MWO - M416 trailer build

• HTML tutorial

rustED

Rank 0

Traveler I

Here's a few links to some online trailer suppliers you can check out too, if I remember correctly I think I bought my axel through etrailer.com.

I'm thinking you might have to run a wheel adapters to get the matching 5x150mm your looking for. I lucked out on mine, 6x5.5" is fairly common. Something you might take into consideration is the shipping. An axel being fairly large and heavy can be costly to ship, I can't remember what I paid for mine 4yrs ago but if I were to do it again I'd just buy the spindles and hubs/bearings and source the axel tube from a local steel supplier, then you can make the axel width whatever you need. I would have also used square spindles, would have made it easy to build an independent trailing arm suspension!
Good luck, here's a few links:

http://abctrailerparts.com/axles.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs-and-Drums/Dexter/84546UC3.html

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/ProductsServices/Products.aspx

Last edited:

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Here's a few links to some online trailer suppliers you can check out too, if I remember correctly I think I bought my axel through etrailer.com.

I'm thinking you might have to run a wheel adapters to get the matching 5x150mm your looking for. I lucked out on mine, 6x5.5" is fairly common. Something you might take into consideration is the shipping. An axel being fairly large and heavy can be costly to ship, I can't remember what I paid for mine 4yrs ago but if I were to do it again I'd just buy the spindles and hubs/bearings and source the axel tube from a local steel supplier, then you can make the axel width whatever you need. I would have also used square spindles, would have made it easy to build an independent trailing arm suspension!
Good luck, here's a few links:

http://abctrailerparts.com/axles.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs-and-Drums/Dexter/84546UC3.html

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/ProductsServices/Products.aspx
@rustED thanks! Yeah, i've been buying those guys...just waiting for Monday to role around to give them a call. The problem, like you mentioned, is finding the 5x150 bolt pattern. In my thinking, if I'm going to have to run adapters/spacers either way, then I might just repack the hubs on my stock axle for this trip and replace the axle at a later date. We'll see what they have to say when I call.

Reactions: rustED

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what your reasons for wanting to replace the axel were? If you didn't need to swap the axel, I stumbled across a thread that has adapters listed to fit the tundra 5x150mm bolt pattern on the stock M416 axel, i think they were around $100-$110
Here's a link in case you're interested:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/156706-2015-Tundra-wheels-on-M416
If you look at the thread, you might notice I posted a link for the adapters ;) This is the route i'm leaning towards to get me on the road for this trip. In the long run a new axle will be optimal. Something from Dexter will give me a modern design and the ability to pick up bearings/parts from most auto stores and trailer companies across the states.

E

expeditionnorth

lots of excellent posts on expo about the proper axle width etc you need for a M416

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

lots of excellent posts on expo about the proper axle width etc you need for a M416
Sadly, there are no axles out there to meet my hub requirements. For the time being i'm going to run the stock military axle with wheel adapters. Next spring I'll put a new Dexter axle in 6x.5.5 to match our 4Runner and then run wheel adapters on it for the Tundra.

Reactions: expeditionnorth
E

expeditionnorth

Sadly, there are no axles out there to meet my hub requirements. For the time being i'm going to run the stock military axle with wheel adapters. Next spring I'll put a new Dexter axle in 6x.5.5 to match our 4Runner and then run wheel adapters on it for the Tundra.
I wanted the same adapters for my yukon
called several hub adapter manufacturers & was told basically theres not enough metal in the hub area with the CJ series hub to safely make any up

so if you find an axle keep me in the loop for part # etc

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Well, this thread didn't start out as a build thread, but we might as well make it into one.

I spent about a week over the last month putting some work into the M416 to get it road ready for our upcoming labor day Red River Gorge trip.

A quick list of most of the things we did to this:
  • We got the axle loosened up, but had to remove the passenger side brake system as it was getting caught which was causing lockup.
  • Installed the wheel adapters converting 5x5.5 to 5x150mm to match my Tundra rims.
  • Built all new fenders with side steps. The original fender were no longer going to fit over the used oversized 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

• Built rock guard housings for the tail lights.

• Painted the tub with PPG Fast Dry 35 industrial enamel.
  • Painted the frame and fenders with Magnet Paints Chassis Saver and finished coated in Rustoleums Bed Liner.
  • Installed flat sheet metal sub floor over existing floor.

Finished product (or at least phase 1)

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Your image links are bad. I am assuming you can only see them when logged into your google account. FYI

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Your image links are bad. I am assuming you can only see them when logged into your google account. FYI
It has something to do with Cody's Google account, as I can't see his photos here or on other forums he posts on. Same with some other users linking to Google hosted images. I'm on Safari on a Mac and an iPad. Cody says it works for him on Chrome when he's not logged in, but then Chrome is a Google browser.

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Yeah its odd... Ive only had a few people say they can't see my Google photos. Primarily @Steve and this forum in general. I have no issues with Google photos on my forums. I'll just have to stop sharing photos on this forum and keep it to good old chit chat.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'll just have to stop sharing photos on this forum and keep it to good old chit chat.
No, don't do that. Most folks can see the images, so please keep sharing.

BTW, I can see the photos on your Facebook group and your blog just fine. And you're not the only person on this forum that has Google images not showing. So maybe it has something to do with ZenForo and Google together.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I would try a different photo hosting service like Flickr.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

If you want to share your images out of google, you have to go in and get a "public" url on every image you want to share, and THEN "open in a new window/tab" and copy that URL.

You can test to see if it works by using "incognito mode". I use google for my image hosting. It's a pain sometimes, but that's what you trade off for everything being hidden by default.

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

If you want to share your images out of google, you have to go in and get a "public" url on every image you want to share, and THEN "open in a new window/tab" and copy that URL.

You can test to see if it works by using "incognito mode". I use google for my image hosting. It's a pain sometimes, but that's what you trade off for everything being hidden by default.
This is the method being used currently. That's how I use Google Photos on all forums.