York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I’m going to try to explain this situation as best as I can. I have the ARB twin. It runs my airbags and separately a hose for my tires and and to pressurize my shower.

The outlet for filling tires/pressurizing shower is working fine.

But when I try to fill the bags it doesn’t come on.

Friday afternoon, after work, I let the air out to lower the vehicle to hook up to the trailer. Hit the switch to fill back up and it did nothing. Checked everything and tried using the hose for the tires and it worked. I checked all fuses and they’re good. I tested the switch. It was good. I ordered a new one anyway just bc i was frustrated. It will let air out of the bags but not fill. So the switch works in the third position but not the first. Or however you want to describe that, it’s a 3 way rocker. Up for pressure, middle off, down for depressurization.

When this thing was installed the guy told me that there is an internal pressure switch. The very same thing happened after it was first installed and he “claimed” that’s what it was. He didn’t tell me what he did. So I’m at a loss. I don’t want to deal with that particular shop again because they have really done some sketch work. Air lines stretched, routing of wires to the battery stretched across and hooked on the alternator side. They’re just slack. I’m afraid they’ll just take shortcuts if I take it back and I’ll end up with the same problem again.

If anyone has any idea or has experienced a similar issue, please leave some feedback. It’s very frustrating and I can’t ride around with the air completely out of the bags.

Thank you.

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

While I’m not there to understand or see what they did, I do know the internal pressure switch does go bad on these. It was recommended to me to keep an extra one on hand from a peer.

If you’re able to check your 3 way switch by pulling it out and jumping the wires that will tell you if it’s something there?

I have also seen some people adding a chuck inline somewhere so when a compressor goes down, they are able to air up from someone else’s, and at least manage home.

Good luck! Let us know what you find out!

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Hey, Jackson!
I don't have experiance with air bags, but I can help you trace it if it is an electrical issue. I'll PM you my contact...

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Hopefully you have someone to help you trace it out. If you were out here I would help you with it. My career has been automotive electrical and I have done many custom air installs.

Based on what you said there are a few things that pop up. First you have to understand, you have a custom install. That means your wiring, switch's and relays are someone's version of what works, installed apparently by someone who knows little. I say this because it was not a factory install but something "Made" to fit your application. Because of this, anyone advising you without actually seeing it, is only guessing, including myself.

When you find the problem you need to make sure it's not just a faulty part but, the part is actually designed for what its being used for. Even if you bought a complete kit, that doesn't mean it was designed properly.

You mentioned a pressure switch being faulty in the beginning. "IF" the switch cant handle the load (power) the compressor draws, you will either burn it out or wear it out faster. I say this based on what you were told about the pressure switch. That right there is where I would start. Next would be, is the circuit designed correctly? Its always best to have the pressure switch control a relay. The relay controls the compressor. If its wired with a relay, is the relay strong enough? If you find a burned out relay, is it the correct rating? People like to use the small (1" square) relays. These are fine but don't like compressors even though their rated for it. I have upgraded quite a few of those over the years.

You mentioned a switch to inflate and deflate. But you didn't say if its the same switch that controls the compressor when you fill tires. The inflate switch as well as the tire fill switch (if their not the same) should be controlling the same relay. If you have control of inflate/deflate you have air valves somewhere. These can be either electrical or mechanical. If their electrical, again the switch needs to be able to handle this.

This may seem overwhelming but it actually is simple. Almost all of it can be tested with a test light. Hopefully @Eventyr_jt can help you out. If I can see pictures of things you dont understand or a diagram from who made your kit, I may be able to point at things.

Reactions: Carnage_95YJ

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I would 100% start w/ the pressure switch. Mine failed while I was on a beach in the middle of nowhere and had to limp miles to a compressor at 15 psi. It happened when using my 4 tire inflator. Either way, the pressure switch is easy to get to and cheap to buy. I actually have one if you need it shipped in a pinch.

LanderGoat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Glendale, CA, USA
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Arteaga
Member #

The easiest thing to check is the connection to the button/switch you are using to turn on your airbags… Sometimes the wires just back off enough to lose contact… That would be my first place to check