Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Somewhere along the line my dad acquired a Korean War era Mermite Insulated Food Container, or "Hot A's" for the vets. It's been in his possession a while and he sent it up to me. Example of how it used to look:

image (26).jpg

Basically you would put hot or cold water in the bottom, hot or cold food in the inserts and lock it up. Would hold temp for at least a little white, though I've never seen an actual test on one of these. Anyway, long story short I had my Jeep Gladiator bed replaced and while it was getting painted I asked if they could color match the cooler. Then all I had to do was clean and coat the inside with white Flex Seal and it's good as new.

1214201005b_HDR.jpg20231024_235009.jpg
20231024_235034.jpg

For what it is, it came out great. You can find these for a decent price and less beat up than mine. I think I'll probably do some sort of icepack in the bottom and stack beer in it, as it's not too spacious for food etc. But for some camping, it'll do well.

sleak

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Helena, MT
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Leak
Member #

Service Branch
Army
They work fairly well; I used them as an Army cook in the early 80s. They kept the food hot for the ride from the mess hall to the firing range, etc., at lunchtime.