roading is being able to live out of the Jeep for long weekends and a week here and there. I’m still in the process of getting the Jeep to where I want it and the next step on my list is to get a new lift. I will be putting on a roof top tent and setting up the back as my kitchen. I’m currently looking for a new lift kit for my style and was wondering if my fellow members could help me out with what kit would be the best for me?

Thank you Keith OB#11989

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I'd say if your plan is just to get it off road and camp it would work in stock form unless you just want a little more clearance. A loaded rig is best with a low center of gravity. So just enough lift to clear the tires. I know that doesn't help with brand, I don't own a jeep. Just my .02 on lifting in general. I lifted my truck 9" and it's not practical at all, wouldn't do that over again.

Reactions: Keith Butler
S

SubeeBen

Keith, I have a 2017 jku & fox 2.0 shocks. Unbelievable difference from stock & you do not need longer upper/lower control arms, drive shafts etc. I can make it places that guys have 4” lifts 35 or 37” tires & have spent around 10 to 15k on their rigs. Not necessary IMO. Have about 1k in lift shocks & swaybar disconnects & am extremely pleased. If your going to add a lot of weight you might want to get the heavier duty rated rear springs. Just my ✌Cents hope this helps & good luck with your build. Don’t forget to post the Picts of your progress.

Keith Butler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orange County,CA
Member #

Keith, I have a 2017 jku & fox 2.0 shocks. Unbelievable difference from stock & you do not need longer upper/lower control arms, drive shafts etc. I can make it places that guys have 4” lifts 35 or 37” tires & have spent around 10 to 15k on their rigs. Not necessary IMO. Have about 1k in lift shocks & swaybar disconnects & am extremely pleased. If your going to add a lot of weight you might want to get the heavier duty rated rear springs. Just my [emoji111]️Cents hope this helps & good luck with your build. Don’t forget to post the Picts of your progress.
Sweet thank you! I will be sure to post pictures

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Interesting question.... Years ago I had a TJ Rubicon and when loaded down with gear and trailer it sagged, a lot, an unforgivable amount. We bottomed out a lot on even the slightly rugged trails. I tried spacers for only one trip, finally bit the bullet and installed an Old Man Emu "Heavy" suspension kit. We no longer sagged and it restored highway steering stability when loaded down. I have the same suspension under my 80 series now OME "Heavy". Each of these suspension upgrades gave me about 2.5" of overall lift height. Don't get a "lift" kit, get a suspension upgrade that just by happenstance gives you an extra 2-3"s of lift for little less than a thousand dollars. Anything higher ends up costing you, if done correctly, about a thousand dollars for every inch thereafter. I have gone, and currently go more places than many, many of the higher lifted rigs. Good luck

kappels

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Chattanooga, TN
Member #

Interesting question.... Years ago I had a TJ Rubicon and when loaded down with gear and trailer it sagged, a lot, an unforgivable amount. We bottomed out a lot on even the slightly rugged trails. I tried spacers for only one trip, finally bit the bullet and installed an Old Man Emu "Heavy" suspension kit. We no longer sagged and it restored highway steering stability when loaded down. I have the same suspension under my 80 series now OME "Heavy". Each of these suspension upgrades gave me about 2.5" of overall lift height. Don't get a "lift" kit, get a suspension upgrade that just by happenstance gives you an extra 2-3"s of lift for little less than a thousand dollars. Anything higher ends up costing you, if done correctly, about a thousand dollars for every inch thereafter. I have gone, and currently go more places than many, many of the higher lifted rigs. Good luck
I’ve heard great things about OME suspension lifts.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I’m super happy with the OME setup on my Tacoma, I also installed expo 3”leafs in the rear to better carry weight, the AAL’s were not enough

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
whoa,,, that's a $3,000 kit.. Hmmm, guessing you are attempting to do the same as I attempted to do with 2 jeeps over the course of 12 years. Make them cruiser like. That IS a nice rig, but is it street legal? It sure wouldn't be in most states. BTW,, even the best suspensions cannot change the laws of physics. It may feel solid as a brick but it will still go over. Be careful, be safe ! peace out

PintSize

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Corpus Christi, Texas
Member #

As mentioned before OME, Fox, etc... are all great. I have a combination of larger OME springs with Bilstein 5100 shocks- and OME coils/shock kits are a really good value. Often times the fancier shocks with reservoirs do need to be rebuilt every so often and the OME or Bilstein don't. Spacer lifts will preload the shocks and reduce suspension travel- and by my experience will be a rough ride. Poly spacers have the worst ride versus a steel one- I've had both.