Danbury, CT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
SmoothOperators
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC10IM
Hey, myself in a 21' Taco and a friend on an adventure bike want to plan to tackle the NE BDR route. Either in 3 parts, or, as I'd prefer, as one 10 day trip next year. We would likely try to tackle all segments together sometime in the summer/fall as the weather and trails will be a bit more forgiving. Id really like to have more trucks in the convoy as recovery is an issue with just 1 bike and 1 truck, and some of the roads could be a challenge since this was really designed as an adventure bike route. My friend has completed 2/3 of it on his bike and assures me it shouldn't be an issue in a high clearance 4x4. We still have a lot of planning but was curious if anyone is interested in joining us. As of now, dates are totally flexible and all are welcome - couples, singles, multi-vehicle. I don't mind being the planner but hope others in this area with so little off-roading may be interested in some adventure. If you are in the northeast, or if you are even willing to drive out to join - drop a message! Happy to include others in the planning - if you have never heard of Butler or the BDR, here is a link!

Pixelsaurus

Rank V

Advocate III

Maryland, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Butcher
Member #

I'll throw my hat in as interested. It has been a challenge to find groups to go out with. I would be a GX 460.

SpookyII

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Danbury, CT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
SmoothOperators
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC10IM
I'll throw my hat in as interested. It has been a challenge to find groups to go out with. I would be a GX 460.
Too cool. What area are you located in? We are in Eastern CT, so we may do single day or weekend trial runs of some sections first. Probably the Massachusetts section. Would be willing to do the NY section first if thats closer to you for meeting up.

akdigital3d

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Erdenheim, PA, USA
First Name
Adrien
Last Name
AKdigital
Hey all. I'd be interested in joining. I'm new a Jeep Wrangler owner (and adventure motorcyclist) from the Philly area. I'm actually taking the Jeep up to VT this month to visit friends and was planning to scope out some of the VT and MA sections for a future motorcycle ride. Unfortuately I won't have enough time to drive too much of it on this trip. I'd love to tackle this route in the Jeep with a group in the future. Keep me in the loop.

And for what it's worth, I've ridden a good amount of the Mid Atlantic BDR in PA on the motorcycle. Actually the TransPA Trail GPS from ADVrider but it has a lot of overlap with the BDR. It's very scenic and not particularly technical.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I've done sections in NH (section 6) and only started into Maine (section 7). I'll recommend either Osceola Vista or Barnes Field as group camping. Both are White Mountain NF campgrounds. If I'm around when you come through NH, I may join you folks and explore into section 7 with ya's!

joseph_050795

Rank III

Member I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
vivinetto
Member #

Hey everyone, I live near hancock Ny and was wondering if doing sections 1 and 2 are doable in a Jeep. love watching the YouTube

SpookyII

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Danbury, CT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
SmoothOperators
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC10IM
Hey everyone. Just an update - sorry its been a while - home renovation has soaked up a lot of time and money. I have decided I will be tackling 2 sections at a time over the next few months to ensure its driveable in 4x4, staying in hotels so I can focus on the driving (and stay out of the cold). If all goes well I will plan to tackle both the NEBDR and MABDR in their entirety next summer over the course of 2-3 weeks. I will be doing sections 1 & 2 of the NEBDR this November 14-16 and invite anyone to join me (and my lady friend) on the trails. We will depart from the trail start in Hancock at around 10 on Tuesday Nov 14, and stay in Andes that night, and take section 2 on the 15th. We have a spare day on the 16th in case the going is slow, or we are having too much fun. In any case, Ill report back with trail conditions. Ill be in a 21 Taco with 31" All Terrains and an OME BP51 suspension, so if I can do it, anyone can lol.

• Love
Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Hey everyone. Just an update - sorry its been a while - home renovation has soaked up a lot of time and money. I have decided I will be tackling 2 sections at a time over the next few months to ensure its driveable in 4x4, staying in hotels so I can focus on the driving (and stay out of the cold). If all goes well I will plan to tackle both the NEBDR and MABDR in their entirety next summer over the course of 2-3 weeks. I will be doing sections 1 & 2 of the NEBDR this November 14-16 and invite anyone to join me (and my lady friend) on the trails. We will depart from the trail start in Hancock at around 10 on Tuesday Nov 14, and stay in Andes that night, and take section 2 on the 15th. We have a spare day on the 16th in case the going is slow, or we are having too much fun. In any case, Ill report back with trail conditions. Ill be in a 21 Taco with 31" All Terrains and an OME BP51 suspension, so if I can do it, anyone can lol.
That is how I scout campsites and drivable trails. Spend the night in a Motel with a pool so the wife and kids are interested in tagging along and there is very little chance of finding campsites occupied.

