My XJ Trailer project

• HTML tutorial

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

So I wanted to build my own camp trailer. My hope is to not limit it to just a home base and hope I can run easy to moderate trails with it. I has been a slow going but I am pretty happy with my progress so far.

Just a little back round on how and why I decided on this route;
First of all my son is the reason I fell in love with wheeling. When he turned 15 we offered (as we did with all our kids) to purchase a used vehicle for his first car. He wanted a XJ??? Not exactly the car I thought he would go for? We bought him a 94 XJ Sport. Well after we went camping and wheeled it with my son-in-law (and his Rubicon) I was hooked!!! Anyways a couple of years later as my son set his sights on college I figured I had better buy my self a rig. Found a decent 2 dr XJ for myself. Then my son's XJ had the misfortune of cracking the frame near the steering box. Since I did not want to do the repair necessary to make it safe again. We decided to buy him another XJ to replace it and use the 94 for my project. A lot of good came out of that XJ, I threw the axles under my rig to gain gearing and the stronger 8.25 Chrysler axle. We used the body to start my project.

I really don't have the time to post all of the details of this build but I have documented much of it on a site I frequent Cherokee Talk and if you are interested in more detail you can go to it if you like;
http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f26/xj-camper-build-54809/
Any ways here are just a few photos I have to give you an idea of what has transpired so far:
XJ Camper 001.jpg DSCN0076 (1024x768).jpg DSCN0078 (1024x768).jpg DSCN0081 (1024x768).jpg DSCN0083 (1024x768).jpg DSCN2118 (1024x768).jpg DSCN2119 (1024x768).jpg DSCN2122 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Thanks!
I wished I did not have so many things going I can't wait to have it done. But everything is a little more complicated and I want it to come out right. Money is a big factor too. I am looking to fab a dual carrier with the tire on one side and water, propane and gas on the other. I also feel that with the tire 3/4 ways back, I can build a receivers (3)) one for bicycles in the middle. I also plan on using the two other receivers so I can build a solid way to make a dual motorcycle carrier. So things take more thought before I proceed.