My M1102 3/4 ton Overland camper build

• HTML tutorial

Jon Foerster

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

My M1102 build.. Sorry for the pics not being in cronilogical order. Please feel free to leave comments or input. I‘ve tried to make use of all spaces as best I can. the trailer is as wide as my Jeep fender to fender. So it‘s hard to do anything on the sides. Still a work in progress. At this point I‘m about to do a final paint job. Finally had some heavy rains and was able to find all the leaks.... Yes.. I had some. Better to over seal next time around.,. So I went and sealed everything.. Hope it holds up better.
A little background on me. I‘ve owned boats big & small. A Big Horn 5th wheel. I‘ve always done the improvements and worked on the maintenance and equipment myself. At least for the most part.. So I‘m pretty handy. Probably just enough to cost me too much money...LOL
At this point I‘m at about $4500.00 building this Overland camper..
I had originally was going to go with the typical trailer w/ tent on top. After pricing out the tents and since I was going to do power & water anyhow I decided to build my own Overland Camper. After watching some YouTube and getting some neat ideas I got the ball rolling. I started with the main idea to keep the profile as tall as my Jeep to have less wind drag. But also not to be too top heavy. My girlfriend was kind of my drive....LOL... She wanted a matress.. So a camper build became the quest. And I figured I could easily add a tent on top afterwords. I had already bought an all aluminum roof rack that I had found on Craiglist “CL” for $180.00. This wound up being the frame of my build. HD & light. Also, I found the M1102 Trailer on CL as well. Spend $1100. Already was wired 12V & was ready to go. I guess I should just go ahead and list all the companants/parts that I’ve used.

LIST
M1102 trailer
Aluminum roof rack
GM 16” aluminum factory wheels w/ 35” GY AT tires
2” Bull nose hitch, swapped from Pintle hitch
2” reciever & basket on the rear.
3/4” plywood for exterior & roof
RV Teardrop rear door & RV windows 48”
2 deep cycle Marine batteries
200 watt solar panel system w/ 1000 watt inverter
Shore power to run a/c.
23 gallon water tank w/ 3 gpm 12v marine pump.
Large Full size Memory foam matress.
R5 3/4” insulation board
Tankless water heater w/ shower set up
5 gallon gas tank
Marine grade canvas to snap on the windows to act as curtains, RV insulation board between window & canvas to help w/ Hot & Cold
Fantastic 1250 reversible fan “ Bad ass investment” Really moves the air through the camper
LED lighting inside and out.
2 awnings. 8’ for the side & 5’ For the rear for the entry area

So far the weight is pretty well distributed. I’m going to get it weighed soon. Before the build started the trailer is supposed to be 14oo lbs. It’s 97% aluminum. The hitch, axle & wheel hubs are the only thing that are steel. I’m hoping to be under 2200 lbs finished. I can barely lift the tongue, so I’m guessing it’s 2-300 lbs tongue weight.

I will update ASAP with any updates. Feel free to ask away or input..

Jon

145E3452-D398-4F69-9F95-8408482DEFB5.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited: