Pathfinder III

Montgomery County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Oliphant
Member #

Hey guys.

I’m planning a weekend trip in late September not sure what weekend yet. I’m new to the south western Virginia area and I’m looking for a nice easily trail to drive and camp. My rig is not built up yet as I got a new one recently so not wanting to get into anything serious but I wanna see what she can do stock. We are based out of Christiansburg va. Looking for any advice on destinations and trail to hit. Thanks for are your help!!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Consider mentioning some location info in your thread title. It may attract more locals with the knowledge you need.

Reactions: Zane&kait

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I have a few things planned out on WV/VA border, but I'd recommend putting in what you're driving in detail. Make & Model are helpful. Do you have 4WD, AWD or 2WD? Any stock lockers or other off-road features. Ground clearance if you know the number. The more info we have the better we can suggest for you.

Last edited:

Zane&kait

Rank III

Pathfinder III

Montgomery County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Oliphant
Member #

Did not even think about giving insight on what I have thanks for the help.

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland edition 4wd. It has the same air off road suspension as the trail hawks which can give 3inches over stock ride height which gives me a total of about 12inches of clearance. Nothing crazy. Ive had many 4x4 suvs/trucks but never one with all the gadgets like this one. It does have 4wd low and a torque management system as well as terrain options. I do still have street tires on it (saving for new wheels and off road tires). So I’d like to stay away from large rocks and thick mud. I currently live in christiansburg va which is right near Virginia Tech College. Hope this helps so anyone around the Roanoke Blacksburg area could give some ideas. Thanks again.

Attachments

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Ok yeah this helps a ton. So truthfully you have a very capable stock rig. Honestly your weakest link are the street tires. You will have no issues in standard conditions, wet conditions are going to change things on dirt. I would recommend researching the National Forests out near you. I myself have looked into George Washington, Jefferson & Monongahela National Forest. They all seem to be fairly close to you. National Forests are usually a good place to start as they usually give you varying degrees of difficulty but the majority are not too crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zane&kait