Reactions: SpookyII

SpookyII

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Danbury, CT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
SmoothOperators
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC10IM
That is how I scout campsites and drivable trails. Spend the night in a Motel with a pool so the wife and kids are interested in tagging along and there is very little chance of finding campsites occupied.
Yeah, since I do most of my travel alone (or with someone inexperienced) It can be a pain both scouting routes, AND finding/setting up camp. I figure this way I get out for a few days at a time and do my homework -set myself up for success later.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I am following this but chances of me being able to go were much greater when I thought it was the Nebraska BDR LOL I am in Texas so this would be a long drive to get started.

• Haha
Reactions: SpookyII

SpookyII

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Danbury, CT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
SmoothOperators
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC10IM
Update: So I did sections 1 & 2 the last two days and just got home. As of now the seasonal gates are all open, and I was able to handle both sections in the truck. I will say there is a 4 mile portion of Section 1 called River Rd that was a bit of a white knuckle ride. Tight trails along sheer drops combined with loose gravel, rocks, and washouts made it a bit harrowing for a novice like me. The rest of the trails were well maintained but still fun. Combined, the sections were about 60% gravel. On bikes, I dont doubt you can make each section in a few hours, but it was slow-going in the tacoma - about 6 hours of driving section 1, and 7-8 in section 2. We didn't start very early, but with the sun setting at 4:45, I felt rushed each day. Some highlights were the distillery and brewery in Calicoon, the Andes Hotel for overnight, a detour to Phoenicia, the trout hatchery, and downtown Hunter. Some beautiful views of course. Ill try to upload some photos later - planning sections 3-4 for the spring!

Kevin in Trees

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Farmington, NY, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Holtz
Member #

Hey Chris- just stumbled on the thread, I'm on a build project myself and can sympathize! I'll keep an eye out for future updates and would be game for spending some time on the NEBDR. IS the River road you're talking about on the PA side along the Delaware River? The BDR networks are a great jumping off point with a lot of the route planning and research done already. I took both of my kids out for fairly good chunk of the MABDR this past summer. This spring we are heading to the SW (Arizona maybe southern Utah). I have my list of trails, sites etc., but also downloaded the AZBDR route and ordered a hard copy of the map for backup.

PaulMitchell

Rank 0

Contributor I

Japan
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Mitchell
Hey there! Planning an adventure on the NE BDR route sounds like an exciting endeavor! Adding more trucks to the convoy definitely sounds like a smart idea for added safety and support, especially considering the challenging terrain. It's great to hear that your friend has experience on similar routes and is confident in tackling it with a high clearance 4x4.

As for adding マンガ enthusiasts to the mix, it could add an extra layer of fun and camaraderie to the journey. Exploring new trails and sharing the experience with fellow enthusiasts is always a blast. Flexibility with dates is key, and it's fantastic that you're open to accommodating different schedules.

Count me in as someone interested in joining the planning process! While I may not be in the northeast, I'm willing to make the trip for an adventure like this. Feel free to share the link to Butler or the BDR for those who may be new to the concept. Looking forward to hearing more details and getting involved in the planning!

joseph_050795

Rank III

Member I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
vivinetto
Member #

Hey Paul sound great just picked up a jeep doing some work on it and looking forward to hook up with some people to do the nebdr in March

SpookyII

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Danbury, CT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
SmoothOperators
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC10IM
Hey folks, my friend, (in a KTM Dualsport), and myself in the taco will be tackling the full length of the NEBDR starting with section 8 in Maine on Sept 6th, and working our way in reverse ending with section 1 in NY between Sept 15th and 17th. We have collectively ridden almost every section of the NEBDR in pieces and are excited to ride the whole thing without interruption. So far we have the first few days planned with stops for things like a sunrise drive up mt washington, and visits at a other cool spots, but nothing is set in stone yet other than the dates. If you've ever planned a longer trip you know picking and choosing side journeys are half the fun, so we are taking the process slow. We will be bringing film equipment and intend to film the trip for a youtube series. Once we have the full itinerary planned, I will put it here, and anyone that wants to join us for a day segment or whatever parts are welcome to. We will be doing a combination of hotels and camping when appropriate.

Reactions: wigsajumper

FourInTheTacoOB19

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Billerica, MA, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Thanks for the link to the BDR, we're in MA, and venture up to NH frequently, looking to get on some backcountry trails with the fam to actually overland.
Any others interested, hit me up, funner in numbers!

Kevin in Trees

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Farmington, NY, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Holtz
Member #

Is the NE BDR accessible by full-size truck?
I've driven most o the NH portion (a bit into Maine) in my F150.
I'm also running a full size and have done parts of a few BDRs. Never a major issue. A few narrow brushy areas. Watch for the different ratings, "expert" or "easier" routes. The harder routes that I've run are still very doable, just slower progress.