Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Nice shot, RJ! Where is this exactly? I would love to go there
A friend's photo of an area we hiked into many years back.. He entered it into a contest and took second place for it. Several views much like it around to enjoy. One I would suggest that is a 4wd run (dirt to rocky) is Diamond Ridge in Pittsburg, NH. Check out the foliage runs (playlist) on my YT site (link in signature) and look on the discussion page for links to the .gpx files

Safe travels and hope to catch ya on the trail sometime!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Can you post the GPX file so I can move this to the downloadable section?
You do not have my permission to log, repost or place any .gpx files that I link to into another section of this group. I've had this conversation with both regional and national. I explained how I would do so and yet to see or hear that it has been put into place as of yet. I was told it will at some point. You wish to learn more, PM me.

To all fellow members: I will pass links to .gpx files that I find or create, but only if I have express permission to do so. You may contact me directly through PM and request an area of NH and I will explain how it is done. There is no monetary gain and I will not allow another to gain from (and now a few others) efforts. My files of the state are fairly extensive and much yet to be explored and reported on.
I wish what I have to be used by those that are involved with improving the list and it remains free.

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
You do not have my permission to log, repost or place any .gpx files that I link to into another section of this group. I've had this conversation with both regional and national. I explained how I would do so and yet to see or hear that it has been put into place as of yet. I was told it will at some point. You wish to learn more, PM me.

To all fellow members: I will pass links to .gpx files that I find or create, but only if I have express permission to do so. You may contact me directly through PM and request an area of NH and I will explain how it is done. There is no monetary gain and I will not allow another to gain from (and now a few others) efforts. My files of the state are fairly extensive and much yet to be explored and reported on.
I wish what I have to be used by those that are involved with improving the list and it remains free.

Is this route not listed to be shared? Why the "You do not have my permission to log, repost or place any .gpx files that I link to into another section of this group"? Am I missing something?
If not to be shared then we can remove the post no problem or move it to personal trips or?

LMK how I can help....

Jim

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Is this route not listed to be shared? Why the "You do not have my permission to log, repost or place any .gpx files that I link to into another section of this group"? Am I missing something?
If not to be shared then we can remove the post no problem or move it to personal trips or?

LMK how I can help....

Jim
In the PM only. There is no reason to pollute any conversation beyond... Reason I requested response in PM. Which I see I also have a PM from you. I wish you had done that alone as requested. We will talk there.

Rad4

Rank I

Contributor II

Derry, Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Russell
Hi All,

If you are like me and live in the often congested areas of the northeast, or more specifically New England Region of the US, you may find it difficult to find places to overland, wheel, or camp. If you live in or close enough to NH you may already know about or have heard of Class VI Roads. A Class VI Road is defined as a road or highway that has not been maintained by the State of New Hampshire or municipality in at least the past 5 years. They must also remain accessible to the public. Sometimes (not always) these roads can lead to some great off road adventures if you know where they are or how to find them, which I am starting to figure out.

I recently stumbled upon a list of NH Class VI roads in my searchings of the inter webs for places to take my truck wheeling or overlanding. The list is a .pdf document that someone shared in a forum through Drop Box. I’ve been using that file along with Gaia GPS to conduct map reconnaissance to find roads might look like promising places to go check out. It always feels like a gamble when trying to figure out if these roads are still in fact on public land, which is also where Gaia GPS comes in handy. One layer that comes with the subscription version of Gaia that I have found very useful is the private lands layer, which helps to determine where private and public land boundaries are. I am finding that most of these potential trails/roads that I have mapped out so far are in fact on public land. If you are interested in checking out the list for yourself it is available at this link: Adobe Acrobat or Class6RoadsNH.pdf

I currently reside just over the boarder in Massachusetts close to the city of Nashua, NH. I am currently mapping roads in my area and working my way out from there. If you would like to join in the fun by helping me find a way to share these roads and routes or even link up and go out to check out some of these places, definitely let me know! Happy trails!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

@Rad4 : I took the time and added that list to Gaia and have explored out many of those roads. I can say that nearly 1/2 of those are either absorbed by land-owners, gated or over grown to an extent of nonexistent. Beware as you travel out and use the list. The State has taken a hands-off approach to class VI roads.

I do continued to explore NH and markup my map. As you do the same we should talk and compare notes. I've worked mostly the east of RT93 and north of RT101. I'm out of Auburn and that's my usual route north. I have explored some west of RT93 and north of Concord.

Once Mud Season ends (and gates open up), watch for some meetups/runs in NH.

tszalkowski

Rank I

Contributor II

Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Szalkowski
Hi All,

If you are like me and live in the often congested areas of the northeast, or more specifically New England Region of the US, you may find it difficult to find places to overland, wheel, or camp. If you live in or close enough to NH you may already know about or have heard of Class VI Roads. A Class VI Road is defined as a road or highway that has not been maintained by the State of New Hampshire or municipality in at least the past 5 years. They must also remain accessible to the public. Sometimes (not always) these roads can lead to some great off road adventures if you know where they are or how to find them, which I am starting to figure out.

I recently stumbled upon a list of NH Class VI roads in my searchings of the inter webs for places to take my truck wheeling or overlanding. The list is a .pdf document that someone shared in a forum through Drop Box. I’ve been using that file along with Gaia GPS to conduct map reconnaissance to find roads might look like promising places to go check out. It always feels like a gamble when trying to figure out if these roads are still in fact on public land, which is also where Gaia GPS comes in handy. One layer that comes with the subscription version of Gaia that I have found very useful is the private lands layer, which helps to determine where private and public land boundaries are. I am finding that most of these potential trails/roads that I have mapped out so far are in fact on public land. If you are interested in checking out the list for yourself it is available at this link: Adobe Acrobat or Class6RoadsNH.pdf

I currently reside just over the boarder in Massachusetts close to the city of Nashua, NH. I am currently mapping roads in my area and working my way out from there. If you would like to join in the fun by helping me find a way to share these roads and routes or even link up and go out to check out some of these places, definitely let me know! Happy trails!
Hello,

I am new to overlanding and also looking for good places to practice at home before heading to bigger trails out west. I live in Southern NH too and it would be great to meet up with more people around here. I recently signed up for a ride with Main Line Overland, they are located in Bow and pull together various events.