MT Ford Tremor Review - better than ZR2?

• HTML tutorial

SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor First Test: One Tough Truck (motortrend.com)

"What really matters here is those specs whoop the Colorado ZR2 up and down the trail. The Chevy has 8.9 inches of ground clearance and approach, breakover, and departure angles of 25.3 degrees, 23.5 degrees, and 23.5 degrees. On the other hand, the ZR2 comes with front and rear axle lockers—the Ranger Tremor only gets a rear locker—and incredible Multimatic DSSV shocks, so we're not going to make a call on which is the better off-road truck until we do a proper comparison."

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
So add a front locker. It's not hard to pet an axle shops dog, for a couple hours. Shocks are a consumable item. The sooner you roast them, the sooner you get to enjoy Kings or Fox's.

I parked next to a black one today. Looked really nice with the grey trim pieces.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

2021 Ford Ranger Tremor First Test: One Tough Truck (motortrend.com)

"What really matters here is those specs whoop the Colorado ZR2 up and down the trail. The Chevy has 8.9 inches of ground clearance and approach, breakover, and departure angles of 25.3 degrees, 23.5 degrees, and 23.5 degrees. On the other hand, the ZR2 comes with front and rear axle lockers—the Ranger Tremor only gets a rear locker—and incredible Multimatic DSSV shocks, so we're not going to make a call on which is the better off-road truck until we do a proper comparison."
Might want to edit the title to include "Ranger" as there is also a Tremor Super Duty. As MT pointed out, you're only talking ~2 degrees better on most of those angles. I'll give up 2 degrees (that is easily gained in the aftermarket with other bumper options, lifts, wheels/tires, etc.) for a real locker and the DSSV shocks.

So add a front locker. It's not hard to pet an axle shops dog, for a couple hours. Shocks are a consumable item. The sooner you roast them, the sooner you get to enjoy Kings or Fox's.

I parked next to a black one today. Looked really nice with the grey trim pieces.
Tremor comes with FOX installed. Up here anyways.
That's not a regional thing, it's part of the Tremor package.

-TJ

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Might want to edit the title to include "Ranger" as there is also a Tremor Super Duty. As MT pointed out, you're only talking ~2 degrees better on most of those angles. I'll give up 2 degrees (that is easily gained in the aftermarket with other bumper options, lifts, wheels/tires, etc.) for a real locker and the DSSV shocks.

That's not a regional thing, it's part of the Tremor package.

-TJ
That's what I thought too. He mentioned swapping out to fox shocks, So I was second guessing that they were only available here.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Also comparing a mid size truck with a full size they are gonna handle different both on and off road. Diffent weights, different engines, different balance.

For the price you may as well jump on the Bronco or Santa cruise bandwagon with everyone else that figured out the gladiator isn't that great.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Also comparing a mid size truck with a full size they are gonna handle different both on and off road. Diffent weights, different engines, different balance.

For the price you may as well jump on the Bronco or Santa cruise bandwagon with everyone else that figured out the gladiator isn't that great.
Aren't we comparing a Ranger to a Colorado? Mid to mid?

-TJ