Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I have a somewhat different question. I have a large patio and I am using the high hat infrared patio heaters. They are a pain to move around, light, adjust, etc. And they don't look so great sitting on the patio all year. These Little Buddy heaters look like they could solve a bunch of problems - lightweight and easy to use. BUT - how are they as a heat source for this sort of outdoor gathering space? Do I need to be right on top of the heater to get any appreciable warmth. I was thinking of setting 2 or 3 of these a few feet away from our table and chairs. FYI - we also have a monster fire pit, so this is not the only source of heat.
On the open space/outdoor topic, they're really only good for one or two people IMHO. I've used it that way at campsites a couple times on a cold morning when I didn't want to stoke the fire back up as we were going to be leaving soon. As someone noted, a lot of heat goes up, and a little goes forward, so positioning is key.

GMC Tank

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arvada, Colorado, United States
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I'm still nervous about these. Manufacturer says dont use them in doors. Terrifying and puzzling from the start. On the other hand I've watched YouTube videos of people testing them with testing devices in trailers and tents and never setting of the alarms. So I don't know. I've decided to go the diesel heater route and stop worrying about it.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I'm still nervous about these. Manufacturer says dont use them in doors. Terrifying and puzzling from the start. On the other hand I've watched YouTube videos of people testing them with testing devices in trailers and tents and never setting of the alarms. So I don't know. I've decided to go the diesel heater route and stop worrying about it.
In theory, a propane fueled flame will produce CO, but the amounts we're talking about would really only come into play in a small, sealed environment. Their website even lists them as safe for indoor use, though I believe they specify in a well ventilated area. I've used them indoors during an extended power outage, and in tents several times. I carry a carbon monoxide detector with me just to be safe, but so far never a peep. And the unit has a low oxygen sensor that will shut the unit down if the saturation levels get too high.

All that said, I'll probably end up getting a diesel heater eventually especially to avoid the condensation fun, but as I don't do that much cold weather camping, it's a lower priority for now.

The biggest problem I have the the Mr. Heater is if you connect it to a larger tank (at least in the case of my 5lb tank) there seems to be a very specific way you have to open the valve. If you just hook up the hose and crank it open, it never lights (some manner of vapor lock maybe?). You have to ease it open, but not too slowly. Somewhat annoying trying to get it right.