Need proper info ASAP re-Houston.

• HTML tutorial

Ron Clark

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Just got a request to get me, my truck and my rescue gear to Houston. I have a total of 9" of lift and 35s. I can cross 4 feet of water without risking my intake. My concern is that I have not moved my breathers yet. How big of an issue will this be?

02 Ford Excursion 7.3.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Breathers are typically located much lower than the intake. Sustained submersion of the axles will suck in water eventually if the breathers are not relocated higher. Electronics are another thing to consider. The ecu and other sensitive electronics can be located in very low areas and water damage would be catastrophic. Also, beware of hidden washouts where roads used to be. Your best bet would be to find someone with a skiff or Jon boat and provide assistance that way (much safer than driving and needing rescued yourself). Just my opinion though.

Reactions: Rod

Ron Clark

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Electronics are not an issue. They were already taken care of when my red and blues were installed. They don't want me for boat work. They want me for search and security patrol. My rig is built for SAR. Plus I have all the tech goodies like NODS and Thermal Imaging. Really concerned about being in two to three feet of water for days on end. Worried I am going to suck in water.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Electronics are not an issue. They were already taken care of when my red and blues were installed. They don't want me for boat work. They want me for search and security patrol. My rig is built for SAR. Plus I have all the tech goodies like NODS and Thermal Imaging. Really concerned about being in two to three feet of water for days on end. Worried I am going to suck in water.
You probably will get some water in there. Just change your axle fluid when you get home.

Sent from my VS985 4G using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Rod and Zargon

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Don't forget the transmission likely has a breather somewhere also.

Good luck and be careful

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

From what I understand, while it won't be ideal, some water in the diffs, transfer case, and transmission won't be too much of an issue for slow speed, just as soon as you are on dry land flush all the diffs and what not. The only thing is that if you have a manual transmission, the clutch can get water on the faces when shifting which can destroy the clutch, so hopefully you have an auto

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

It wouldn't become an issue I don't think until you get out of the water. Take tools and diff/transfer case fluid with you and maybe even transmission fluid. Plan a change of all asap upon getting out of the water. You'll be fine.

You could get your intake higher using a jury rig if absolutely needed.

Reactions: Zargon

Ron Clark

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Did not end up going. It was a really hard choice to make. Now, looking at what is happening to a lot of responders down there, I am glad I did not go.

Main reason was fuel. I currently get 9 miles a gallon. It would have been $1000 to get there and back. Then there is a shortage of fuel in the area. FOBs are only providing fuel for "official" rescue vehicles. I would have been out of gas and just sitting not able to get home.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
We did a run, with supplies. Had to carry sufficient fuel to get in and out of the area. Most people are in good spirits. We are Texans after all.

FEMA was trying to get local law enforcement to order non governmental volunteers out of the impacted area. The reason they gave, was that they where not trained for this work. The local authorities told them to go to hell. We are Texans, and we take care of of our own. FEMA had to put up with all the non sanctioned rescuers, saving lives.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I haven't gone yet but will in the coming weeks and months for the clean up.

If anyone heads down there, take mosquito netting. They are the size of small hummingbirds and think deet is a type of bbq sauce.

Reactions: Jeff Graham

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Hey Ron, I am curious. Do you belong to a SAR organization or have you let some organizations know of your desire to help.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Ron Clark

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hey Ron, I am curious. Do you belong to a SAR organization or have you let some organizations know of your desire to help.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
I spent six years as an LEO air support SAR pilot. Since my stroke I can no longer command a chopper but the folks I use to work for know what I am up to. So yes I just get calls. I am currently looking over a couple options in the area that are a little more active. I was SAR certified through the Sheriffs Office. The only creds that I do not have are swift water and cave. I can even do high angle work.

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Sorry to hear about your stroke. Most pilots I know miss it when they have to stop flying. Congratulations and thanks for the service you did put in. I have a friend who did high angle work with the USCG. Good Luck.